Person:John Tillery (4)

Watchers
John Tillery
d.abt. 1800
m. bef. 1724
  1. John Tillery1724 - abt 1800
  2. Mary Tillaryabt 1726 -
m. 1750
  1. Winifred Tilleryabt 1754 -
  2. John Tillery1755 - 1834
  3. Rebecca 'Rachel' Tilleryabt 1757 -
  4. Ann Tilleryabt 1759 -
Facts and Events
Name John Tillery
Alt Name John Tillary
Gender Male
Birth? 6 August 1724 North Farnham, Richmond County, Virginia
Marriage 1750 prob. Virginiato Margaret Davenport
Death? abt. 1800
Burial? Knoxville, Knox County, Tennessee

John Tillery was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia

Contents

Welcome to
Old Augusta

Early Settlers
Beverley Manor
Borden's Grant
Register
Data
Maps
Places
Library
History
Index

……………………..The Tapestry
Families Old Chester OldAugusta Germanna
New River SWVP Cumberland Carolina Cradle
The Smokies Old Kentucky

__________________________

Records of John Tillery in Augusta County, VA

From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:


  • Vol. 1 - FEBRUARY AND MAY, 1747. - John Tillory vs. James Anderson and Elizabeth, his wife, late Elizabeth Skillern.--Debt on note given by Elizabeth when single. Writ dated 28th January, 1747. Note dated 27th November, 1747.
  • Vol. 1 - ORIGINAL PETITIONS AND PAPERS FILED IN THE COUNTY COURT. 1745-1748. - Bond by John Tillery, of Albemarle County, bricklayer. David Kinked, of said county, joyner, and William Wright, of Augusta, farmer. John Tillery.
  • Vol. 2 - FEE BOOKS OF AUGUSTA COURT - 1747-8- Page 15, Jno. Tillery, Frederick County, (February), vs. Anderson.
  • Vol. 1 - MARCH, 1765 (B). - James Bell, of Amherst, vs. John Tillery, of Amherst.--Bond, 1762. Executed 28th November, 1765. (Note: same John Tillery?)
  • Vol. 1 - MAY 19, 1768. - (139) Hemp certificates: Henry Tamewood, John Tillery.
  • Vol. 2. - Tithables, 1781: William McPheeters's List: Jno. Tilley.
  • Vol. 2 - Luddington vs. Stuart--O. S. 332; N. S. 120--Bill, 1812, by Francis Luddington of Greenbrier, that on 4th August, 1787. Patrick Lockhart obtained 2 patents, one "A" for 400 acres and one "B" for 449 acres. "A" was as assignee of Jno. Tillery, in whose name survey was made 1780; "B" was in his own right on a survey in 1784. Orator surveyed in 1793 tracts adjoining and conflicting with above. After 1793 Lockhart contracted with George Reider (Rader) to sell him "B." Orator sold to Eli Perkins to whom patent issued, and he sold to John Carroll, who sold to Adam Nicely. After the sale to Reider, Lockhart sold "A" to John Stuart, 5th June, 1795, who ejected Nicely. Lockhart is dead. John Stuart answers he came to Greenbrier in 1769. The country was then uninhabited. He had then in his employ Abraham Jinkings, who (after the custom of "them" times) took up the 449 acre tract and sold to Patrick Lockhart, who made a survey in 1774. Wallace Bristan came to Greenbrier in 1772, took up the 400 acre tract and made survey in 1774 and sold to John Tillery. These and all other surveys made in Greenbrier in 1774 were made under the grant for the Greenbrier Company, but the Revolutionary War interfering, no plats issued on those surveys, nor did any organized government exist in Virginia from that time until after the Declaration of Independence in 1776. The Convention of Virginia directed a new mode for taking up unappropriated lands, and it became necessary for all persons to re-survey under the New Government, and in 1780 John Tillery made a re-survey and afterwards sold to Lockhart. Lockhart made a re-survey for the 449 acre tract. Grants issued to Lockhart for the two tracts 4th August, 1787. In 1795 Lockhart lived in Fincastle. Lockhart in 1784 bought 40 acres of survey made for Robert Armstrong in 1784. In 1791 he made an entry between Tillery and Fipher. Philip Wolfenberger deposes, he lived near the land from 1789. In 1793 he saw James Hudgins cutting still house logs. Zur Combs deposes, 1817, he lived near the land 1790-1800; he came to the country in 1790, and left in 1800. John Phifer deposes, he was a citizen of Greenbrier and lived near the land for several years prior to 1793. Thos. Edgar was surveyor of Greenbrier in 1780. The survey was made 1774 by Richard May. Josiah Shanklin was also a surveyor. Robert Mathews deposes, he aided Adam Nicely to improve his land. In 1793 George Reader moved from Shenandoah to Greenbrier and Robert Armstrong moved to Kentucky. John Craig deposes, he was raised in Greenbrier. He was born September, 1782. Thos. Masterson deposes, John James lives on the Tillery place. Conrad Daring deposes, he was distiller for Francis Luddington in 1794. George Rader deposes, his father moved to Greenbrier in 1793. Abraham Malone deposes, he has lived near the land since 1783. John Craig was born September, 1784. Deponent cleared a path for the Methodist preachers who traveled through there in 1791. Adam Rader deposes, has known the land since 1794, mentions his father as being in Greenbrier. Samuel Price deposes, 1818, is oldest justice in Greenbrier, has been a justice over 20 years. Alexander Rader deposes, in Bourbon County, Ky., 20th August, 1813. Son of George Rader (signed in German Räder).


Information on John Tillery

Information on Samuel Tillery

From "A Biographical Sketch of Patriot John Tillery":


Samuel Tillery died in St Georges Parish, Spotsylvania County, Virginia in April 1728 His will left everything to his wife Winefred (Winifred) and when she remarried in 1729 she transferred all of the property to her children John and Mary Tillery.
Winefred married David Kincade who had fled Scotland after the unsuccessful uprising of 1715. They moved with the small children John and Mary west to Greenbriar County, VA.
The son John Tillery married Margaret Davenport and they moved with the Tillery family out of the frontier because of the Indian problems. They moved in 1775 to Craig's Creek in Botetourt County, V A and purchased 193 acres. John Tillery enlisted in Virginia Troops, Continental Line July 1777. He was a drummer or fifer. He served unti1 1883. He was at Valley Forge, White Plains, Pompton Plains, Middlebrook, Haverstraw, Ramapaugh & Camp Near to name a few.
John was given a land grant of 5000 acres in the state of Franklin, later the state of Tennessee for service in the war. This was part of Grassy Valley Plantation and the first water supply came through wooden pipes from a spring on the Plantation. John and his wife are buried in the family cemetery in Knoxville TN.
General Notes: John, sister Mary, mother Winefred, and step-father David Kincade, moved westward to the Valley of Virginia and then to the calf pasture country and the Greenbriar country when the children were small. "Indian troubles on the frountier caused the Tillery family (John and wife Margaret) as well as many others, to pull back from the frontier. John and Margaret moved to Craig Creek, in Botetourt County, Virginia, in 1775. ... John and Margaret Tillery had sold their property on Craig Creek and migrated to Oglethorpe (Georgia). When Winefred died in 1787, in Oglethorp (created from Wilkes County), she left her feather bead to her great-grandson, Samuel, son of John, and Revolutionary War soldier."

Source: http://sarsat.org/HistoricalAccounts/patriotbiographies/johntillery.htm