Matthias Benson, Sr., of the Cowpasture, Augusta County, VA
b.Est. Abt. 1726
Facts and Events
Matthias Benson, Sr. was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Will of Matthias Benson, Sr.
From "Abstracts of the Wills and Inventories of Bath County, Virginia, 1791-1842", By Jean Randolph Bruns, pg. 6:
pg. 48 - Will of Mathias Benson, Sr. (X) of the Cowpasture, dated Dec. 1, 1794.
Beq: to sons George, Errowin and Babel $1 or 6 shillings and no more
- to daughter Elizabeth Pullin $1 and no more
- affirm gift of slave to Gust to Babel'
- to wife Nelly land on dry branch, a branch of Jackson River, and balance of estate, including Negro woman named Patience, boys Harry and Joseph and wench Nanney
Wit: William Sherard, Paschall Davis and Martha Davis
Probated February 1795 Court
Records of Matthias Benson in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Vol. 1 - MARCH, 1780 (A). - Benston vs. Benston and Gwinn.--Deposition of Mathias Benston, 26th January, 1777. Mathias had a son George.
- Page 267.--29th December, 1782. Inquisition at David Frame's before John McCreerey, one of the Coroners, on view of body of Gerrel Pheland-- Witnesses John McRoberts, James Young, that on said day they found said Wheland lying in the Cowpasture River without any wounds. Verdict: He was drowned in attempting to cross the river. Pat. Miller, Andrew Suttlington, Robt. McCreerey, Wm. Black, Alex. Black, Abram Hempenstall, David Frame, Jeremiah Frame, Mathias Benston, Sampson Willson, Chas. Cameron, James Henry.
- Vol. 1 - MAY, 1786 (A to B). - Mathias Benson vs. Samuel Anderson (Long Glade).--Writ, 17th April, 1784.