West, Captain John, deputy governor from April 28, 1635, to January 18, 1637, was the brother of Lord Delaware, and was born December 14, 1590. He came to Virginia about 1620, and after the massacre in 1622 commanded a company of men against the Indians. He was a member of the council, and when in 1630 the council resolved to plant a settlement on the York, Captain West was one of the two first settlers to patent lands on King's creek. There at his residence afterwards known as Bellfield was born, in 1632, the first child of English parents born on York river. When Sir John Harvey was deposed April 28, 1635, Captain West was prevailed upon by the council to accept the office of governor, which he held for eighteen months; and though he and the other leading men were arrested for their presumption, nothing was done to him. So far from that, Wyatt was sent over governor in 1639, John West's name appeared in the new commission as "Marshall and Muster Master General," in King Charles' own handwriting. He remained a member of the council for many years later. In 1650 he sold his plantation on York river to Edward Digges, Esq., and removed to West Point, which was named for him. In March, 1660, a resolution of good will was passed by the general assembly, when in recognition of the many important favors and services rendered Virginia by "the noble family of the Wests," Captain West, now in his old age, and his family, were exempted from taxation during his life. Captain West left an only son Lieutenant Col. John West, who resided at West Point and took an important part in the affairs of the colony during his lifetime.