Josiah Davidson, of Linville's Creek, Augusta County, VA
- H. Josiah Davidson, of Linville's Creek, Augusta County, VA1745 - 1825
- W. Edith Herring1752 - 1801
m. 23 Oct 1771
- H. Josiah Davidson, of Linville's Creek, Augusta County, VA1745 - 1825
- W. Nancy Ann Williams1772 -
m. 23 Oct 1801
Facts and Events
Josiah Davidson was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Advisory on Josiah Davidson
Some sources claim that this John Davidson married Amy Shinn on 25 Feb. 1788 in Harrison, Virginia, but this appears to be a different Josiah Davisson, son of Amaziah Davidson.
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Acquisition of Land in Virginia:
- Page 161.--15th November, 1768. Jacob Bowman, late of Frederick County, but now of South Carolina, yeoman, to Josiah Davidson, £180, 500 acres on Linwell's Creek, sold by William Linwell to George Bowman, father of Jacob and devised to Jacob by George. [Chalkley's, Vol. 3].
- Page B-244 - Josiah Davison, 35 acres, Linvile Creek. Adjoining Thomas Bryant, Laiers, Josiah Boon. June 8, 1774. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 86].
- Page B-244 - Josiah Davison, 510 acres, South Branch of Potomac. Mentioned James Wood. April 19, 1774. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 86].
- Page 106 - Land Survey, Josiah Davison, 114 acres, between the waters of Linvils Creek and the North Mountain. Adjoining his 365 acre survey, Archebald Hopkins. November 6, 1790. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 131].
- Page 106 - Land Survey, Josiah Davison, 33 acres, on the waters of Linvils Creek. Adjoining his own land, Calhoon, Green. Nov. 6, 1790. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 131].
Disposition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 246.--7th November, 1767. Josiah Davidson, eldest son and heir of Daniel Davidson, deceased, to Thomas Moore, blacksmith, £160, 370 acres on Smith's Creek, the same that was conveyed to Daniel 4th June, 1748, by James Wood, to whom it was patented 12th January, 1766 (1756). Delivered: Thos. Moore, 14th June, 1770.
Records of Josiah Davidson in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Vol. 1 - MAY 19, 1761. - (6) Josiah Davidson, orphan of Danl. Davidson, aged 16 years, chose John Harrison his guardian.
- Page 235.--19th May, 1761. John Harrison, Jr.'s bond (with Thos. Moore), as guardian (chosen) to Josiah Davison, orphan of Daniel Davison.
- Page 81.--18th August, 1766. Executors of John Wright (Daniel Smith and Lydia Wright) to John Johnston, £200, 300 acres on Linvel's Creek, part of 550 acre's granted to John by Abraham Hite. 31st December, 1760; corner Green and Harrison's lands. Delivered: Josiah Davidson, November, 1769.
- Page 401.--17th August, 1771. Francis ( ) McBride and Mary ( ) to Thomas Hood, of Frederick County, £248, 200 acres on Linwill's Creek, Between Josiah Boon and Josiah Davison. part of 1500 acres patented to McCay, Hite & Co., and by them conveyed to William Linvil, and by him to Jos. Bryant, and by him to Jacob Chrisman, Sr., by him to Francis McBride. by him to John Bear, by him to Francis again, 17th August, 1768, corner Josiah Boone's part of same tract. Teste: Abraham Miller, Michael Warren, Daniel Smith. John Thomas. Proved by oaths of some and by affirmation of Abraham Miller. Delivered: John Thomas, 7th August, 1772.
- Vol. 1 - MARCH 16, 1773. - (1) New commission--Justices, viz: Silas Hart, John Dickinson, Daniel Smith, John Poage,* Abraham Smith,* George Moffett, Alexr. McClenachan,* Mathew Harrison, George Mathews,* Alexr. Robertson,* John Hays, James Craig,* John Frogg,* William Tees, James Lockhart, John Christian, Archibald Alexander,* Felix Gilbert, Samuel McDowell, Sampson Mathews, William Bowyer,* John McClenachan,* Michael Bowyer,* John Gratton, Thos. Hugart,* Elijah McClenachan,* Josiah Davidson, John Skidmore.--Dated November 6, 1772. (Those with (*) qualified.)
- Vol. 1 - AUGUST 17, 1773. - (148) Josiah Davidson qualified justice, &c.
- Page 361.--12th August, 1773. John Lincoln and Rebecca ( ) to Abraham Lincoln, on Linvel's Creek, part of 1200 acres patented to Duff, Green, Hite, 26th March, 1739, conveyed to Robert McKay, devised to Zachariah, Moses, Robert and James McKay, corner Isaac Lincoln. Teste: Josiah Davidson, Corneliays ( ) Briant, Ann ( ) Briant.
- Vol. 1 - MARCH 15, 1774. - (302) New Commission of Justices, viz: Silas Hart, John Dickison, Danl. Smith, John Poage, Abram Smith, George Moffett,* James Lockhart, John Christian, Archibald Alexander, Felix Gilbert, Samuel McDowel,* Sampn. Mathews, Alexr. McClenachan,* Mathew Harrison, George Mathews. Alexr. Robertson,* John Hays, James Craig, John Frogg,* William Tees, George Croghan, John Connelly,* Thos. Smallman, Wm. Bowyer,* John McClenachan,* Michael Bowyer, John Gratton,* Thos. Huggart, Elijah McClenachan, Josiah Davidson, John Skidmore, John Campbell, Edward Ward, Dawsey Penticost, John Gibson. (Those marked (*) qualified.)
- Vol. 1 - JANUARY 17, 1775. - (30) New Commission from Dunmore, viz: Silas Hart, John Dickinson, James Lockhart, John Christian, Daniel Smith,* John Poage, Abraham Smith,* George Moffett,* Alexr. McClenachan,* Mathew Harrison, Michael Bowyer,* John Gratton, Thomas Hughes, Elijah McClenachan,* Josiah Davidson, John Skidmore, John Campbell, Thos. Smallman, John Gibson, John Stephenson, John Cannon, Silas Hedge, William Gee (McGee?), Archd. Alexander, Felix Gilbert,* Samuel McDowell,* Sampson Mathews,* William Bowyer,* George Mathews,* Alexr. Robertson,* John Hayes,* James Craig, John Frogg, Wm. Teas,* George Croghan, Edward Ward, Dawsey Pentecost, Wm. Crawford. John McCullough, Geo. Vallendegham and David Shepherd. (Those marked (*) qualified.)
- Page 420.--18th February, 1775 (heading says 1765, date at end says 1775). John Davis' will, planter. Executrix, wife Elizabeth, all property. Teste: Josiah Davison, John Bannett, Jeremiah Osburn. Proved, 20th August, 1776, by Bannet and Osborn. Elizabeth qualifies.
- Vol. 1 - MAY 21, 1777. - (191) Josiah Davidson qualified Justice, &c.
- Vol. 1 - FEBRUARY 17, 1778. - (261) Ordered to be certified to the Governor that the following Justices are recommended for appointments as Justices will fall in the new Counties, viz: In Rockingham--Silas Hart, Daniel Smith, Felix Gilbert, Abraham Smith, John Gratton, Josiah Davidson, John Skidmore, George Boswell, Thomas Hewett, John Thomas, William Nall, Robert Davis, James Dyer, Henry Ewing, William McDowell, Anthony Rider, John Fitzwater, and Isaac Hinckle. In Rockbridge--Archibald Alexander, Samuel McDowell, John Hays, Charles Campbell, and Samuel Lyle. In Augusta--John Dickenson, John Christian, John Poage, George Moffet, Sampson Mathews, Alexr. McClenachan, William Bowyer, George Mathews, Michael Bowyer, Alexr. Robertson, Thomas Huggart, Elijah McClenachan, John Lewis, Alexr. St. Clair, John Kinkead, James Tate, William McPheeters, James Steel, John McCreery, Joshua Humphreys, Joseph Bell, Peter Hanger, James Craig--the two last to be left out for refusing to take the oath of allegiance.
- ↑ FamilySearch. Family History Library Catalog (on compact disc). (Salt Lake City, Utah: Corp. of the President of the Church of Jesus Christ of L.D.S., c1990).
Help fund new features!