Facts and Events
Joseph Mills was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Joseph Mills' land (Beverley Manor SW, 660 acres, 1739/40) as shown on the map meticulously drawn by J.R. Hildebrand, cartographer. This map is copyrighted©, used by permission of John Hildebrand, son of J.R. Hildebrand, April, 2009.
Acquisition of Land from Orange County, Virginia Records:
- Pages 429-33. 28-29 Feb. 1739 . William Beverley of Essex County, Gent., to Joseph Mills of Orange County. Lease and release; for £20 current money. 660 acres in Beverley Manor... corner to James Robinsons... corner to John Buckannin... back line of the patent of Beverley Manner... (signed) W. Beverley. Wit: G. Home, John Conner, Robt. Christian. 28 Feb. 1739 . Acknowledged by William Beverley, Gent. [Orange County County Virginia Deed Book 3, Dorman, pg. 29].
Disposition of Land from Orange County, Virginia Records:
- Pages 1-4. 23-24 June 1742. Joseph Mills of St. Mark's Parish, Orange County, to Robt. Willson and John Holmes of same. Lease and release; for £64.10.- current money. 660 acres in Beverley Mannor... corner to James Robinsone... corner to John Buckhannon... back line of the pattent of Beverley Manner... 400 of the land to be laid of[f] next to William Long for Robt. Wilsone and the remainder for John Holmes... (signed) Joseph Mills. Wit: G. Home, Jno. Christian. 24 June 1742. Acknowledged by Joseph Mills and Robt. Wilson. [Orange County Virginia Deed Book 8, Dorman, pg. 67].
Records of Joseph Mills in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley's Augusta County Records:
- Joseph Mills, George Moffitt and George Demson witnessed a deed from Benjamin Borden to Charles Hays for 189 acres in the Borden Tract on 1-2 June 1742. [Orange County Virginia Deed Book 8, Dorman, pg. 69].
- Page 526.--32nd February, 1749. Same to same (From William Beverley to James Patton), 432 acres in Beverley Manor. Corner to the Christies, William Long's line. Joseph Mills' line. William Robinson's line. Teste: James Lockhart. (Note: Joseph Mills tract had already been sold seven years prior to this record).
- Page 530.--25th August, 1752. John Wilson to Joseph Tees, 400 acres on South River, Shanandore; Beverley Manor line, part of 660 acres deeded to John's father by Joseph Mills, 24th June, 1742. Teste: James Patton, Mary Thompson, Michael O'DonneI, Wm. Thompson, Joseph Love, Wm. Preston.
- Page 595.--23d May, 1764. Joseph Love and Mary to Samuel Caldwell, £150. 400 acres on South River Shanando, Beverley Manor line, part of 660 acres deeded to John Willson's father by Joseph Mills, 24th June, 1742. Teste: Pat. Cunningham. Samuel Love, Walter Davis, Robert ( ) Crawford. Delivered to Samuel Culwell.
- Page 334.--15th October, 1765. Robert ( ) Armstrong and Elizabeth ( ) to William Armstrong, £100, 200 acres in Beverley Manor on a branch of Christian's Creek; William Robinson's corner, Joseph Mills' land. Delivered: Wm. Armstrong, October, 1766.
- Page 35.--16th August, 1791. James Wright and Alexander Wright, sons and devisees of William Wright, deceased, and Elizabeth, wife of James, of Augusta, to Jacob Bear, 260 acres in Beverley Manor, part of tract originally surveyed for Joseph Mills, and sold to Robert Wilson and Jno. Holmes by deed which was conveyed to said William Wright, deceased, by John Holmes, February, 1748.
Information on Joseph Mills
Possibly this Joseph Mills?:
Thomas Ballard left a will dated 30 June 1779 and recorded May 9, 1782. "Thomas Ballard of Albemarle Co. .... daughter Mary five pounds sterling, .... sons Thomas Ballard & Bland Ballard all this my land they suffering my daughter- in-law, Mourning Ballard to live on, use and occupy that part of it whereon she now lives during her life .... the land to be equally divided between them so that Bland enjoy that part whereon he now lives .... The use of a negro Delphia unto my daughter Frances Ballard, and after her decease I give and bequeath the negro Delphia unto her heirs Lawfully Beggotten, but if she die without Heirs then and in that case I give the said girl unto the natural Daughter of my Daughter of my Daughter Frances names Rachel now wife of Gabriel Mullins;... Daughter Susanna Pettis during her life all my land in Louisa County, and after her death I give and devise the said land unto her, the said Susanna Pettit's eldest son then living .... The remainder of my estate to be equally divided among my five children, Thomas, Bland, Anna Maupine, Frances Ballard, and Susanna Pettis .... sons Thomas and Bland Executors. Witnesses-- Wm. Michie, Zachariah Mills, Joseph Mills. (Albemarle Co. Will Book 2, Pg 396) (Note: some sources claim that Zachariah Mills was a son of David Mills and Lucy Wyatt, more research necessary).
- 1797 - Bland Ballard and Frances (x), his wife of Albemarle Co., to Joseph Mills, of same county. L200: 200 acres on both sides of Naked Creek, Albemarle Co., Wit: John Kelly, James Robinson, Roger Thomson, 5 June 1797. DB 12 page 234