Facts and Events
John Willis was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Acquisition of Land in Virginia:
- Page 97 - John Willis, 50 acres, Cataba Creek. Adjoining David Mitchell, James Alisons, James Snodgrass. Sept. 15, 1767. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 35].
Estate Records of John Willis
- Willis, John, dec. Inventory returned July 1773. [Source: Early Marriages, Wills and some Revolutionary War Records, Botetourt County, Virginia, Compiled by Anne Lowry Worrell, pg. 65].
- Botetourt Co., VA, Will Book A, page 31: William Snodgrass, Edward Springer, & James Snodgrass inventoried the estate of John Willis; recorded 13 Jul 1773.
Records in Virginia
- At a Court held for Botetourt County the 10th day of February 1773:
- John Rohmin, Plff.} agst. In Debt James Handley, Deft.}
- This day came the parties &c. & also a jury, towit; John Hannah, Peter Wright, Robert Elliott, John Miller, Robert Ewing, Saml. Crawford, John Summers, Andrew Neelly, John Willis, Wm. Medding, Joseph Scott & John McMulling, who retd. a verdt. for the plff. Judgt. accdgly. awarding damages of eleven pounds & six pence, besides his costs.
- Ord. that the court be adjd. till tomorrow morning, six o'clock.
- The minutes of these proceedings were signed by James Trimble.
- ["Annals of Southwest Virginia 1769-1800, part I" by L. P. Summers, 1970, p222].
Possible Clues to Family
- Page 379.-- 6th January, 1762. John Snelson, of Hanover, merchant, and Robert Donald, late of County of Hanover, merchant, by Thos. Buchanan, John McDowell, of Hanover, Peter Belshus, of Louisa, merchants, to Robert Breckinridge, 265 acres conveyed by mortgage by John Hays, of Albemarle, 4th April, 1751, mortgage foreclosed by decree of General Court, 15th October, 1756, £40 paid for use of Snelson and Donald, on Roanoke; cor. to survey made by John Smith. Teste: Francis Smith, Stephen Willis, Francis Smith, Jr., Wm. Anderson. Proved by witnesses. Delivered: Maj. Robert Breckinridge, 9th February, 1771.
- Vol. 1 - APRIL 26, 1763. - (101) William Preston appointed surveyor from Grymes Clearing to Catapo. Stephen Willis--Juror. (Note: Stephen Willis also near Catawba Creek, perhaps John is possible son or brother?).
Help fund new features!