Facts and Events
||New Brunswick, Canada
||8 Feb 1844
||Manhattan, New York, New York, United StatesMember the Fourth Congregational Church, Bleecker & corner of Hancock Street
||1 Aug 1846
||Manhattan, New York, New York, United StatesMember of the Knickerbocker Union No. 15 Daughters of Temperance
||3 Sep 1850
||Manhattan, New York, New York, United StatesAge 27, 9th Ward, 3rd Election District
||Manhattan, New York, New York, United StatesAge 34, 9th Ward, 4th District, Alien
||2 Jul 1870
||Manhattan, New York, New York, United States237 Bleecker St, 9th Ward, 17th Election District: Occupation: Keeping House
||23 Apr 1882
||Manhattan, New York, New York, United States247 Bleecker Street - 2nd floor: Cause of Death: Disease of the Mitral Valve, Hypertrophy of the Heart
||25 Apr 1882
||Brooklyn, Kings, New York, United StatesGreenwood Cemetery: Lot 16895, Section 167
Maria L Taber's Final Resting Place
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 James Taber family, in New York, New York, United States. 1850 U.S. Census Population Schedule, 3 Sep 1850.
- ↑ James Taber family, in New York Secretary of State. State Census, New York County, New York, 1855, Jun 1855.
ED 4, Ward 9, New York City, Dwelling 193, Family 357, Lines 31-35
Mariah? Taber - Years resident in the city or town: 32; Naturalized: No, Alien
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 Maria Taber, in Find A Grave.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Death Certificate No. 420026, in NYC Death Records.
Source: NYC Municipal Archives: Information on Death Certificate: Age at Death = 67 yrs, 7 mos = DOB, Oct 1814; Resident for 58 years, which would make immigration year 1824; Father's Origin = London, England; Mother's Origin = New Brunswick. Age at death = 67 doesn't correlate with reported ages in census'. Perhaps "67" is a typo. Death at age 61 fits with known information.
Maria's maiden name, "Levi" and that she was a "jewess" is reported in Clarence Wilbur Taber's Genealogy and Autobiography, self-published November 1, 1952. That name has not been found in any records. Interred in Green-Wood Cemetery in her husband's Lot 16895 are Benjamin L. Lewin (Died: 9 OCT 1858, age 77 years and 6 months; Death Notice in the NY Evening Post, 12 Oct 1858, Pg 3, Col. 8) and Isaac Lavin, also referred to in the Green-Wood records as Isaac Lewin & c. Lot 16895 was purchased on 21 Aug 1866, it appears for the purpose of re-interring both individuals, as their remains were moved from other Lots on 27 Aug 1866 to Lot 16895. Their surnames "Lewin" and "Lavin" are similar to "Levi," and thus raise the suspicion that either one, or some form of either one may be Maria's correct family of origin surname. Benjamin L. Lewin would be a likely age for Maria's father. A tax record for Isaac Lewin, DOB 1818, England, and living in the same neighborhood as James Taber has been found. He could possibly be Maria's brother.
Lot 16895 Interment Card Maria Taber Interment Card Interment Record for Maria Taber
- ↑ United States Census 1870.
"United States Census, 1870," index and images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/M8XR-256 : accessed 30 Apr 2013), James Taber, New York, United States; citing p. 9, family 83, NARA microfilm publication M593, FHL microfilm 552481
- ↑ The Crystal Fount & Rechabite Recorder.
Publisher: Burnett & Aikman, 152 Fulton Street, New York, NY
The Crystal Fount and Rechabite Recorder, 1 Aug 1846 Pledge Directory of the Order-New York District Virtue, Love, Temperance Notice: Knickerbocker Union No. 15, Daughters of Temperance 293 Bleecker Street Cold Water for Me - A Temperance Glee
- ↑ The New-york Daily Tribune, 8 Feb 1844.
Church Festival and Fair Congregational Churches in The City of New York History of the Fourth Congregational Church
- ↑ James Taber Family was enumerated a second time on 20 Dec 1870 in the 1870 United States Census. The second enumeration places the family at 237 Bleecker Street, in the 17th Election District, 9th Ward, and without the previous listing of a domestic named Catherine Dayton. United States Census, 1870," index and images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/M866-39T : accessed 30 Apr 2013), James Taber, New York, United States; citing p. 48, family , NARA microfilm publication M593, FHL microfilm 552522
- ↑ According to son Wesley Taber's Death Certificate, his mother, Maria L. Taber was born in Nova Scotia.