Facts and Events
Mark Evans was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Estate Records of Mark Evans
- Page 116.--16th February, 1748. Danl. Evans, administrator of Mark Evans, with sureties Archd. Grymes, John Robinson.
- Page 191.--10th March, 1748. Mark Evans' appraisement by Ephraim Vause, James Nelley, Joseph Robinson.
Land Acquisition in Virginia
Mark Evans received a grant of 1,200 acres (later surveyed as 1,910 acres) at Evans Springs, in what is now the Williamson Road area, near Roanoke. He was the first settler in the area. [Source: "A Place Apart: A Brief History of the Early Williamson Road and North Roanoke Valley Residents and Places, by Helen R. Prillaman].
Records of Mark Evans in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley's Augusta County Records:
- Vol. 1 - MARCH 10, 1745/6. - (20) Mark Evans, William Kervine, John McFarron, James McGomerie appd. Overseers of Road Blazed by Orange Co. from inhabitants of Roanoke to top Blue Ridge at bounds of Brunswick Co. and Cap. Robinson and John Mills are to lay off precincts and tithables.
- Vol. 1 - November 19, 1746. - (131) Road ordered from Ridge dividing waters of New River from waters of So. Br. Roanoak to end in a road that leads over the Blue Ridge--James Cambell and Mark Evans, overseers. Old Mr. Robinson and his sons, Thos. Wilson and his two sons, Wm. Beus and his brother, all the Ledfords, Saml. Brown, Henry Brown, Saml. Niely, James Burk, James Bean, Francis Estham, Ephraim Voss and servants, Francis Summerfield, John Mason, Tasker and Thomas Tosh, John and Peter Dill, Uriah Evans's sons, Mathuselah Griffiths and sons, John Thomas, Peter Kender.
- Page 87.--10th August, 1748. Daniel Monahan's appraisement by James Davies and Mark Evans.
- Page 525.--11th July, 1751. Same to same (Daniel Evans to Peter Evans), 400 acres same, by house of Mark Evans. Proved as to James Porteus, deceased, by the other witnesses,. 26th November, 1751.
Information on Mark Evans
From The Roanoke Convention & Visitors Bureau Website:
- The History Of Roanoke
- Known as the "Capital of the Blue Ridge," and a crossroads for commerce, the city of Roanoke’s history began in the 1740s. Mark Evans and Tasker Tosh came from Pennslyvania and took up land near the salt licks where Indian and animal trails crossed in the center of the valley.