Facts and Events
Matthew Elder was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Will of Matthew Elder
- Will dated 29 April, 1783, proved 20 May 1783, estate inventory 19 Aug, 1783, Washington County, Virginia Courthouse, Abingdon, Virginia - Will Book 1, pg.70. Estate to children: Andrew, Agness Elder, Martha Bowls, Jane Collier, Mary Snodgrass, Rebecca Elder, Robert & James; execs. Robert Elder & wife [not named] witnessses: Andrew Kincannon, John Graham, Elizabeth Kincannon.
- Matthew Elder's Will. p. 1144 - May 20 1783. The last will and testament of Mathew Elder Deceased was exhibited in court and proved by the Oaths of Andrew Kincannon and John Graham Witnesses thereto and ordered to be recorded. (Ibid) And on the motion of Mary Elder Executrix and Robert Elder, Executor therein named who made Oaths thereto and acknowledged their Bond in the sum of one thousand pounds with Andrew Kincannon and James Kincannon their securities therefore certificate is granted for obtaining letters of Administration on the Decedents Estate with the said Will annexed.
Records in Botetourt County, VA
- Botetourt County, p. 550 - Oct 30 1773 - Matthew Elder bought 482 acres on Forks of James River from Abraham Brown & wife Margaret
- Botetourt County, p. 231 - Aug 1774 - Matthew Elder involved in court case.
- Botetourt County, p. 255 - May 1776 - Matthew Elder charged with stopping road from North River to John Paxton's.
- Botetourt County, p. 263 - May 1777 - Matthew Elder fined for stopping road.
Records in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Page 527.--19th August, 1777. David Dryden's estate settled by Samuel Lyle--1773, March 2, paid John McCollom, Jr.; legacies paid August 27th, to James Dryden, Elliner Dryden, Thomas Dryden, Nathan Dryden, Wm. Dryden, Dorothy Dryden, David Dryden; 1772, September 10th, received from Thomas Leekey; October 31st, Mathew Elder; 1776, August 27th, Dominick Moran.
- From Ancestry Message Board:
- Ava CATE was daughter of Robert ELDER (& (1) Sarah Moore)ap, wife of Daniel CATE. Andrew and Elizabeth Kincannon were witnesses to will of Matthew ELDER, Botetourt County, VA. 1783 (Annals of Southwest Virginia, 1769 - 1800, by Hon. Lewis P. Summers).
- Matthew Elder died in Washington Co., VA. 1783, he had been a resident of Botetourt County prior to Washington Co., VA. (ap) The majority of the above was written by Maud Horn's, ATCHLEY HISTORY Second Edition by Dr. Paul L. Atchley and Mary Ann Morris Thompson Knoxville, Tennessee, 1965.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Ancestry.com Public Member Trees.