Facts and Events
||10 AUG 1805
||Winterborne Stickland, Dorset, England
||07 JUN 1824
||Winterborne-Clenstone, Dorset, Englandto Sarah Arnold
||EnglandWhile in England Joseph worked as a Cooper.
||15 AUG 1843
||Hampton, Durham, Ontario, Canadain Darlington Township
to Ann Winn
||Ontario, CanadaIn Canada Joseph became a farmer.
||Huron, Ontario, CanadaNorth Huron
with Ann Winn
||07 MAR 1879
||Goderich, Huron, Ontario, Canada
||Goderich, Huron, Ontario, Canada
JOSEPH BUTT was born on 10 Aug 1805 at Winterborne Stickland, Dorset, England. He grew up in a family of seven, five boys and two girls. He was Methodist.
He married SARAH ARNOLD on 7 Jun 1824 at Winterborne Clenstone, Dorset, England, at the age of 18S9. He immigrated in 1841 to Ontario, Canada. "(Sarah Arnold) who was the daughter of a gentleman, got so tired of being snubbed by her rich sister, made (Joseph) leave England and go to Canada. The twins were born Sept 24, 1824 (James & Elam) and (the family) came to Canada in 1841. (Joseph) was only 36 then and his wife died and a baby also a week after they arrived in Toronto."S6 The death of his wife of seventeen years left Joseph a widower with ten children.
He married ANN WINN on 15 Aug 1843 at Darlington Township, Hampton, Durham County, Ontario, Canada. Ann "had no people around her and she was only 18. Her mother was hired to keep house for two old toughs who worked in the bush for the Elliott's. The mother died and (Joseph) took pity on the girl and married her. (Elam) and ... James never could acknowledge her and they never cared for her or any of the second family. All the others mixed up together."S6
While in England Joseph worked as a Cooper. In Canada Joseph became a farmer.S7 He and ANN WINN appeared on the census of 1871 at North Huron, Huron County, Ontario, Canada. The Hannah Butt Taylor Letter is a very interesting source of information on Joseph, his life and his family. Joseph was an extremely prolific man, fathering 10 children by Sarah Arnold, 9 children by Ann Winn, and each wife had at least one child who died in infancy, for a total of at least 21 children.
He died of complications from Asthma on 7 Mar 1879 at Goderich, Huron County, Ontario, Canada, at age 73. He was buried in Balls Cemetery at Goderich, Huron County, Ontario, Canada. Joseph's cemetery stone:
Joseph - Sacred to the memory of Joseph Butt, died 7th, March 1879. Aged 73 years, 9 mo's. A native of Dorsetshire England. Kind father to Us thy affection was given. But unity through Christ prepared thee for heaven. Thy children, if faithful, shall see thee again. ------ hed and made while in the blood of the Lord.S5
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Kimberly Louise Fraser. Butt GED Fraser. (Pedigree Resource File, Submission Number 432444-071999131402), Secondary quality.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Derek Topping. Butt GED Topping. (GED File, Downloaded in 2001), Secondary quality.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 Donna Johnson. Butt GED Johnson. (GED File, Downloaded December 25, 2002), Secondary quality.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Ontario, Canada Deaths, 1869-1932 (database on-line): Joseph Butt Death. (Ancestry.com, Provo, UT, USA: The Generations Network, Inc, 2005), 1879, Primary quality.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Dan Butt. Dan Butt E-mail: Where Joseph is buried. (Dan Butt, firstname.lastname@example.org, April 8, 2003), 1879, Primary quality.
- ↑ Hannah Butt Taylor. Hannah Butt Taylor Letter. (Letter, March 9, 1941), 1941, Primary quality.
- ↑ 1871 Canadian Federal Population Census: Page 71, Province of Ontario, District 26, North Huron, 1871, Primary quality.
- Betty Ferster. Joseph Butt Marriage Data, Recipient: Scott Black. (E-Mail, email@example.com, December 29, 2004), 1843, Primary quality.
- Antony Broad. Antony Broad Research Report. (Research Report, July 29, 2003), 2003, Primary quality.
- Butt Arnold Marriage, 1824, Primary quality.
Marriages solemnized in the Parish of Winterborne Clenstone in the County of Dorset in the year 1824. Joseph Butt of the Parish of Winterborne Stickland and Sarah Arnold of this Parish were married in this Church by Banns this 7th day of 1824.
- ↑ Headstone
- ↑ Death Record.