Facts and Events
||btw 10 Oct 1735 and 24 May 1736
||Lancaster, PAwill date and probate date
- Document:Will of John Snoddy 1735, Lancaster PA
- Snoddy Family of Hanover Twp, Lancaster, PA
John Snoddy wrote his will 10 Oct 1735 in Lancaster County PA. It was probated 24 May 1736. The will itself offers little information, but gives a few clues to his life and circumstances:
- The introduction to his will reads "In the name of God, Amen - the 20th day of October 1735 - according to the comptation [sic] of the Chowith of Ingllen..." which should probably be read as "In the name of God, Amen - the 20th day of October 1735 - according to the computation of the Church of England". This may indicate that he was a member of the Church of England, rather than Presbyterian.
- He mentions no children by name, but makes bequests to his "grandchildren". This implies that he has at least one married adult child. It further implies that he was probably born before 1695 (1695=1735-20-20), He does not mention his wife, so we presume she has predeceased him.
- He designates "my Osen John Marr. Coner" to be whole and sole executor of this my last will and testament", which should probably be read "my cousin John McConner to be whole and sole executor of this my last will and testament". Reaseraching a John McConner in Lancaster County c1736 might reveal more information about John Snoddy's family. John McConner is presumably a sister's son, though other relationships are sometimes described as "cousin".
Carol Snoddy Byerly lists the following children for John Snoddy 9. No basis is given for identifying the following as his children.
- William Snoddy. He was born Abt. 1712 in Browndodd, Co Antrim, NI. He married Mary Elabeth Laird. They were married 1726 in Co Antrim, NI. He died May 1736 in Hanover, Lancaster Co, PA.
- person:Matthew Snoddy (1). He was born Abt. 1714 in Co Antrim, NI. He married Mabel ?. They were married Abt. 1743. He died Aug 1780 in West Hanover, Lancaster Co, PA.
- John Snoddy Jr.. He was born Abt. 1716 in Co Antrim, NI. He died 1746 in Lancaster Co, PA.
- ↑ .