Facts and Events
Joseph Henderson was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Records of Joseph Henderson in Augusta County, VA
- Vol. 2 - Randolph's administrator vs. Kenny et alias--O. S. 300; N. S. 107-- Bill, 20th July, 1812, by William Randolph of Wilton. On 7th April, 1808. he sold to Chesley Kinney 331 acres in Augusta. Kinney claims deficiency. In 1747 Robert McClenachan sold said tract to David Stuart, who sold 57 acres to James Miller 20th August, 1748, yet on 14th February, 1763, sold the whole tract to John Miller. James Miller on 1st August, 1754, sold the 57 acres to Jones Henderson, who sold to John Parris 18th August, 1778. John Miller conveyed whole 331 acres to orator 18th October, 1784. David died, testate, in Augusta, leaving son John, now of Greenbrier; daughter Sebiny, alias Tibbey, alias Tabitha Stuart; daughter Elizabeth, who married Richard Woods of Albemarle, by whom she had 3 sons, William, George and Richard Woods; stepdaughter, Mary Pall (Paul). Sebiny Stuart married Samuel Williams of Greenbrier, by whom she had a son Richard and a daughter ____, who married Thomas Creigh of Greenbrier. Mary Pall left one child, a daughter, Mary, who married Cornelius Maupin and lives in Albemarle. John Miller died, intestate, leaving children, viz: Patrick, James and Sarah Miller. Sarah married Joseph Henderson of Augusta and had children, viz: John, Robert, Joseph, William, Sally, Jane, who married Alexander Buchanan, and Mary, who married Robert Morrison. Patrick and James Miller live in Bath. John and James Miller were brothers. John Stuart has a son Lewis Stuart. John Young deposes, in Augusta, 15th June, 1818, he knew John and James Miller. James was son of John. Deponent is 81 years old last March. He came to this country when 4 years old and has lived 6 miles from Staunton ever since. He was grown when he knew the Millers. Deponent is son of Hugh Young, who was security for Randal Lockhart, deputy sheriff, who defaulted in failing to return a writ of election and suit was brought. 15th June, 1818, William Robertson deposes, in Augusta, David Stuart's children and widow lived with Gen. George Mathews, who married a stepdaughter of David's; daughter of Mrs. Stuart, deponent. Captain is rising 70 years.
Information on Joseph Henderson
47. Joseph HENDERSON (James33,William26) was born about 1745 in Augusta County Virginia and died Jan 1792 in Augusta County, Virginia. He married 25 Sep 1765 Sarah MILLER.
- i. Jane HENDERSON (Joseph47,James33,William26) who was born 03 Aug 1766 in Augusta County, Virginia. She married Mr. BUCHANAN.
- 81† ii. Capt. John HENDERSON (Joseph47,James33,William26)
- 82 iii. Robert HENDERSON (Joseph47,James33,William26)
- 83 iv. Joseph HENDERSON (Joseph47,James33,William26)
- v. Mary HENDERSON (Joseph47,James33,William26) was born 17 Sep 1778 in Augusta County, Virginia. She married Mr. MORRISON.
- vi. William HENDERSON (Joseph47,James33,William26) was born 19 Oct 1781 in Augusta County, Virginia. He married Miss. KENNEDY.
- vii. Sarah HENDERSON (Joseph47,James33,William26) was born 17 Dec 1784 in Augusta County, Virginia. She married Mr. ELDRIDGE.
[X -- Great, Great, Great Grandfather] Joseph Henderson, son of James Henderson and Martha Hamilton, married Sarah Miller, daughter of John Miller on September 25, 1765. They lived on the farm two miles from Staunton which is still in the family. In 1782 Joseph Henderson was assessed with 520 acres of land. He is last mentioned on the tax lists in 1791 as owning 590 acres. He served in the 3rd. Virginia Regiment in the Revolutionary War. His will was dated April 26, 1791 and probated in January 1792.
Children of Joseph Henderson and Sarah Miller.
- Jane, born August 3, 1766. Married Alexander Buchanan.
- John, born September 24, 1769. Married Sally Lesly.
- Robert (our ancestor) born April 3, 1772. Married Hannah McClung.
- Joseph, born September 17, 1776. Married Hannah McCutchen.
- Mary, born September 17, 1778. Married Robert Morrison.
- William, born October 19, 1781.
- Sarah, born December 17, 1784. Married ----- Eldridge.