Joseph Carpenter, Sr., of Jackson River and Potts Creek
- H. Joseph Carpenter, Sr., of Jackson River and Potts CreekABT 1693 - ABT 1780
- W. Judith UnknownEst 1722-1727 -
m. Bef. 27 Mar 1754
Facts and Events
Joseph Carpenter was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
Joseph Carpenter received a patent for 782 acres on Jackson's River on 1 June, 1750 as listed in the following record:
- NOVEMBER 28, 1770. Page 162. - William Hugart vs. Joseph Carpenter} Decree for plaintiff for sale of 160 acres on Jackson's River, part of 782 acres patented to Joseph (Carpenter) - June 1, 1750. Memo.--The land was sold by Edward McMullen, Jan'y., 1771, at public auction, and bought by plaintiff for £90.
Disposition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 487.--17th August, 1762. Joseph Carpenter to John Mann, £70, 230 acres on Jackson's River.
- Page 871.--20th May, 1765. Joseph Carpenter, Sr., to Joseph Carpenter, Jr., £10, 232 acres.
- Page 873.--20th May, 1765. Same (From Joseph Carpenter, Sr.) to Solomon Carpenter, planter, £10, 160 acres, John Man's line. Delivered: Wm. Huggart, 4th November, 1772.
Records of Joseph Carpenter in Augusta County, VA
- Vol. 1 - NOVEMBER, 28, 1751. - (208) Adam Dickinson, David Davis, Peter Wright and Joseph Carpenter, lay off a road from Wright's Mill to the Cow-pasture near Hugart's or Knox's.
- Page 405.--29th November, 1751. Joseph Carpenter's bond as guardian (appointed) to James, Benjamin and John Scot, orphans of John Scot, with surety John Lewis.
- Vol. 1 - MARCH 27, 1754. - (181) Benj. Scot, security for Judith Scot, Admx. of John Scot, decd., who has since married Joseph Carpenter, prays counter security. (Note: this record proves that Joseph Carpenter's 2nd wife was Judith, widow of John Scott).
- Page 249.--12th December, 1756. Nicholas Nutt's appraisement, by Edward Mullin, Edward Thompson, Joseph Carpenter.
- Page 403.--20th August, 1760. Widow Swoob's appraisement, by Jos. Carpenter, Peter Wright, Jno. Mann.
- Page 369.--21st November, 1764. Settlement of John Scott's estate, by Jno. Davis and Judith, his wife. administrators, recorded--Paid Joseph Carpenter, guardian to Joseph, James and Jacob Scott. Cash paid Ellis Hogles, Michael Hider, Aaron Ryley, Jonathan Arnold, Thomas Parsons.
Information on Joseph Carpenter
From "Annals of Bath County, Virginia", by Oren F. Morton:, pg. 191:
- Joseph Carpenter came from New York in 1746, and took a large river-bottom survey a little below Covington. Tradition states that a first visit was in the spring and that he started a crop of corn. On his return in the fall, he found that a young buffalo had broken through the fence and was trying to relieve the owner of the trouble of harvesting. The poacher was promptly converted into steak. Carpenter came with a large family nearly grown, and he wished them to settle around him. He seems to have been living in 1776. Close by was another Carpenter family, that of a brother, the name of the pioneer appearing to be Solomon. John and Joseph were sons of Joseph, Sr., and Thomas and Jeremiah of Solomon. Two daughters of Joseph Sr., married Jeremiah Seely and John Mann. Of a later generation was Samuel, who died in 1842, leaving six chldren.
From "A Centennial History of Alleghany County, Virginia", By Oren F. Morton, B., Lit. Dayton, Virginia, J. K. Reubush Company 1923:
- The long survey (on Jacksons River where Potts Creek joins it, above the Cowpasture River) of 782 acres taken by Joseph Carpenter began very near the railroad bridge at the south border of Covington, and extended down the river so as to include the ben beginning near the mouth of Potts Creek. The Carpenter holdings also took in the fine bottom on the south side of the railroad at Mallow Station. In 1764 the pioneer divided 464 acres equally between his sons, Joseph, Jr., and Solomon, each paying a consideration of ten pounds. But in 1773 Solomon sold 160 acres to his brother-in-law, John Mann, for 130 pounds. A year earlier this piece had been purchased at public sale by William Hughart for ninety pounds ($300). John Mann had already bought 230 in 1762 for seventy pounds. Jeremiah Seeley, another son-in-law, took a survey of 100 acres at the mouth of Dry Run in 1754. But Seeley left the neighborhood during the Indian war and the land was patented by Peter Wright.
Help fund new features!