[Series 1, Vol 14, No 3, p 178]
Note 3. In 1721 Rev. Lawrence de Butts received the customary bounty of 20 lbs. to sail to VA and soon after reported to Gov. Spotswood who assigned him to Washington Parish, Westmoreland Co. He also served in St. Stephen's Parish in Northumberland, Farnham in Richmond and Cople Parish in Westmoreland. In 1735 Mr. de Butts removed to MD, and describing himself as "of the parish of William and Mary in St. Mary's County, in the Province of Maryland," he in 1752 made a deed for 450 ac. in Prince William Co., VA to Wharton Randsdell (Pr. Wm. Co. Records). In the same year, Robert de Butts of Frederick Co., in MD, gave a power of attorney to Henry Lee, stating that his brother Rev. Lawrence de Butts, late of SMC, MD, had died intestate. (Northumberland Co. Records).