Facts and Events
- John Roberson's Will
- Granville County, North Carolina Original Wills
- In the name of god amen the Eight day of April one Thousand Seven hundred and Seventy three, I JOHN ROBERSON of the County of Granville and province of North Carolina being sick and weak of body, yet in perfect Sence and Memory thanks be to god for the same do make Constitute Ordain and Declare this to be my last will and Testament & no other & first being penitent & Sorry from the Bottom of my heart for all my Sins past most humbly begging gods forgiveness and Remission of Ihe same through the Alone Merits of my dear Redeemer & Only Saviour jesus Christ I Commit my Soul in the hands of Almighty god my Saviour & Only Redeemer through the Merits of whose death & passion I hope to have full & perfect Remission & forgiveness of all my sins & my body to be Decently Enter'd by my Excer hereafter Named in hopes of a happy Resurrection at the last day & my soul and body to Enter into perfect joy & felicity forevermore & for the Settling and Disposing of my Temporal Estate & such goods and Chattels as it hath pleased god far above my Deserts to bestow upon me I do Order give and Dispose as followeth that is to say first all those Debts and and duties as I Owe in Right or Conscience to any person Whatsoever shall be well and truly Contented and paid within Convenient time after my Decease by my Execer hereafter:
- First I Will & bequeath unto [myl Daughter SARAH SHORT one Negro winch Named Cate and her Children
- Also I give unto my Son JOHN ROBERSON one Negro fellow named Tony
- Also I give and bequeath unto my son NICHOLAS ROBERSON one Negro Winch called Phillis
- Also I give and bequeath unto MARK ROBERSON Youngest Chile one Negro [fell]ow Named Peter Called Great Peter
- Also I give & bequeath unto my Grand Daughter RUTH, Abram Roberson's Daughter One Negro fellow Bob & one Child Cate one Bed and furniture & one Cow and Calf
- Also I give & bequeath unto ROBERT ROBERSON Littlet Peter & Negro Winch Sarah
- Also I give and bequeath unto James Mitchel fifty Acres of land Of the uper Side of the Branch Whereon he lives
- Also I give and bequeath unto NATHA ROBERSON Negro Winch Febe
- Also / I give to my Grand Daughter SUSANAH ROBERSON one Negro Child called Sarah
- Also I give to James Mitchel one Negro Winch Called Silivany
- ITEM it is my will that my wife MARY ROBERSON have all the Rest of my Negroes horses hoggs & Cattle Also all my household goods with the land she now lives on with all the Moveable on the said plantation as long as she MARY ROBERSON doth live & afer her Discease its my will that the land & Everything there is then should be sold & Equally Divided Between my Seven Children first SARAH, JOHN, NICHOLS, NATHANIEL, FRANCIS, MARK, ROBERT.
- Now the Execer whom I do ordain and Appoint is EDW. ROBERSON. Miles Williams & Charles Eaton to see the same truly executed & Fully perform'd
- In Witness whereof I have fixed my seal and set my hand the Day and Year first Written Sealed and Signed in the presence of us hereafter Named: William Neal, Jurat Travis, Bowdon Jurat, Osmond Morgain.
- (signed) John Roberson (seal)
- Granville County May Court Anno Dom 1774. The within Will was duly prov'd by the Oath of William Neal and Travis Bowdon two subscribing Witness and on Motion was Order'd to be Recorded.
- Test: Reuben Searcy CC
- [Source: North Carolina State Archives Original Wills. Also available at North Carolina County Court of Pleas and Quarter Sessions (Granville County), Wills, 1746-1943; index, 1749-1943, volume 1, 1772-1789, FHL Microfilm 18970. Document images courtesy of Virginia Mann].
Source: http://www.robertson-ancestry.com/11-will.htm, The Robertson Genealogy Exchange