Matthias Yoakum, of Bedford and Augusta County, VA
m. Abt. 1704
- Matthias Yoakum, of Bedford and Augusta County, VAEst 1705 - BEF 1783
- George Yoakum1714 - 1789
Facts and Events
Matthias Yoakum (Yocum) was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Acquisition of Land in Augusta County, VA:
- Page 257.--9th August, 1755. James Campbell to Matthias Yoakham (Yocam), £40, 861 acres on north side Roan Oak above Arthur's Bottom. [Chalkley's Vol. 3].
- Pg. 34 - Land Survey, Mathias Youkam, 20 acres, Roanoke River. Feb. 11, 1764. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 14].
Disposition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 230.--18th February, 1761. William Thompson, of Spring Hill, to Alexander Boyd, gentleman, paymaster to the Virginia Regiment. Whereas, Mathias Yoackum, of Bedford County, yeoman, on November, 1760, constituted William his attorney to convey to Alexander 267 acres, £100, 267 acres on the river. Delivered: Alex. Love, October, 1762.
Will of Matthias Yoakum
From Lincoln County, Kentucky records:
- YOAKUM, MATHIAS. Jan. 29, 1780; February 18, 1783. Wife: Eleanor. Son: George Yoakum. Nephew, George Yoakum. Ex.: wife, George Yoakum. Wit: William Walton, Peter Deyerle, Peter Heancy. [Abstract of Early Kentucky Wills and Inventories, by Estelle Stewart King, pg. 149].
- Yoakam, Matthias X. Written: 1-29-1780, Proved: 2-18-1783. Leg.: wife Eleanor; son Felty Yoakam's oldest son George; other children married except youngest son George. Exrs.: Wife, son George. Wit.: William Walton, Peter Deyerle, Peter Keeney. [Lincoln County, Kentucky Will Book 1, Page 148].
- Will Transcript:
- Will of Matthias Yoakum, dated 1/29/1780
- In the name of God Amen, this the 29rh day of January, Anno Dom: 1780
- I Mathias Yoakum of Botetouri County, Virginia, being sick and weak of body, but of perfect mind and memory, and - calling to mind the mortality of my body, and knowing that is appointed for all men once to die, do make and ordain this to be my last Will and Testament, in the manner and form as followeth, first I recommend my soul to God who gave it and my Body I recommend to the Earth to be buried in a Christian manner at the discretion of my Executors. Imprimis: and as touching such worldly goods wherewith it hath pleased God to bless me with in this life, I give demise and dispose of it in the following manner and form -
- And first to my beloved Wife Eleanor I give and bequeath all my household Goods and furniture during her natural life, and also a dark bay mare and Saddle two Colts, and Cow and Musket and Pistol and four Deer Skins, and a chain halter to her Heirs forever -
- And to my son Felty Yoakums oldest son George his Heir, I give and bequeath one dollar.
- And whereas I have already given what I intended to my other Children who are all married Excepting my youngest son George Yoakum, to him I give and bequeath all my land and Improvements, and also all my Horses, mares and Cattle - excepting what is already bequeathed to my Wife whom hers to maintain during her natural life, and he is to collect all Debts due to me, and also to pay what Debts I owe, and what money is over and above what will pay my just Debts I give and bequeath to my beloved Wife, and also her bed and furniture.
- And lastly I nominate and appoint my Wife Eleanor and my son George to be whole and sole Executors of this my last Will and Testament, and I do hereby Revoke all and every other to be my last Will and Testament the day and year first above Written.
- Signed, Sealed, Published pronounced His and declared by the within Mentioned.
- (signed) Mathias [his Mark] Yaokam
- to be last Will & Testament in presence of William Walton, Peter Ceyerie, Peter Keeney
- Presented at Lincoln Co. Court, 18th day of February 1783, on Oath of Peter Keeny, one of the Witnesses; and on 21st of December 1784 on Oath of Peter Deyerie and ordered recorded.
Records of Matthias Yoakum in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Page 388.--21st May, 1760. Daniel Richardson's estate settlement, by Thomas Parsons, administrator--Paid Philip Halbert; Jno. Vanvill (for a negro), sheriff for 2 levies for 1753; Conrad Huffman, Adam West, Benj. Scott, Peter Reed, Joel Hornback, Henry Shippley, Geo. Bush, Jonathan Coburn, the widow, Leonard Reed, Joseph Skidmore, Austin Scoolcraft, Mr. Churchill, fee in Leonard Reed's suit; Dennis Sullivan's bond (insolvent); Mathias Yeoman (Yeokum?).
- Page 40.--28th November, 1764. Alex. Boyd, merchant in Augusta County, to Alex. Baine, merchant in Virginia, to secure payment of £1092.9.5, and to secure him as surety for Boyd, to James Lyle, merchant of Chesterfield, on account of Boyd, on North Fork of Roanoke called Stanton River, and sometimes by name of Roanoke River, 1200 acres, 400 acres thereof purchased from James Campbell and Lettes, his wife, oaks on Goose Creek, 100 acres more thereof purchased from same, crossing Crooked Run, 98 acres patented to Alexander Boyd, 30 acres more, part thereof, on Roanoke, patented to Alexander Boyd, 14th February, 1761; corner James Campbell, 267 acres, part thereof purchased from Mathias Yoakam, 305 acres thereof, entered on Augusta surveyor's book, and surveyed by Wm. Preston, one of the surveyors of said County. The aforesaid tracts adjoin and the plantation thereon, well known by the name of Fort Lewis. Conveys also 5 negroes. Mortgage. Teste: Wm. Watts, Alex. Love, David Ross, Charles McPherson.
- Vol. 1 - MAY 19, 1768. - (157) Constables: Mathias Yoakam, vice John Neelley; Thomas Patton, on New River.
Information on Matthias Yoakum (Yocum)
The Copeland/Yocum Family of Illinois
Contact: Joyce Hagerty
Email me for additional information and sources. Please give me the name of the database as I have several on World Connect.
Descendant Register, Generation No. 1
1. Elinor ---?--- was born ABT 1712, and died 1782. She married Mathias Yoakum ABT 1735. He was born ABT 1699, and died BEF 18 FEB 1783 in Lincoln County, Kentucky.
- Children of Elinor ---?--- and Mathias Yoakum are:+ 2 i. Mathias Yoakum , Jr. was born ABT 1736 in Tulpehocken Creek, Now Berks County, Pennsylvania, and died 28 DEC 1784 in Hardy County, Virginia.
- 3 ii. Jesse Yoakum was born ABT 1738 in Pennsylvania, and died UNKNOWN. He married Diane Dixon UNKNOWN. She was born ABT 1740, and died UNKNOWN.
- + 4 iii. John Yocum was born 1747 in Hardy County, Virginia, and died 4 SEP 1839 in Clay County, Indiana.
- + 5 iv. William Yoakum was born 1750 in Hampshire County, Va, now Hardy County, West Virginia, and died UNKNOWN.
- 6 v. Henry Yoakum was born ABT 1753 in Mercer County, Kentucky, and died 1815 in Casey, Butler County, Kentucky. He married Elizabeth Kernes. She was born ABT 1755, and died UNKNOWN.
- 7 vi. George Yoakum was born ABT 1755 in Mercer County, Kentucky, and died UNKNOWN. He married Elizabeth Taylor 15 OCT 1780 in Mercer County, Kentucky. She was born ABT 1760, and died UNKNOWN.