Facts and Events
John Windlecoit was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
- John Windlecoit received a patent for 316 acres "on Shanandore River" on 10th February, 1748, (as listed in the dispositions below. Other records of neighboring settlers place this tract on the south side of the Shenandoah River near Peaked Mountain).
Disposition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 453.--18th May, 1767. (Sons of John.) George ( ) Windlecoit and Mary ( ) to William Windlecoit, £20, 79 acres patented to John Windlecoit, their father, in a larger tract of 316 acres, 10th February, 1748. Delivered: Martin Coite, per order, 12th May, 1796.
- Page 457.--18th May, 1767. (Sons of John.) Same to John Windlekite, £20, 79 acres, part of 316 acres above, on Shanandore River; corner Philip Windlecoit's part of said tract. Delivered: Martin Coite, per order, 12th May, 1795.
- Page 461.--18th May, 1767. (Sons of John.) Same to Philip Windlecoit, £20, 79 acres, part of 316 above. Delivered: Michael Coger, August Court, 1781.
Estate Records of John Windlekite
- Page 393.--26th November, 1751. Jacob Thomas' bond as administrator of John Windlekite, with sureties Henry Long, Jacob Miller.
- Vol. 1 - NOVEMBER 26, 1751. - (201) Paul and Nicholas Lung, Henry Dickens and David Loudeback, appraisers of John Windlekite; John Gum and Michael Waring, appraisers of Cornelius O'Bryan.
- Vol. 1 - Vol. 1 - AUGUST 20, 1752. - (315) Elizabeth Thomas qualifies Admx. of her deceased husband, John Windlekite.
- Page 460.--15th November, 1752. Jacob Gogure, Jacob Miller, Solomon Bryan appraise John Windlekite's estate at his house, and also at Michael Gommers and John Grumbs the part that is in their hands, and produced by Eve Elizabeth, widow of said Windlekite and Jacob Thomas, deceased.
Records of John Windlecoit in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Vol. 1 - JUNE 19, 1747. - (245) John Windlekite fined for swearing in presence of the Court.
- Vol. 2 - 1749-50, July 20th--Robert McClenahan, 230 (acres), on Shanando, formerly surveyed for Abraham Strickler; 200 part of Mouldin's patent on said river belonging to said Strickler; 316 on said river, formerly John Windlekite's.
- ↑ "Descendents of John Windlekeit Kite" from Vinita L Shaw.
Help fund new features!