Facts and Events
John Stephenson was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 260.--12th February, 1778. Ralph Lofftus and Sarah to Adam and John Stephenson and Samuel Anderson. Patented to William Cunningham, 10th August, 1759, on Thorny Branch. Delivered: John Bing, August, 1778. Teste: Thomas, Joseph and James Waddle.
- Pg 57 Pendleton County, VA Will Book 3 pg 279-280: 8 Dec 1813.
- Division made by the executors of John (sic) Stephenson:
- John Stephenson s/o James: $100; Adam Stephenson s/o James: $90; James Stephenson s/o James: $90; Easter Strayer, d/o James Stephenson: $100; Peggy McNulty, d/o James Stephenson: $25; Sinthy Stephenson, d/o James: $25; Jane Woods, d/o James Stephenson: $25; Becky (?) Stephenson, d/o James: $25; William Stephenson s/o Adam: $90; James Stephenson s/o Adam: $90; Ann Wadle, d/o Adam Stephenson: $25; Saly Heir (sic), d/o Adam Stephenson: $50; Saly Keislin, no relationship stated: $30; Betsy Herrin, NRS: $25; Pegy Panter, NRS: $25; William Herrin, NRS: $25; Robt Shanklin, NRS: $25. $765 paid, leaving balance of $398.
- William Stephenson shall say who is to receive the remainder.
- Sign: James (+) Stephenson, Margaret (mark) Stephenson.
- Witness: Robt Malcom.
- Recorded: 6 Sep 1814 “as a cordicial (sic) to the last will and testament of John Stephenson deceased.”
[Note: William Herron, the brother-in-law of John Stephenson, named in the record above, died in July 1806, so John Stephenson's will was likely written prior to that date).
- Pg 73 Pendleton County, VA Will Book 4 pg 66-67: 17 Nov 1821.
- James Stephenson. ... money coming to me from uncle John Stephenson’s estate
- VA Colonial Soldiers, 1794 [Note: likely this John Stephenson]
- Pg 264 Bounty Land Applications: Rockingham County: John Stephenson was a soldier under Capt. McClanahan in an independent company of rangers. 28 Mar 1780
- Pg 301 Warrant for 50 acres issued to John Stephenson, a soldier in Capt. McClanahan’s Independent Company in Col Boquet’s campaign. Mar 1780 Rockingham Co.
- Name: John Stephenson
Birth: abt 1748, Augusta County, VA
Death: abt 1810, Pendleton County, WV
Death Memo: bef 6 Sep 1814?
Help fund new features!