Facts and Events
||Port Royal, , , Acadia
||, , , Acadiato Claire Bourg, 2
||Village Dugas, Cobeguit, , AcadiaLand
||St. Martinville, St. Martin, LA
!BIRTH-PARENTS-CENSUS-MARRIAGE-CHILDREN: Stephen A. White, DICTIONNAIRE GENEALOGIQUE DES FAMILLES ACADIENNES; 1636-1714; Moncton, New Brunswick, Centre d'Etudes Acadiennes, 1999, 2 vols.; pp. 564 & 570; own copy. #5: Joseph DUGAS, born around 1680, son of Claude & Francoise BOURGEOIS. He married (Belle-Ile-en-Mer Declaration) around 1699 to Claire BOURG, daughter of Bernard & Francoise BRUN; twelve children.
!CENSUS: 1686, Port Royal, Acadia, age 6 years.
!CENSUS: 1693, age 13 years.
!CENSUS: 1698, age 18 years.
!BIRTH-PARENTS-MARRIAGE-CHILDREN: Bona Arsenault, HISTOIRE ET GENEALOGIE DES ACADIENS; 1625-1810; Ottawa, Editions Lemeac, 1978, 6 vols.; p. 1484 (Cobequid); own copy. Joseph, born 1680, son of Claude & Francoise BOURGEOIS of Port Royal, married around 1700 to Claire BOURG , daughter of Bernard & Francoise BRUN. Eight children are listed born from around 1701 to 1719.
BEWARE: Joseph's younger brother Francois married another Claire BOURG  from this same family on 24 Oct 1713 in Port Royal. Their children were born from 1714 to 1734.
!BIRTH-MARRIAGE: Janet Jehn, CORRECTIONS & ADDITIONS TO ARSENAULT'S HISTOIRE ET GENEALOGIE DES ACADIENS; 1550-1850; Covington, KY, author, 1988; p. 4 (reference to p. 450 & 451); own copy. Claire BOURG, daughter of Bernard & Francoise BRUN married Joseph DUGAS, not Francois. Another sister, Claire born 1690, married Francois, brother of Joseph, both sons of Claude DUGAS & Marie Francois BOURGEOIS.
BURIAL: Henry Jean Molaison, "Extract from the Old Register of St. Martinville Louisiana; 1756-1794; in NEW ORLEANS GENESIS, vol. 31, no. 121 (Jan 1992); p. 309; Santa Cruz Genealogical Society Library, journals. Joseph DUGAS interred 6 Oct 1765, entered on 8th. [Same man? His half-brother?]
Another Joseph DUGA, habitant, was interred on 27 Jul 1765. He died at Atakapas. [Which is which? Neither is this man?]
- ↑ Stephen A. White. Dictionnaire Généalogique des Familles Acadiennes. (2 vols., Moncton, New Brunswick: Centre d'Études Acadiennes, 1999), p. 564.
- ↑ Donald J. Hébert. Southwest Louisiana Records, vol. 1-A, 1750-1800. (Rayne, LA, Hebert Publications, 1996), p. 274.
Four entries: Joseph DUGAS died 26 Jul 1765, buried 27 Jul 1765. Recorded by Fr. Jean FRANCOIS at St. Martin of Tours Catholic Church, St. Martinville, LA (SM Ch.: v.1, p.8) & (SM Ch.: Slave Funeral Register, v.1, #8). [One of the first burials recorded in this parish.]
Also: Joseph DUGAS buried 6/11 Oct 1765, recorded -- Oct 1765 by Fr. Jean FRANCOIS "cure de la nouvelle Acadie." (SM Ch.: v.1, p.13) & (SM Ch.: Slave Funderal Register, v.1, #22).
Which Joseph buried in 1765 was this one?
- ↑ Donald J. Hébert. Southwest Louisiana Records, 1750-1900: compact disk number 101. (Rayne, LA: Hébert Publications, 2001).
DUGAS, Joseph d. 26 July 1765, bur. 27 July 1765. Fr. Jean FRANCOIS (SM Ch.: v.1, p.8)
DUGAS, Joseph d. 26 July 1765, bur. 27 July 1765. Fr. Jean FRANCOIS, "cure de la nouvelle Acadie" [pastor of the new Acadia] (SM Ch.: Slave Funeral Register v.1, #8)
DUGAS, Joseph bur. 11 Oct. 1765, Recorded -- Oct. 1765. Fr. Jean FRANCOIS, "cure de la nouvelle Acadie" [pastor of the new Acadia] (SM Ch.: Slave Funeral Register v.1, #22) [this man?]
DUGAS, Joseph bur. 6 Oct. 1765, recorded -- Oct. 1765. Fr. Jean FRANCOIS (SM Ch.: v.1, p.13) [this man?]
- ↑ "Acadian Heritage in Colchester County or/ou Patrimoin acadien dans le comté de Colchester" (Folded Map). (Colchester Historical Society Museum, 2003).
- 10: Village Dugas, located at present-day Onslow, at the North River Bridge. The brothers Claude & Joseph DUGAS are believed to have founded this village with their young families about 1702. Their names appear on the 1703 Cobequid census, but not in 1701. Acadian homesteads would have been located on the low hills, overlooking their dyked farmland.
Cattle drives passed through here in Acadian times, and up to as late as the 1940s. Joseph DUGAS is known to have led cattle drives to Tatamagouche (north). The old Tatamagouche Road, beginning in Village Dugas, appears in both a report and on a map prepared in 1755. The gentle bend of the original course of the Dugato (North) River can still be seen today, although this river was straightened 60 years ago (around 1943).
Help fund new features!