Facts and Events
John Ruckman was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 108 - 28th November, 1751. James Patton to John Ruckman, 280 acres by patent as above. Buffalo Creek of James.
Disposition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 410--29th June, 1762. Thomas Ruckman, eldest brother and heir-at-law of John Ruckman. late of Augusta County, deceased, of the County of Northampton, in Pennsylvania, to William Davies, of Philadelphia. £43.10, 280 acres on head of Buffalo Creek of James River. Proved by witnesses.
Estate Records of John Ruckman
- Page 11.--20th March, 1754. John Ruckman's appraisement, by Joseph Long, John Hanna, James Bets, Henry Kirkum.
Records of John Ruckman in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley's Augusta County Records:
- Vol. 1 - 1753-1754 (Part 1). - Petition for road from Joseph Long's mill to James Young's mill and by William Hall's, on the North River, and into the Great Road on James Thompson's plantation. It is our course to meeting, mill and market. John Carr, James Campbell, Robert Young, Joseph Long, Samuel Gibson, Solomon Whitly, John Collyer, William Hall, Gilbert Crawford, George Gibson, John Ruckman, James Barton, William Waddington, William Brown, James Moore, John Hanna, James Hutton, William Todd, James Bates, James Footd, James Young, Patrick Young.
- Vol. 1 - MARCH 21, 1753. - (415) Joseph Long and James Young, overseers, with Robert Young, Joseph Long, Samuel Gibson, Solomon Whitley, John Collier, William Hall, Gilbert Crawford, George Gibson, John Ruckman, Thomas Burton, Wm. Wadington, Wm. Brown, James Moore, John Hanna, James Huston, Wm. Todd, James Bats, James Todd, James Young, Patrick Young, John Carr and James Campbell--keep the road from Joseph Long's Mill to James Young's Mill, thence to the Great Road on James Thompson's Plantation.
- Page 235.--17th August, 1769. The estate of Col. James Patton, Dr.-- To William Thompson, an executor, 1757, cash paid Col. Wm. Walker, cash paid Col. Green, cash paid Richard Vernon, James Coyle. 1762, February 10th, by to Banyans appraised. Cash of Doctor Walker on account of Jacob Harmon in full of the Horseshoe bottom. Cash of John Roerty, Andrew Haislip, Jacob Larton, Jacob Shull, James Hollis, Daniel Brown. By cash of Thos. Henry, rent of land in Louisa; Jno. Sprout, John and Christian Bigaman, Wm. Ledford, Jno. Ledford, Michl. Dougherday, Hugh Mares, Wm. Lepperd and Jacob Dye. James Hutton, Jno. Wiley for Jno. Ruckman, John Douglas for a tract of land in Louisa since Col. Patton's death.