b.1805 Phelps, Ontario Co, NY
d.13 FEB 1850
m. 30 DEC 1803
Facts and Events
Antrim Township......1875 (Swiawassee Co, MI)
It is speculated that the name came from Antrim, Ireland or the town of Antrim in New Hampshire. Early settlers include Allen Beard (pronounced Baird) and his brother-in-law Lyman Melvin of New York. They purchased land on what is now known as Beard Rd.
Peter Cook And Alanson Alling were soon neighbors of the brother-in-laws. Other early pioneers include; Calvin Howard, Mortimore B. Martin, Almond Harmon and his brothers, Harvey, Chauncey and Daniel, Nathaniel Durfee, John Adams, Mortimore Martin, John Ward, Charles Locke, John Near and Horace Flint.
The Harvey brothers built a sawmill at the Glass River area. Other owners of the sawmill include Thomas Munger and later Issac and Walter Wright. The small village consisted of a school, blacksmith shop, sawmill store and church.
It was named Antrim, but later changed to Glass River. John Near was the first postmaster. Elected officials for the township were: Thomas B. Flint, Charles Locke, John Ward, Allen Beard., Henry Harmon, Lyman Melvin, Horace Flint, Hiram Van Natter, Peter Cook and Chauncey Harmon. The first election being held on April 2, 1838 at the home of Almond Harmon. Even some of the township drains are named after these pioneers: Peck, Morgan, Clay, Griffith, Scribner, Love and Neal.
Nicholson, now a ghost town, was located in Antrim Twp. Joeseph C. Nicholson became the postmaster on July 18, 1896 and it closed on Jan. 31, 1901. The town had a church and a general store.
At one time the township had ten country schools. Today, Antrim Township has three cemeteries.
ANTRIM TOWNSHIP MELVIN GRAVE: Single grave. Located in section 19, on Beard Road is the grave of Lyman Melvin. He died 13 Feb. 1850.