m. 10 July 1702
- Joseph Skidmore, Sr.ABT 1706 - 1778
Facts and Events
Joseph Skidmore was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Early Land Survey in Augusta County:
- Page 48 - Joseph Skidmore, 19 acres, South Branch. April 28, 1766. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 19].
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 2.--19th August, 1767. Jacob Conrod to Joseph Skidmore, £3, 14 acres on South Branch of Potomac (Patowmack), part of 457 acres whereon Jacob lives adjoining said Skidmore's mill tract.
- Page 381.--On South Branch Potomac, patent to Joseph Skidmore 10th September, 1767. Sent as per order 22d January, 1802.
Disposition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 387.--26th August, 1772. Joseph Skidmore, Sr., and Agness to Samuel Skidmore, their son, £45, patent to said Joseph, 1767, 10th September, on South Branch of Potowmack where said Skidmore formerly lived. Teste: John Skidmore, Jonas Friend, John ( ) Caplinger. Delivered: Felix Gilbert, August Court, 1773.
- Page 391.--17th August, 1772. Same (Joseph Skidmore, Sr., and Agness) to their son Thomas Skidmore. At a place called the Little Walnut Bottom, on North Fork of South Branch of Potomac. Delivered: Jno. Skidmore, August, 1773.
Will of Joseph Skidmore
- Page 24.--10th March, 1775. Joseph Skidmore, Sr.'s, will, farmer--To son, Andrew, executor. Teste: Robert Mimes, Jacob Eberman, Elias Barker. Proved, 17th March, 1778, by Minnes, and on 19th May, 1778, by Jacob Eberman. Andrew qualifies.
- Page 57.--17th March, 1779. Joseph Skidmore's estate settled by Andrew Skidmore--Received from Jno. Hagle, Jno. Alkier, Jno. Yocume.
- Page 94.--19th June, 1778. Joseph Skidmore, Sr.'s, estate appraised by Benj. Willson, Jonas Friend, Wm. White, Wm. Cbaven.
Records of Joseph Skidmore in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Page 388.--21st May, 1760. Daniel Richardson's estate settlement, by Thomas Parsons, administrator--Paid Philip Halbert; Jno. Vanvill (for a negro), sheriff for 2 levies for 1753; Conrad Huffman, Adam West, Benj. Scott, Peter Reed, Joel Hornback, Henry Shippley, Geo. Bush, Jonathan Coburn, the widow, Leonard Reed, Joseph Skidmore, Austin Scoolcraft, Mr. Churchill, fee in Leonard Reed's suit; Dennis Sullivan's bond (insolvent); Mathias Yeoman (Yeokum?).
- Page 398.--34th May, 1765. Andrew Smith's appraisement, by Jos. Skidmore, Carl. Gammen, Michael Mallow--24 apple trees.
- Page 457.--19th August. 1766. Vendue bill recorded of Wm. Woods' estate--James Thomas. David Berry, Samuel Samples, Jeremy Harrison. Settlement of above estate, by Thos. Gregg, administrator. Paid Joseph Skidmore, Moses Semples. Credit by balance of pay received of Capt. Abraham Smith.
- Page 386.--19th August, 1767. Zebulon ( ) Harrison and Margaret ( ) to Thomas Looker, £70, two tracts, A containing 220 acres patented to Richard Fields, 16th August, 1730, corner Wm. Carroll's land; corner said Harrison's land; B, containing 46 acres joining above on Daniel James'branch, patented to Daniel Davison, 25th September, 1746, conveyed by him to Zebulon. Teste: Joseph Skidmore. Delivered: James Lookey, November, 1768.
- Page 113.--25th November, 1772. Abraham Smith to Robert Hill, on head branches of Dry Run, a branch of the North Branch of the South Branch, Potowmack, above a tract of Joseph Skidmore's. Same witnesses as to above.
- Page 377.--3d and 4th August, 1773. George Caplinger's (of South Branch) estate sold at vendue--To Leonard Probst, Jacob Caplinger, Danl. Probst, Henry Caplinger, Catherine Caplinger, Elizabeth Caplinger, John Caplinger, Geo. Caplinger, Adam Caplinger, Michael Alkeir, Ulrick Conrad, Christian Pickle, Stovel Low, Valentine Post, John Skidmore; to Doctor Neal, Chas. Bowers, Peter Caphart, Aron Skyhaw, Zachoriah Rexrode. Geo. Caplinger (2 crout tubs), Joseph Skidmore, Elizabeth Harbold, Jacob Rude, Jobb Velton, George Ganker, Thomas Willmott, Aron Vansye, Martin Coyle, Danl. Richardson, Danl. Hornbeck.
Information on Joseph Skidmore
From "Jonas Friend and Friend's Fort", by Warren Skidmore (excerpts):
- Jonas Friend's father-in-law Joseph Skidmore, who had come to western Maryland by 1742 from Murderkill Hundred in Kent County, Delaware, lived no great distance away. He had formally acquired title to a plantation called Monican from Cornelius O'Neale on 11 June 1748 for £50 preparatory to moving to Virginia, but had probably lived there much earlier. Monican is described as being at the head of the Little Antietam.
- Jonas Friend went with the Skidmores to what is now Pendleton County perhaps at the time of his father-in-law's second trip south through the gap at Harper's Ferry. (6) He and Sarah Skidmore had married before 9 September 1754 when they returned a deed to Winchester selling 66 1/2 acres to Simeon Rice for £100. This was his share of the 300 acres that he and his two brothers had inherited from their father Israel Friend near Shepherdstown in Jefferson County. (7) In this deed Jonas and Sarah Friend are called "late of Frederick County in the colony of Virginia but now of Augusta County." Their eldest child, a son Joseph, was born probably in 1755 or soon after and named for his grandfather Skidmore.
- Jonas Friend, Benjamin Wilson, William White, and William Cleaver appraised the estate of Joseph Skidmore, Senior, on 19 June 1778. (26) His father-in-law had died at what is now South Elkins and was probably the first burial in what became a small family cemetery near the former Odd Fellow's Home.
- [Source: "Jonas Friend and Friend's Fort", by Warren Skidmore]
•Name: Joseph Skidmore
•Given Name: Joseph
•Birth: Abt 1706 in Murderkill Hundred, Kent County, Deleware
•Death: 17 Mar 1778 in Ruddle, West Augusta (Pendelton) County, (West) Virginia
•Change Date: 8 Jul 2004
Father: Joseph Skidmore b: Abt 1674 in Jamaica, Long Island, New York
Mother: Rebecca Miller b: Abt 1672 in Dover, Kent County, Deleware
Marriage 1 Agnes Caldwell b: Abt 1705 in Somerset County, Maryland
•Married: 7 Apr 1730 in Kent County, Delaware
•Change Date: 25 Sep 2005
1. Joseph Skidmore b: Abt 1730 in Murderkill Hundred, Kent County, Deleware
2. Sarah Skidmore b: Abt 1732 in Murderkill Hundred, Kent County, Delaware
3. John A. Skidmore b: 10 Jun 1736 in Plantation Fisher's Delight, Kent County, Deleware
4. Elizabeth Skidmore b: Abt 1739 in Kent County, Delaware
5. Rebecca Skidmore b: Aft 1741
6. Andrew Skidmore b: 8 Nov 1750 in Norfolk (Ruddle) West Augusta (Pendleton) County, (West) Virginia