Facts and Events
Matthew Robertson was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Matthew Robertson's land (Beverley Manor NE, 396 acres acquired from John Moffett, on 20 November 1746) as shown on the map meticulously drawn by J.R. Hildebrand, cartographer. This map is copyrighted©, used by permission of John Hildebrand, son of J.R. Hildebrand, April, 2009.
Disposition of Land from Chalkley's:
Will of Matthew Robertson
From Chalkley's Augusta County, Virginia Court Records:
Records of Matthew Robertson in Augusta County, VA
Information on Matthew Robertson
Family Group Record FamilySearch® Ancestral File™ v4.19
Matthew ROBERTSON (AFN:1R5H-ZCG) Born: 1720 Place: , , Augusta, Virginia Died: Aft 18 1786 Feb Place: , , Augusta, Virginia Married: Abt 1738 Place: , , Augusta, Virginia Father: Mother:
Martha GIVEN (AFN:1R5H-ZDN) Born: 1720 Place: , Antrim, Ireland Died: Aft 18 1786 Feb Place: , Augusta, Virginia Married: Abt 1738 Place: , , Augusta, Virginia Father: Mother:
1. Sex Name
M James ROBERTSON (AFN:KBWC-94) Born: 16 Nov 1738 Place: , Augusta, VA Died: 28 Aug 1833 Place: , , Lincoln, Kentucky
2. Sex Name F Elizabeth ROBERTSON (AFN:1R5H-ZFV) Born: 1744 Place: , , Augusta, Virginia
3. Sex Name M William ROBERTSON (AFN:1R5H-ZG3) Born: Abt 1748 Place: , , Augusta, Virginia
Matthew ROBERTSON b c. 1713 Coleraine, Ireland m. c1738 Martha. He d. 1786 in Augusta Co. leaving chn: 1. Col. James b. 16 NOV 1738 d. 28 AUG 1833 Montgomery Co. VA
m. Margaret POAGE, dau of Robert Sr. 3/5 MAY 1762 -- sister of Robert "Sr" of Botetourt Co. Va
2. Col. Alexander b. 1 MAR 1741 d. 13 JAN 1810 Augusta Co. VA
m. Elizabeth "Betsey" CRAWFORD, dau of Patrick. [She might be his 2nd wife.] She b. 18 OCT 1751
3. Capt. William bapt 25 DEC 1748 d. 12 NOV 1731
m. Ann CRAWFORD, possibly dau of John who was bondsman 3 JAN 1788
4. Jane b. c1741/43 d. 25 NOV 1825 m. John Blair, son of Alex. 5. Elizabeth d. bef DEC 1787 m. Sgt Patrick Christian, son of WM 6. possibly Ann -- named in Chalkley, but not in will
http://wc.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=gwt1&id=I208 ID: I208 Name: Matthew ROBERTSON Given Name: Matthew Surname: ROBERTSON Sex: M _UID: 2F2C2DA2503BD611BD2CE8F2169CEC2B28E7 Change Date: 20 Oct 2003 Note: Matthew married Martha __?__ before 1738, probably in Pennsylvania. Som e descendants say she was Martha Paxton. The Matheson records could ind icate she was a Matheson.
1) Alexander - married Elizabeth Crawford, daughter of Patrick Crawfor d; d. 1816, Augusta Co., VA (Will Book 12, p. 205). He is the Major Ale xander Robertson of the Augusta militia in the American Revolution.
2) William - bapt. 25 Dec 1748 by Rev. John Craig; name of wife not gi ven in records (Anne?); dau. Elizabeth m. Charles A. Stuart; d. 12 Nov 1 831, Augusta Co., VA (Will Book 18, p. 188). "#193, Anne Robertson, wif e of William, d. 10 Dec 1815, aged 48; Wiliam d. 12 Nov 1831, 83 years o ld. "A zealous patriot and officer from 1775 until the close of the Rev olution; a faithful magistrate, a good citizen and an honest upright ma n."
3) Jane - married John Blair; 7 childrens; d. aft 1808.
4) Elizabeth - married Patrick Christian 20 Jun 1766; 5 children; d. b ef 1786
5) James - b. 16 Nov 1738; married 5 May 1792 Margaret Poage; 8 childr en; d. 8 Aug 1836, Montgomery Co., VA.
1 2 Birth: 1725 in Albemarle County, Virginia Death: SEP 1786 in Augusta Co., Virginia Will: 18 FEB 1786 A;ugusta County, Virginia Event: Will Proved 29 SEP 1786 Augusta County , Virginia Note: Will names his wife Martha and five children.
Father: James ROBERTSON b: 1 OCT 1685 in Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland Mother: Rebekah ROYSTON b: 9 FEB 1689 in Albemarle, Virginia
Marriage 1 Martha GIVEN Married: BEF 1738 in Pennsylvania Note: Some descendants say she was Martha Paxton. The Matheson records could i ndicate she was a Matheson. Children
Elizabeth ROBERTSON b: 1736 James ROBERTSON b: 3 FEB 1737 Alexander ROBERTSON b: 1743 Jane ROBERTSON b: ABT 1745 William ROBERTSON b: 25 DEC 1748
Sources: Abbrev: Robertson Title: compiled by Katherine G. Bushman, "Robertson of Long Meadow Run, August a County, Virginia" (Katherine G. Bushman, 12 Taylor, Staunton, VA 2440 1) a County, Virginia" a County, Virginia". Katherine G. Bushman, 12 Taylor, Staunton, VA 2440 1. Text: at p. 8 Abbrev: Cemetery - Robertson Title: compiled and published by the WPA in 1936, Records from the Augusta Sto ne Presbyterian Church Old Cemetery, Fort Defiance, Virginia (copy Fann y Bayly King Library, Staunton, VA) ne Presbyterian Church Old Cemetery, Fort Defiance, Virginia ne Presbyterian Church Old Cemetery, Fort Defiance, Virginia. copy Fann y Bayly King Library, Staunton, VA.