Facts and Events
John Sharp was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 304.--18th July, 1780. James Kirkpatrick and Agness to John Sharpe, late of Chester County, Pennsylvania, plantation James lives on. (Note: this record is likely for this John Sharp. Since it refers to him as living prior to abt. 1780 in Chester County, Pennsylvania, most (if not all) of John Sharp's children were likely born in Pennsylvania. This land appears to be "on Middle River of Shenandoah" based upon prior records).
Will of John Sharp
- Page 227.--2d July, 1816. John Sharpe's will--To son, Joseph; sons, John and Robert; son, Thomas; daughter, Ann Henry; daughter, Jane Black; daughter, Letitia Clarke; daughter, Peggy Weir; daughter. Fanny Porter; son James died intestate seized of considerable lands in Georgia. Executors, sons-in-law John Henry, James Black. Teste: Aaron Beaty, Elijah Carson, George Shultz. Proved, 27th January, 1817. Executors qualify.
Records in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Page 314.--17th August, 1772. William ( ) Hamilton and Margret to James Kirkpatrick. Delivered to John Sharp, the now proprietor, 25th March, 1795.
- Vol. 2 - Marriage Bond - 1796--September 30, Wm. Porter and Joseph Sharp, surety. Wm. Porter and Fanny Sharp, daughter of John Sharp, Sr. (consent). Teste: Jno. Sharp, Jr.
- Vol. 2 - Marriage Bond - 1799--January 4, James Black and Robert Sharp, surety. James Black and Jane Sharp, daughter of John Sharp, Sr. (consent). Teste: Joseph Sharp.
- Vol. 2 - Marriage Bond - 1800--February 14, John Henry and Joseph Sharp, surety. John Henry and Amy Sharp, daughter of John Sharp, Sr. (consent). Teste: Thos. Sharp.
- http://www.tngenweb.org/monroe/lsharp.htm (Note: this website claims that this John Sharp was a son of Matthew Sharpe (and wife Jane), who died in Augusta County in 1759, but this appears to be in error. There are no will or estate records of such a Matthew Sharpe in Chalkley's records; however, there is a Matthias 'Matthew' Shaup (Sharp) (whom had a son named John) of German origin that may have been confused with this family. Additional research is necessary).
- ↑ International Genealogical Index. (LDS Church, 1999-2005).