m. 27 APR 1814
m. 16 AUG 1843
Facts and Events
There is 1 vital record available on MyHeritage for Livingston Maturin Rev Glover, including birth records, marriage records, and death records. Vital records are historical records that are typically recorded around the actual time of the event, which means they are likely accurate. Vital records include information like the event date and place, and the person's occupation and residence. Vital records also often include information about the person's relatives. For example, birth and marriage records include names of parents and divorce records list the names of children.
Jacksonville Daily Journal, July 1, 1915
OLD JACKSONVILLE ____ The Glovers By Ensley Moore. (July 1, 1915)
New York might have been a much more popular state if so many of its people had not gone over into Michigan to make their homes.
Jacksonville has, in turn, been benefited by some of those who have come here - directly from Michigan, whether natives of that state or not.
Livingston Maturin Glover was born in Phelps, Ontario county, N.Y., February 21, 1819, being the son of Philander and Ruhamah (Hall) Glover, natives of Conway, Mass. A sketch written in 1879 says of the Glover family: "Families having the name are common in all parts of Britain, among them persons of considerable distinction in their time. Two brothers, John and Henry Glover, emigrated to America, the first about 1630, settling at Dorchester, the second about 1640, settling at Dedham, Mass. From the last the subject of this sketch (Rev. L. M. Glover) was descended. "The name is Saxon, originally spelled Gelofre."
Robert Glover was burned at the stake in 1555 in the days of "Bloody Mary". Richard Glover was born in London in 1712, was a merchant, poet and member of Parliament, dying in 1785, in London, England.
Philander Glover's family settled in 1800 in the "Genessee country," New York, then a wilderness. In 1833 they removed to the territory of Michigan, settling at Lodi Plains, Washtenaw county. There the coming divine "was ushered into the mysteries of farming." He had preparatory studies at Ann Arbor, Michigan, and was graduated from the Western Reserve College, at Hudson, Ohio, in 1840. He then pursued theological study, at Lane Seminary, Cincinnati, Ohio, from which he was graduated.
Mr. Glover was licensed to preach and began his ministry Oct. 1842 at Lodi, where his religious life had begun. His first idea had been to be a lawyer and he had a fine legal mind; but, the higher calling was heard by him, and his life given to it. Mr. Glover labored at Lodi from 1842 until 1848, about October 27th when he began his pastorate of the First Presbyterian church of Jacksonville, which was destined to be his last work, continuing until his death. July 15, 1880.
The First church belonged to the "New School" branch of Presbyterianism. About a year after coming here, Mr. Glover bought from Moore C. Goltra, Oct. 25, 1849, the house now first west of Grace M. E. church - this being in 1915 the home of Mrs. Susan E. F. (Sewall) Barnes, lately deceased. There the Glovers lived until 1854.
Mr. Glover's work here was not confined to his professional duties alone, but he was for eighteen years a trustee of Illinois College and secretary of the Board. He was also a trustee of Jacksonville Female Academy for years, President of the Board a part of the time, and raised large sums of money in aid of its objects. He was an honorary member of several scientific associations, and received the degree of Doctor of Divinity from Center College, Kentucky, in 1864. He was also the founder of the Literary Union, a club of this city, which still continues its labors of a half century.
Dr. Glover went abroad twice. His first trip was in 1858, when he went as far as Syria and Egypt. In 1873 he went as a delegate from the Presbyterian General Assembly of the U.S.A. to that of the Free church of Scotland. After his first journey he delivered a course of eight lectures in his church, in the winter of 1858-9, and they were highly interesting. He had a quiet vein of humor, and the lectures were further enlivened by that quality.
Dr. Glover was very faithful to his duty of preaching, and only ill health in the last few years compelled him to take an annual vacation. He was a good sermonizer, and looked the minister in his manner and dress, while not wearing any ministerial garb except the white cravat then usual. He had much dignity in the pulpit, and he was a genial man to meet, although rather unobtrusive in manner. He was a lover of little children, and an adherent to his friends. Politically he was an anti-slavery man.
One of the greatest trials of Mr. Glover's pastorate was when the First church building, which then stood on the southeast corner of West State and West streets, was burned, Dec. 27, 1861. For about five years thereafter he preached in Strawn's Hall. meantime he had secured the erection of a large and far handsomer edifice upon the same site. The corner stone was laid Aug. 4, 1864, and the building dedicated Jan. 6, 1867. This was one of the largest and best churches in the state, and had a town clock with a particularly good bell. It was a creditable monument to Dr. Glover's proper ambition for his parish, and of his capacity as a constructive manager. Unfortunately, as is well known, it burned Sept. 6, 1883. This was the last building occupied by the First church society. It was merged in 1885 with the Central church, the united congregations being known since as the State Street Presbyterian church, northeast corner of State and Church street.
Livingston M. Glover was a man above the average in literary ability. He was a good writer, good speaker, and wrote poetry worth considering. He had a remarkable faculty, shared at least by his son, L. B., of attaching friends and holding their allegiance, as was abundantly shown in his career as a pastor here. Few men in Jacksonville have had the opportunity to meet, know and address and counsel so many people as Dr. Glover did during the almost thirty two years of his pastorate. The longest such official term ever held in this city.
Dr. Glover was of medium height, with light eyes and hair. At first he wore side whiskers, but latterly a full beard. _________
Mr. Glover was married Aug. 16, 1843, to Miss Marcia A. Nutting, daughter of Prof. Rufus Nutting, formerly of Western Reserve College, and Marcia (Manning) Nutting. Prof. Nutting is supposed to have been born in Randolph, Vermont. Mrs. Glover, born in Randolph, Vt., was a sister of the Rev. Rufus Nutting, Jr., D.D., long professor in Illinois College, and of Prof. T. Dwight Nutting; both of whom lived in Jacksonville for years.
She was a woman of great kindness of heart and efficient in church and Sabbath school work. The children who were in her "Infant class" in the old church will not soon forget her motherly, management of them.
Mrs. Glover was especially kind to girls employed as domestics, and was a counselor and guide to them. Those were not the days of numerous fads when she thus helped many a young woman needing her Christian and womanly advice, but her work was done out of the loving spirit of one able to see beyond church and denominational barriers.
Mrs. Glover was born Sept. 21, 1821, and she entered into her rest November 4, 1892. for some years she had not been a resident of Jacksonville. But when their earthly careers were run Dr. and Mrs.. Glover slept side by side in Diamond Grove cemetery.
And many sorrowing people followed them to their last earthly resting place. "Beyond the smiling and the weeping."
REV. L. M. GLOVER, D.D., Pastor of the First Presbyterian Church of Jacksonville, was born in Phelps, Ontario county, New York, February 21, 1819. He is a son of Philander and Ruhannah (Hall) Glover. He removed to the territory of Michigan, in 1833, with his parents, and pursued his academical education at Western Reserve College, at Hudson, Ohio, where he graduated in 1840. He studied theology at Lane Theological Seminary, Cincinnati. In October, 1842, he was settled as pastor of the Presbyterian Church at Lodi, Mich., and in October, 1848, he took charge of the First Presbyterian Church at Jacksonville. When he became its pastor it was a comparatively weak church, but it has now grown to be the largest of that denomination in the city. The ancestors of the Glover family were English. John and Henry glover settled at Dorchester, Mass., soon after the settlement of Plymouth, and from them sprang the Glover family in America. Mr. Glover was married August 16, 1843, to Miss Marcia Ann Nutting, the eldest daughter of Prof. Nutting and wife. She was born at Randolph, Vt., Sept. 28, 1821. They have had five children born in Lodi, mich., and Jacksonville, Ill. Their eldest daughter, Mary A., is the wife of Henry R. Mitchel. The other children are single. Mr. Glover has exerted a great influence for good over the moral and religious condition of his people. In 1858 he made a trip abroad, visiting the Holy Land, Egypt, and various countries of western Europe.
http://www.rootsweb.com/~ilmorgan/1894/gloverl.htm Morgan County ILGenWeb © 2000 In keeping with our policy of providing free information on the Internet, data and images may be used by non-commercial entities, as long as this message remains on all copied material. These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format for profit or for other presentation without express permission by the contributor(s). ______________________________________________________________ History of Washtenaw County, Michigan : together with sketches of its cities, villages and townships...and biographies of representative citizens : history of Michigan. Chicago : Chas. C. Chapman & Co., 1881.
page 1279, Lodi Township Churches and Schools The Presbyterian congregation organized in 1834, and erected a church in1836, during the ministry of Rev. Geo. Kanouse. ............ The pastors of the Church from the period of organization were: Revs. J.B. Kanouse, A.B. Corning, H.B. McMath,
page 1285, Lodi Township Milan Glover (deceased) was born at Phelps, N.Y., Aug 11, 1811. He was reared on a farm and educated at Geneva College, Geneva, N.Y. In 1830 he came with his parents to this county, and Nov. 12, 1835, married Lydia M. Lansing, and two children were born to them, both deceased. Mrs. Glover died Dec. 30, 1857, and Dec. 23, 1859, Mr. G. married Celinda K., a daughter of Erastus and Elizabeth Kellogg. To this union 4 children were born - Edward, Frank E., Archie A.M. and Elizabeth E. In 1837 he moved to Shiawassee Co., Mich., where he resided for a time, but finally came back to Washtenaw. On March 8, 1871, he passed to that far beyond, where he awaits the great Judgement Day. At the time of his death, and for many years previous, he was a member of the Presbyterian Church. His brother, the late Dr. Livingston Glover, of Jacksonville, Ill., was a clergyman of eminence in Illinois, and pastor of the 1st Presbyterian Church of that city for very many years. Mrs. Glover's grandfather was a soldier in the Revolutionary war.
URL:http://name.umdl.umich.edu/bac4701 ________________________________________________________________ http://www.rootsweb.com/~ilmorgan/1906/strawnje.htm Since the death of L. M. Glover, D.D., in 1882, ........ ________________________________________________________________ OLD SETTLERS ASSOCIATION NECROLOGICAL LISTS Includes Morgan, Cass and Scott Counties Contributed by Florence Hutchison GLOVER Charles Mrs 21 Oct 1896 GLOVER Harriet Lane Mrs 3 Jan 1899 age 51 yrs in IL34 b. NY GLOVER LM Dr Mrs 5 Nov 1892 71 44 VT GLOVER LM Rev GLOVER Ruhamale 21 Jan 1886 93 37 MA __________________________________________________________________