Matthew Robertson, of Beverley Manor, Augusta County, VA
m. bef. 1721
- William Robertson, of Beverley Manor, Augusta County, VA1718/19 - 1812
- Matthew Robertson, of Beverley Manor, Augusta County, VA1720 - AFT 1786
- James Robertson, Jr., of Beverley Manor, Augusta County, VAabt 1720 - Bef 1754
- Elizabeth RobertsonABT 1721 -
- Jean RobertsonABT 1731 -
Facts and Events
Matthew Robertson was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Matthew Robertson's land (Beverley Manor NE, 396 acres acquired from John Moffett, on 20 November 1746) as shown on the map meticulously drawn by J.R. Hildebrand, cartographer. This map is copyrighted©, used by permission of John Hildebrand, son of J.R. Hildebrand, April, 2009.
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 161.--20th November, 1746. John Moffett, mason, to Mathew Robertson, of the Province of Pennsylvania. Whereas, by patent 6th September, 1736, to Beverley & Co., and Beverley bought out the other partners 17th September, 1736, and Beverley by deed 29th February, 1739, granted to John Moffett 396 acres, part of Beverley Manor, £110 current money Virginia; 396 acres above on a branch of Shanando called Cathey's Run. Witnesses, Robert King and Silas Hart. Acknowledged by John, and dower released by Mary, his wife, 20th November, 1746.
- Land Patent Book 31: Matthew Robertson & William Robertson, 85 acres, Augusta County on Middle River joining the Patent Line of Beverley Manor; 10 July 1755, pg. 497. 10 Shillings. [Source: Virginia Genealogical Society Quarterly, Vol. 31, No. 2, pg. 160].
Disposition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 785.--24th May, 1750. Matthew Robertson to Wm. Robertson, 137 acres on Cathey's River in Beverley Manor, part of 396 acres cold by Beverley to John Moffet, late deceased, by Wm. Beverley, 29th February, 1739, Martha, wife of Mathew. Teste: James Robertson, James Brown.
Will of Matthew Robertson
From Chalkley's Augusta County, Virginia Court Records:
- Page 544 - - 18th February, 1786. Matthew Robertson's will - - to son, Alexander; to son, William; to wife, Martha; to son-in-law, John Blair; to son-in-law, Patrick Christian; to son, James. Teste: Robert Kenny, Archibald Dickson, Wm. Trotter. Proved, 20th September, 1786, by the witnesses. Executors William and Alexander qualify.
- Page 547.--18th December, 1786. Mathew Robertson's estate appraised.
Records of Matthew Robertson in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley's: [unless otherwise noted]
- Page 665.--28th February, 1749. Same (From William Beverley) to James Henderson, 157 acres in Beverley Manor. Corner Mathew Robertson; on Cathey's River; corner Robert Kenny. Teste: William Palmer, Robert Cunningham.
- Page 72.--11th September, 1754. James Robertson's will--To wife (with child); sons, George and Alexander; to each of daughters (?) 'till the heirs come of age. Executors, Mathew Robertson, John Poage. Teste: Wm. Robertson. Alex. Matheson, Jno. Craig. 20th November, 1754. Proved by Rev. Jno. Craig and Robertson. Executors refused to execute. and widow Elizabeth qualified executrix, with sureties John Poage and Saml, Henderson. Elizabeth's mark.
- Page 174.--4th September, 1756. Alexander Matheson's will, doctor To William Robertson, his rifle gun and flowered plush jacket; to John Robertson, great coat, saddle and bridle, course stockings and course shirts; to James, son of Mathew Robertson, cutlass; to Mathew Robertson, £6; to Silas Hart, £6; to brother Gilbert Matheson, 5 shillings; to brother Mathew Matheson; to father, John Matheson, 5 shillings and remainder of the estate. Executors, Mathew Robertson and Silas Hart. Teste: James Henderson, James Robertson, Wm. Bell. Proved, 18th November, 1756, by Henderson. Mathew refuses to execute. Silas Hart qualifies with James Allen and Daniel Smith.
- 19 August 1760, p. 391 - On the Petition of Mathew Robertson & others for leave to turn the Road from the Stone Meeting House to King Mill thro the fenced Ground of William Hamilton It is Ordered that John Anderson John Pattison and David Bell do Veiw the Same and report the Conveniences or Inconveniences Attending such Alteration to the next Court. Augusta County Road Orders 1745-1769
- 19 May 1761, p. 5 - Mathew Robertson is hereby Appointed Surveyor of the Highway in the room of Thomas Stevenson and It is Ordered that with the Adjacent Tithable persons that Usally worked Under the said Stevenson he Clear and keep the same in repair According to Law. Augusta County Road Orders 1745-1769
- Page 496.--8th March, 1764. Thomas Paxton and Rebecca to Samuel Paxton, £200, 500 acres in Borden's tract; corner Archibald Alexander, black oak by the Punch Bowl. Teste: Mathew Robertson, John J. Jarvis, John () Robertson, James Edmunston.
- Page 73.--19th August, 1766. James Henderson and Martha ( ) to John Stuart, £119.15, 157 acres in Beverley Manor; corner Mathew Robertson on Cathey's River; corner Robert Kenney's. Teste: Walter Cunningham, William Brown. Delivered: Archibald Dixon, 8th September, 1785. Teste: Samuel McConkey. deputy clerk.
- 21 March 1769, p. 80 - Ordered that Archibald Hamilton Hugh Allen & Matthew Robertson they being first sworn View the most Convenient way from the Stone meeting House to James Kerrs and make report of the Conveniances and Inconveniences at the next Court. Augusta County Road Orders 1745-1769
- Page 163.--9th January, 1771. William Robertson and Letis to John Stewart, £200, on north side of Middle River of Shanandore, part of two tracts: A, sold to John Moffett by Beverley, 24th May, 1750; B, patented to Mathew and William Robertson, 10th July, 1755, 196 acres; corner Mathew Robertson. Delivered: Jas. Robertson, 5th April, 1797.
- Page 434.--6th August, 1771. John Robertson's will--To wife; to son, Alexander, infant; to children; to six daughters. Executors, wife Mary and nephew Alex. Robertson, son of brother Mathew Robertson. Teste: Silas Hart, Mathew Robertson, Matthew Matthewson. Proved, 21st August. 1771, by the witnesses.
Information on Matthew Robertson
Family Group Record FamilySearch® Ancestral File™ v4.19
Matthew ROBERTSON (AFN:1R5H-ZCG)
Born: 1720 Place: , , Augusta, Virginia
Died: Aft 18 1786 Feb Place: , , Augusta, Virginia
Married: Abt 1738 Place: , , Augusta, Virginia
Martha GIVEN (AFN:1R5H-ZDN)
Born: 1720 Place: , Antrim, Ireland
Died: Aft 18 1786 Feb Place: , Augusta, Virginia
Married: Abt 1738 Place: , , Augusta, Virginia
1. Sex Name
M James ROBERTSON (AFN:KBWC-94)
Born: 16 Nov 1738 Place: , Augusta, VA
Died: 28 Aug 1833 Place: , , Lincoln, Kentucky
2. Sex Name
F Elizabeth ROBERTSON (AFN:1R5H-ZFV)
Born: 1744 Place: , , Augusta, Virginia
3. Sex Name
M William ROBERTSON (AFN:1R5H-ZG3)
Born: Abt 1748 Place: , , Augusta, Virginia
Matthew ROBERTSON b c. 1713 Coleraine, Ireland m. c1738 Martha.
He d. 1786 in Augusta Co. leaving chn:
1. Col. James b. 16 NOV 1738 d. 28 AUG 1833 Montgomery Co. VA
m. Margaret POAGE, dau of Robert Sr. 3/5 MAY 1762 -- sister
of Robert "Sr" of Botetourt Co. Va
2. Col. Alexander b. 1 MAR 1741 d. 13 JAN 1810 Augusta Co. VA
m. Elizabeth "Betsey" CRAWFORD, dau of Patrick. [She might
be his 2nd wife.] She b. 18 OCT 1751
3. Capt. William bapt 25 DEC 1748 d. 12 NOV 1731
m. Ann CRAWFORD, possibly dau of John who was bondsman
3 JAN 1788
4. Jane b. c1741/43 d. 25 NOV 1825 m. John Blair, son of Alex.
5. Elizabeth d. bef DEC 1787 m. Sgt Patrick Christian, son of WM
6. possibly Ann -- named in Chalkley, but not in will
Name: Matthew ROBERTSON
Given Name: Matthew
Change Date: 20 Oct 2003
Matthew married Martha __?__ before 1738, probably in Pennsylvania. Som e descendants say she was Martha Paxton. The Matheson records could ind icate she was a Matheson.
1) Alexander - married Elizabeth Crawford, daughter of Patrick Crawfor d; d. 1816, Augusta Co., VA (Will Book 12, p. 205). He is the Major Ale xander Robertson of the Augusta militia in the American Revolution.
2) William - bapt. 25 Dec 1748 by Rev. John Craig; name of wife not gi ven in records (Anne?); dau. Elizabeth m. Charles A. Stuart; d. 12 Nov 1 831, Augusta Co., VA (Will Book 18, p. 188). "#193, Anne Robertson, wif e of William, d. 10 Dec 1815, aged 48; Wiliam d. 12 Nov 1831, 83 years o ld. "A zealous patriot and officer from 1775 until the close of the Rev olution; a faithful magistrate, a good citizen and an honest upright ma n."
3) Jane - married John Blair; 7 childrens; d. aft 1808.
4) Elizabeth - married Patrick Christian 20 Jun 1766; 5 children; d. b ef 1786
5) James - b. 16 Nov 1738; married 5 May 1792 Margaret Poage; 8 childr en; d. 8 Aug 1836, Montgomery Co., VA.
Birth: 1725 in Albemarle County, Virginia
Death: SEP 1786 in Augusta Co., Virginia
Will: 18 FEB 1786 A;ugusta County, Virginia
Event: Will Proved 29 SEP 1786 Augusta County , Virginia
Note: Will names his wife Martha and five children.
Father: James ROBERTSON b: 1 OCT 1685 in Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland
Mother: Rebekah ROYSTON b: 9 FEB 1689 in Albemarle, Virginia
Marriage 1 Martha GIVEN
Married: BEF 1738 in Pennsylvania
Note: Some descendants say she was Martha Paxton. The Matheson records could i ndicate she was a Matheson.
Elizabeth ROBERTSON b: 1736
James ROBERTSON b: 3 FEB 1737
Alexander ROBERTSON b: 1743
Jane ROBERTSON b: ABT 1745
William ROBERTSON b: 25 DEC 1748
Title: compiled by Katherine G. Bushman, "Robertson of Long Meadow Run, August a County, Virginia" (Katherine G. Bushman, 12 Taylor, Staunton, VA 2440 1) a County, Virginia" a County, Virginia". Katherine G. Bushman, 12 Taylor, Staunton, VA 2440 1.
Text: at p. 8
Abbrev: Cemetery - Robertson
Title: compiled and published by the WPA in 1936, Records from the Augusta Sto ne Presbyterian Church Old Cemetery, Fort Defiance, Virginia (copy Fann y Bayly King Library, Staunton, VA) ne Presbyterian Church Old Cemetery, Fort Defiance, Virginia ne Presbyterian Church Old Cemetery, Fort Defiance, Virginia. copy Fann y Bayly King Library, Staunton, VA.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 IGI Record.
Help fund new features!