m. ABT 1730
m. ABT 1769
m. 15 NOV 1781
Facts and Events
Joseph Daugherty was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Information on Joseph Daugherty
1. Broderbund World Family Tree, Volume 052, Tree Numbers: 0475/0476. 2. Broderbund World Family Tree, Volume 059, Tree Number: 0455. 3. Broderbund World Family Tree, Volume 053, Tree Number: 0683.
4. Joseph Daugherty, Sr. born c1750 in Augusta County, Virginia was the second of the six children born to William Daugherty-I, Rev War and his wife Elizabeth (?nee) Daugherty from Augusta County, Virginia. Joseph was known to have been married at least three times: 1st. he married a Miss Rachel Jordan C1772 and together they had at least six children: Nicholas, John, James, Josiah, Rachel, and Nathaniel Daugherty. 2nd marriage was to a Miss Elizabeth Drake on 15 November, 1781 and together they had nine more children: Margaret, Elizabeth, Mary Ann, Nancy, Eleanor, Joseph, Jr., Martha, Robert, and Authur Daugherty. Joseph's third marriage was to a Miss Mary "Molly" Robinson C1790 and together they had four more children: Samuel, Sarah, Robinson D., and Mary "Polly" Daugherty.
Joseph along with two of his brothers was one of the original signers of the "Cumberland Compact" (a petition to the federal government to form a government for all the settlers who lived along the frontier on the Cumberland River). The Cumberland Compact was signed on 1 May, 1780 by approximately 250 individuals who lived on the frontier of the new nation United States of America. The Compact contained within it the formation of laws, election of government officials, and everything needed to establish and maintain order on Cumberland River Valley which encompassed a hugh amount of land; including parts of Virginia, Kentucky, Tennessee, and North Carolina. Joseph is believed to have died in January, 1825 in Russell County Virginia and is buried there along side his third wife Mary "Polly" nee Robinson Daugherty.
5. Joseph Daugherty was in Fincastle County, Virginia prior to 1773 where he obtained land by survey. Plott Book A, Page 215 Montgomery County, Virginia. Surveyed for Joseph Doherty 176 acres of land in Fincastle County, Virginia. Agreeable to an order of Council of the 16th December, 1773 and being part of the Loyal Company's Grant lying on both sides of Wolf Creek a Branch of New River and bounded as follows: Beginning at a Cluster of Maples on the East side of Wolf Creek running-----crossing Wolf Creek---- to the beginning. Danl Smith Asst. Wm Preston SGC
6. REVOLUTIONARY WAR RECORDS Fincastle and Montgomery Counties VA-1775-1788 Joseph Daugherty of Captain John Draper's Company swore allegiance to the State October 4, 1777 in Captain Cox's Company before James McCorkle - signed December 5, 1777 - Montgomery County (page 135).
7. After the death of his second wife, Joseph Daugherty left his home on Wolf Creek and came to Southwestern Virginia and Settled in then Russell County; the portion that later became Lee County. In 1792, the court ordered that Joseph be overseer of the road from the ford of Powell River near Cocke's old mill to the top of Powell Mountain and that Charles Cocke give him a list of titables.
Sources: Bicentennial History of Lee County, Virginia 1792-1992
Notes by Renetta Stribling Kansas City, Missouri Bob Kinsman Half Moon Bay, California Children of Joseph Daugherty and Elizabeth Drake Sayers are: 35 i. Margaret Daugherty was born ABT 1782 in VA. She married Burton Mullikin BEF 14 MAY 1807 in KY. He was born ABT 1775?.
36 ii. Ann Daugherty was born ABT 1783? in VA. She married Shepherd Gum BEF 1801, son of Shepherd Gum Sr. and Elizabeth Ashcraft. He was born ABT 1789 in Nelson Co., KY. 37 iii. Eleanor Daugherty was born ABT 1785? in KY. She married William Daugherty 31 AUG 1805 in Jessamine Co., KY. He was born ABT 1782? in KY. 38 iv. Martha Daugherty was born ABT 1787? in KY. She married Jacob Sadowsky BEF 14 MAY 1807 in Jessamine Co., KY. He was born ABT 1782 39 v. Robert Daugherty was born ABT 1790? in KY. He married Sallie Butler 10 SEP 1805 in Jessamine Co., KY. She was born ABT 1795?. 40 vi. Joseph Daugherty Jr. was born ABT 1792? in KY. He married Martha White 27 DEC 1817 in Shelby Co., KY. She was born ABT 1795 41 vii. John Daugherty was born ABT 1795? in KY. 42 viii. Arthur Daugherty was born ABT 1797? in KY.