b.29 DEC 1736
Facts and Events
- The Walker Family, by David Walker
- Person:Phillip Walker (6)
Person:John Walker (264) and his brother Phillip are said to have come to America From Ireland prior the Revolution. They may have initially settled in Maryland, moved on to Pennsylvania, and finally to Orange County NC, settling on Jordan Creek. John's property lay in what is now Caswell County, while that of Phillip lay in Alamance County.
From: Grant Pinnax, June 23, 1010
- Title: Major
- Birth: 29 DEC 1736 in New Castle Co., DE? Fairfax Co., VA?
- Death: 29 MAR 1810 in Orange Co., NC
- Buried at Cross Roads Presbyterian Church in Alamance Co., NC. Tombstone states he was 73 at time of death, though birthdate is not visible.
- Plaque by tombstones of John and Nancy states they were born and married in Ireland and were the first Walkers in America (obviously not true).
- 1772 The only Walker listed on the Orange Co., NC tax list was a John Walker. In 1755 were JONATHAN, Samuel and Joseph Walker.
- 20 JUN 1772 Could be the John Walker who, w/Robert Chassen, witnessed the will of Robert Smith of Orange Co., NC.
- 1 SEP 1775 Captain of North Carolina Regiment.
- 17 FEB 1777 Major.
- 26 APR 1777 Lt. Col. and Aide-de-Camp to Gen. George WASHINGTON through the Winter of 1777 at Valley Forge.
- 16 AUG 1778 Probably the John Walker who witnessed the will of John Johnston of CC. A Joseph Walker and a James Walker were married to daus of this John Johnston.
- 3 MAY 1785 Witness to will of Robert Faucett.
- DEC 1792 Paid by estate of John SHY of Cas. Co. Empson BIRD, Greenwood PAINE, Jesse CARTER, Jn McMenamy, Wm RAINEY, Jn ATKINSON, Th McCauley, Isaac Cantrill, Wm LEA, Jn Forrest, And McCauley, Joe CANTRILL, Joe CARNEY, Th COLE, Nich Delone, Step MADDEN, also paid.
- 1800 Listed on p. 604 of the alphabetized Orange Co. census with 5 slaves.
- 10 JAN 1809 John Walker SEN sold to James Walker JUN, both of OC for $500 130ac on the Orange/Caswell Co. line adj Wm Fitch, John HUGHES. J. Ray, Joshua Walker, wits.
- 1816 Andrew Walker of Orange Co. from Wm, Abner, George, James, Job & Hugh Walker of Caswell Co and John, AARON, Ashford & Joshua Walker of Orange Co. for 10 cents, 181ac to heirs of John Walker, dec'd -- all land in Caswell & Orange Cos which said John Walker died seized... (except aforesaid 181ac) which the heirs of said John Walker this day deeded to said Andrew Walker as his part in said estate. Wits. G. CAMPBELL, J. RAY. Recorded Feb 1816.
- ↑ Gravestone transcription. See Cemetery Census.com for photo of headstone
- ↑ Exact DOD said to be given in Pension application, but this has not been examined
Gravestone gives DOD as 29 Mar 1810, age 73, implying a DOB of 1736/1737.