Facts and Events
||Maj. Lawrence Washington
||Westmoreland, Virginia, United StatesBridge's Creek
||19 JUL 1743
||Virginiato Anne 'Nancy' Fairfax
|Cause of Death?
||Mount Vernon, Fairfax (county), Virginia, United StatesTB
||Mount Vernon Manor, Fairfax (county), Virginia, United StatesNamed it and was first to live there
||26 Jul 1752
||Mount Vernon, Fairfax (county), Virginia, United States
- the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia
Lawrence Washington (1718–1752) was a soldier and prominent landowner in colonial Virginia. As a founding member of the Ohio Company of Virginia, and a member of the colonial legislature representing Fairfax County, he was chiefly responsible for securing the establishment of the town of Alexandria, Virginia on the banks of the Potomac River in 1749. Washington was also the older and beloved half-brother of future United States President George Washington, and the first to live in the Mount Vernon estate, which he named after his commanding officer in the War of Jenkins' Ear, Admiral Edward Vernon.
Acquisition of Land in Virginia
Acquisition of Land from Virginia Northern Neck Land Grants 1742-1775, Vol. 2:
- F-203: Maj. Lawrence Washington Esq. of Fairfax County, 120 acres in King George County. Surv. Mr. George Byrn. On Deep Run, between Mr. George Carter & Capt. Augustine Washington dec'd, adjoining Col. Carter. 4 Feb. 1744. [Virginia Northern Neck Land Grants, 1742-1775, Vol. 2, pg. 11].
Early Land Survey in Frederick County, VA
- August 21 to 23, 1750 - Plat drawn - Then Survey'd for Majr. Lawrence Washington the Waste Land between the Lines of Mr. Worthington Davis & T Keys bounded as followeth beg at 4 Sycamores standing on the edge of Worthington's Run being his C: & run thence S° 72° West Twenty eight Poles to a red Oak thence N° 78° East Two hundd & Ninety four poles to several small Saplins Wory beginning Corner thence S° 20° West Two hundd & Sixty poles to a red Oak, thence N° 70° West One hundd & twenty poles to a white Oak, thence N° 20° West Two hundd & Seventy Six poles to a white Oak, Then West Forty five Poles to a white Oak hickory & Walnut S° 10° West Five hundd & forty poles to a black Oak thence S° 80° East Sixty poles to a white Oak thence N° 10° East 45 poles to a C: of Pitts's Patent Land Eighty Eight poles to a Large hickory in a hallow Corner to ye Land Surveyd for Davis & Stephenson thence with their Lines S° 80° El One hundd poles to a Large white Oak & small hickory thence S 37^ E< One hundd & Eighty four poles to 2 white Oaks one of them Dead by a path side thence N° 36° East Thirty Six poles to a stooping white Oak by the S path Corner to a Sepee Survey made for William Davis thence with his Lines N° 29° East One hundd & fifty Six poles to 2 red Oaks Davis's Corner thence to a Corner of his Patent Ld S° 54° East Six poles a Large red Oak ye beg. C. of his Patent (his patent Lines being protracted) went to ye Corner of Samuel Waker's Patent Land now West a white Oak & run thence along his Line & keys S° 17° West Three hundd & thirty four poles to 2 red Oaks where Keys Corner shd stand the Courses being protracted thence S° 72° East Two hundd & four poles to a hickory on the West side a Meadow where Davis's Patent sd Corner then following the Courses of his patent S° West One hundd & Eight poles to a red Oak on ye side of a hill (ye patent says a hickory but their is neither Line or Corner to be found) thence N° 70° West One hundd & forty poles to a black Oak & white Oak Near a glade & on ye N side th: N° 45° West 148 poles: to a Large Oak in a small hallow thence NE 22 po to a hic: Sap th. NW 76 poles to 3 tri. hic near a path th. N° 82° East 82 poles to Davis's patent Cr.
- WM CRAWFORD \ CC
- LEWIS THOS
- DANIEL MC KLEDUFF.
- [Source: "Journal of my Journey over the Mountains", by George Washington, while surveying for Lord Thomas Fairfax, Baron of Cameron in the Northern Neck of Virginia, pg. 117].
- August 23d 1750 - Then survey d for Majr. Lawr Washington of Fairfax County a certain tract of waste and ungranted Land in Frederick joining Worthington s Land and Beg: at the 2d corner the sd Worthington's tract a red Oak and extended with his Line N° 70° West one hundred and twenty poles to white Oak thence leaving his Lines and extended S° 60° West one hundred and seventy four poles to two white Oaks, one double standng on ye side of the Old wag 11 Road thence N° 80° West fifty Six poles to a white Oak and hicory in Worthingtons Line thence with his Lines S° 10° West. two hundred poles to a black Oak thence S° 80° East. Sixty poles to a white Oak thence N° 10° East 25 po to acr of Pitts's patent Land Eighty eight poles to a large hickory to a survey known by that of Pitts's now Stephenson's Jrthen with these Lines S° 80° East one hund'd poles to a large white Oak and small hic ry thence S° 8° East one hundred & Eighty four poles to two white Oaks one of them dead & stand s by a path thence N° 86° East thirty six poles to a Sloaping white Oak on the edge of the sd path cr to a survey made for Wm Davis thence with his Lines N° 29° East one hundrd and fifty six poles to two read Oaks S° 54° El six poles to a corner of his patd Land th: with a Line therof N° 82° East 82 poles to 3 live hic'ry thence N° 10° West one hundrd and Eighty four poles and S° 85° West One hundrd and fifteen poles to the leg: con R Six hundrd and thirteen acres.
- WM CRAWFORD
- LEWIS THOS
- per G. WASHINGTON
- [Source: "Journal of my Journey over the Mountains", by George Washington, while surveying for Lord Thomas Fairfax, Baron of Cameron in the Northern Neck of Virginia, pg. 119].
Stockholder's in the Ohio Land Company
- Thomas Lee, President of Company
- Nathaniel Chapman, Treasurer
- John Mercer, Secretary and General Counsel
- George Mercer, Company Agent to England
- Robert Dinwiddie, Duke of Bedford
- John Hanbury, London Merchant
- Augustine Washington Jr.
- William Trent
- Lawrence Washington
- George Fairfax
- Thomas Cresap
- The Ohio Land Company sent Col. George Washington and William Trent into the area to hold onto the lands that the Company had been granted. In 1754, William Trent constructs a fort. But in April, the French take the fort, naming it Fort Duquesne.
- I1 Portrait Source: www.wlu.edu