John Wilson, Cordwainer
Facts and Events
John Wilson was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 436.--15th May, 1753. Andrew Duncan and Jane to John Wilson, cordwainer, 1753, 232 acres, part of 1546 acres sold by Beverley to Patrick Campbell in Beverley Manor, and 238 acres, 1 rood, sold by Campbell to Wm. Syers, and by Sayers to Andrew Duncan; on South River Shannando. Cor. Charles Campbell and John Ward, John Brownlee's line; Manor line. (Note: this appears to be part of the 400-acres "adjoining Duncan's line" mentioned in John Wilson's will, listed below)
Will of John Wilson
- Page 62.--4th May, 1754. John Wilson's will, farmer--To son James Wilson (infant), 400 acres adjoining Duncan's line, and field commonly called Patterson's; to William (infant); to wife Anne; daughter Mary to live with her step-mother until of age; daughter Agness. Executors, Roger Keys and wife Anne. Teste: Alex. McMullen. Esther McMullen, Sarah Keys. Proved, 21st August, 1754, by Esther and Sarah. Roger Keys refuses to execute, and Anne qualifies, with sureties Roger Keys, Thomas Storey.
- Page 250.--19th May, 1758. John Wilson's account, by Ann Wilson, administratrix--Paid Edward McColgan, Edward Tar, Samuel Buchanan, John Jones, Wm. Adair.
Records of John Wilson in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Vol. 1 - SEPTEMBER, 1747. - John Carmichael vs. John Wilson.--Debt on bond by defendant to Mary Anne Campbell, dated 25th March, 1746. Witnesses, John Hays and Wm. Adair. Assigned to plaintiff last day of March, 1747. Morgan Camell.
Information on John Wilson
2. JOHN2 WILSON (ROBERT1)1 was born Bef. 1745 in Ireland?, and died 1754 in Ireland or Scotland?.
Notes for JOHN WILSON:
(from "Old Oxford and her Families" by George Wilson Diehl)
JOHN WILSON, was one of the surviving sons of Robert Wilson. He was married two times, and died in 1754. Two of his four children were named James and William, who on May 16, 1760, immigrated to Philadelphia and thus began the Wilson clan in America.
Children of JOHN WILSON are:
- 3. i. JAMES3 WILSON, b. Abt. 1750, Ireland or Scotland; d. 1824, near Buffalo Creek.
- 4. ii. WILLIAM WILSON I, b. Abt. 1750, Ireland or Scotland; d. 1808, Forks of Buffalo Creek.