Facts and Events
Mrk Swadley was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Acquisition of Land in Virginia:
- Page 487.--29th May, 1761. Mary Wood, &c. (as above, (William Green, surviving joint tenant, &c.,)), to Mark Swatley, £27.10, on South Fork, &c., as above, 426 acres, part of 1470 acres patented to Robert Green, 25th June, 1747. Delivered: A. J. as above
- Page 8 - Mark Swadley, 130 acres, Branch of Potomack. April 15, 1761. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 3].
- Page 8 - Mark Swadley, 40 acres Branch of Potomack. Apr. 15, 1761. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 3].
- Page 90.--Patent to Mark Swadley, deceased, 14th July, 1769, and descended to Henry Swadley, of Rockingham, as son and heir, on a branch of Black Thorn, called Winter Spring, at a place called the Lower Meadows.
Estate Records of Mark Swadley
- Page 536.--18th August, 1772. Sebastian Hover's and Mathew Patton's bond (with Jacob Nicholas, James Dyer) as administrators of Mark Swadley.
- Vol. 1 - AUGUST 18, 1772 - (403) Admn. of Mark Swadley granted to Sebastian Hover.
- Page 67.--14th September, 1772. Mark Swatley's estate appraised by Robert Davis. Christian Ruleman, &c. Henry Pickel's bond, George Evab's bond, Godlove Gabert's bond, Frederick Props' bond, William Jordan's accompt, Zeacriah Rexrode's bond.
- Page 8.--18th March, 1778. Mark Swadley's estate in account with Mathew Patton and Sebastian Hover--Paid Leonard Simon, Richard Beven, John Jordan, Nicholas Seamans, Christopher Crommett, Margaret Dyche, Peter Smith, Cutlip Gabbart; received William Jordan's account; Lewis Bakers' do.
- Page 10.--15th September, 1772. Sale bill of above (Mark Swadley's estate) to, viz: Anthony Regar, Thos. Feemster (Cowpasture), Aron Skihawk, David Whitton, William Darling, David Taylor, Martin Shole, George Bushberry, James Wilke, Jacob Brack, William and James Dyer, Adam Look, Jno. Dunwoodey.
Records in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Page 159.--19th August, 1756. Jacob Zorn's appraisement, by Jacob Sivart, John Dunkell, Charles Wolson. Also additional appraisement, by Houston Hover, Mark Swatley, Christian Eavach.
- Page 477.--29th May, 1761. Mary Wood, of Frederick, and James and Moses Green, of Culpeper, to Michael Proops, £30, on South Fork of South Branch of Potowmack; cor. tract sold to Mark Swadley, 415 acres, part of 1470 acres patented to Robert Green, 25th June 1747. Teste: Mark ( ) Swately. Delivered as above.
- Vol. 1 - MAY 18, 1762. - (211) Following received certificates for naturalization: Henry Stone, Sebastian Hover, Gabriel Kyle, Henry Peninger, Woolrick Coonrod, Mack Swadley, John Dunkle, Michael Mallow, Michael Props, George Hammer, Nicholas Havenor, Henry Pickle, Ludwick Havener, Frederick Easter.
- Page 324.--22d March, 1764. Michael Rhine's vendue recorded--To Nicholas Havener, Henry Flesher, Jacob Rolman, Frederick Opp, Thos. Miller, John Davis, Adam Stroud, Henry Stone. Castle Hover, Wm. Robinson, Jacob Bour, Paslin Hover, Elizabeth Rhine, Leonard Props, Jno. Dunkle, Peter Smith, Geo. Bush, Nicholas Summers, Mark Swatley, Henry Pickle, Francis Evick, Leonard Simmons.
- Page 631.--20th June, 1764. Jacob ( ) Rollman and Margret ( ) to Christian Rollman, £50, 200 acres, part of 600 acres patented to James Wood. Wm. Russell and Wm. Green, conveyed by them to Jacob, 23d May, 1763; corner Catherine Zorn's land. Teste: Mark ( ) Swadley.
- Page 35.--19th August, 1767. Settlement of Valentine Coil's estate, by Geo. Hammer and Geo. Coile--Cash paid Gabriel Coile, George Caplinger; cash paid Francis Evick, Geo. Tice, Woolrick Conrod; cash paid Colien Havenor, Nicholas Havenor, Jno. Murray, Henry Stone, Mark Swatley, Christian Grod, Barned Lince, Martin Coile.
- Page 108.--17th May, 1768. Sale bill and settlement of estate of Andrew Smith, recorded, Henry Penninger, administrator, c. t. a.--Sold to, viz: Mark Swedley, Joseph Skidmore, Jr., Mathias Dice, Ludwick Wagener, Jones Friend, John Dunkle, Jacob Peters, Philip Props, Powel Shanour, Christian Grace (Grad?), Geo. Dunkle, William Waiett, Christian Rolsman, Valentine Gile, Charles Power, Martin Shob, Leners Seaman.
- Page 239.--17th August, 1769. Settlement recorded of estate of Stephen Conrad (Geo. Conrod, executor)--Paid, viz: Jacob Bear, John Fudge, Jno. Michl. Stophelmire, Mathias Kersh, Michl. Summy, Jno. Seller, Valentine Mitcher, Paul Lingal, Mauks Swadley, Jacob Archinbright, Peter Smith, Saml. Maggot, Michl. Shirley, Jacob Shell, Christian Pikle, Jacob Peters, Conrad Peterfish, George Fullingar, Geo. Mallo.
- Page 477.--18th December, 1769. Michael Proops and Catherine to Henry Stone, Ludwick Wagoner, Mark Swadley and Christian Roleman commissioners for the members of the congregation of the Lutheran Church at the South Fork of Potowmack, 5 shillings, 3-1/2 acres, part of 415 acres whereon Michael now lives for use of the congregation forever. Teste: Leonard ( ) Proopst, Robert Davis, Ludwig Adam Wagener, William Davis.
- Page 196 - Bastian Hover, 89 acres, South Branch of Potomac. Adjoining Henry Stone, Mark Swadley. March 28, 1772. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 71].
- ↑ International Genealogical Index. (LDS Church, 1999-2005).