John Poage, of James River, Augusta County, VA
- H. John Poage, of James River, Augusta County, VAAbt 1715 - 1802
- W. Miss BogessBEF 1720 - ABT 1739
m. ABT 1737
- John Poage, Jr.1737/38 - 1789
Facts and Events
John Poage was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
- source:Diehl, 1982 Rockbridge County Notebook p. 48
- person:Robert Poage (1)
Acquisition of Land from Orange County, Virginia Records:
- 13 March 1745 - Land Survey for John Poage for 214 acres on Cedar Creek (branch of the James River), by Thomas Lewis, Surveyor. [Orange County Virginia Deed Book 10, Dorman, pg. 53].
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
- John Poage acquired a tract of 400 acres "on the James River on west side Blue Ridge" on 12 January, 1746, as listed in transaction listed in "dispositions" below.
- Page 845.-- (undated, prob. bet. July-August 1750)- James Patton, Gent., to John Poage, farmer, 238 acres on James River branches.
- Page 436.--21st August, 1760. Steven ( ) Arnold to John Poage, Sr., £44, 120 acres; cor. Hugh Mares. Delivered: Jno. Poage, March, 1769.
- 17th August, 1762.- John Poage enters 200 acres on south side of South Branch, opposite Shelton's tract on Earhart's Branch.
- 17th August, 1762- Same (John Poage) enters 1,000 acres on head branches of Wolf Creek and Sinking Creek, branches of Greenbrier and New River.--John Archer.
- 16th November, 1762- John Poage entered 3 full entrys of land on a branch of Back Creek called the Valley, opposite to Jno. Miller's on Jackson River.--James Lockhart.
- Vol. 1 - 1763-4, Pt. 1. - 16th November, 1763. John Poage entered three tracts on a branch of Back Creek, called the Valley, opposite to John Miller's on Jackson's River.
Disposition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 461.--19th November, 1747. £41. John Doage (s/b Poage), farmer, to Richard Burton, farmer, 400 acres on James River on west side Blue Ridge patented to John, 12th January, 1746. Teste: James Porteus, Benj. Johnston. Acknowledged, 19th November, 1747.
- Vol. 1 - AUGUST 19, 1747. - (248) John Pickens and Wm. Bell to be overseers of the road (see p. 239 above) from Co. Ho. to Picken's Mill, with these tithables: Wm. Lewis, James Robertson, Thomas Gordon, Wm. Baskins, James Lasley, James Wallis, Danl. Deniston, Daniel Deniston, Jr., William Bell, Jr., John Poge, Geo. Crawford.
- Page 260.--5th June, 1749. John Smith, Gent., to Silas Hart, mason, 400 acres on South Fork of North River of Shannadore. James Wood's line. Patented to John, 25th June, 1747. Margaret, John's wife, releases dower. Teste: John Thompson, John Poage, John Archer.
- Vol. 1 - AUGUST 27, 1751. - (179) Road ordered to be viewed from John Anderson's to the Co. Ho. by John Poage and James Allen.
- Vol. 1 - AUGUST 19, 1752. - (313) James Campbell, qualified Captain of Foot; John Maxwell, qualified Captain of Troop of Horse; Robert Renix, qualified Cap. of Troop of Horse; John Poage, qualified Cap. of Troop of Horse; James Edmondson, qualified Cap. of Troop of Horse; John Hogshead, qualified Cap. of Troop of Horse; Mathew Edmondson, qualified Cornet; Adam Harmon, qualified Cap. of a Troop of Horse; George Anderson, qualified Cap. of Troop of Horse; Augustine Price, qualified Lieut. of a Troop of Horse; Jacob Harmon, qualified Cornet.
- Vol. 1 - AUGUST 20, 1757. - (25) Motion Joshua Mathews--Robert and John Poage to be summoned to say whether either will administer on estate of Robert Renix, decd., they being nearest of kin. (Note: the relationship to Robert Renix is undetermined. Robert Renix is listed as having land "on a Branch of James River at a place called "Poage Farm").
- Vol. 1 - AUGUST 16, 1759. - (290) John Poage and Saml. Henderson qualify admrs. of Elizabeth Robinion, decd., Mathew Robinson, the heir-at-law, refusing.
- Vol. 1 - NOVEMBER 23, 1762. - (448) John Poage, gent., took the usual oaths to his Majesty, &c., which were ordered to be certified.
- Vol. 1 - JUNE 21, 1763. - (113) New Commission--John Chiswell, John Buchanan, John Wilson, Silas Hart, Andrew Lewis, James Lockhart, Richard Woods, Robert Breckinridge, Patrick Martin, Wm. Preston, Alexr. Sayers, John Bowyer, John Dickenson, John Christian, Francis Tyler, Daniel Smith, John Archer, James Buchanan, Archd. Alexander, Israel Christian, Mathew Patton, John Maxwell, John Poage, James Lockridge, Felix Gilbert, Abraham Smith, James Trimble, Charles Lewis, Samuel McDowell, George Moffett, Benj. Hawkins, Francis Kirtley, Andrew Bird--dated 16 April, 1763.
- Vol. 1 - MAY 24, 1766. - (375) James Trimble's mark recorded. John Poage's mark recorded. Danl. Smith's mark recorded.
- Vol. 1 - NOVEMBER 20, 1767. - (366) Hemp certificates: John Fulton, Saml. Lawrence, John Poage.
- Vol. 1 - MAY 15, 1770. - (102) John Gratton, Alexr. McClenachan, John Poage, Saml. McDowell, George Moffet, Archibald Huston, John Hays, Wm. Bowyer, John McClenachan--qualified vestrymen.
- Vol. 1 - MARCH 16, 1773. (1) New commission--Justices, viz: Silas Hart, John Dickinson, Daniel Smith, John Poage,* Abraham Smith,* George Moffett, Alexr. McClenachan,* Mathew Harrison, George Mathews,* Alexr. Robertson,* John Hays, James Craig,* John Frogg,* William Tees, James Lockhart, John Christian, Archibald Alexander,* Felix Gilbert, Samuel McDowell, Sampson Mathews, William Bowyer,* John McClenachan,* Michael Bowyer,* John Gratton, Thos. Hugart,* Elijah McClenachan,* Josiah Davidson, John Skidmore.--Dated November 6, 1772. (Those with (*) qualified.)
- Vol. 1 - MARCH 15, 1774. - (309) John Poage, Archibald Alexander and Michael Bowyer, qualified Justices.
- Vol. 1 - JANUARY 17, 1775. - (30) New Commission from Dunmore, viz: Silas Hart, John Dickinson, James Lockhart, John Christian, Daniel Smith,* John Poage, Abraham Smith,* George Moffett,* Alexr. McClenachan,* Mathew Harrison, Michael Bowyer,* John Gratton, Thomas Hughes, Elijah McClenachan,* Josiah Davidson, John Skidmore, John Campbell, Thos. Smallman, John Gibson, John Stephenson, John Cannon, Silas Hedge, William Gee (McGee?), Archd. Alexander, Felix Gilbert,* Samuel McDowell,* Sampson Mathews,* William Bowyer,* George Mathews,* Alexr. Robertson,* John Hayes,* James Craig, John Frogg, Wm. Teas,* George Croghan, Edward Ward, Dawsey Pentecost, Wm. Crawford. John McCullough, Geo. Vallendegham and David Shepherd. (Those marked (*) qualified.)
- Vol. 1 - MARCH 25, 1775. - (62) John Poage qualified Justice, &c.
- Vol. 1 - AUGUST 20, 1776. - (111) Thomas Hughart, Daniel Smith and John Poage qualified Justices.
- Vol. 1 - NOVEMBER 19, 1776. - (128) New Commission, viz: Silas Hart, John Christian, Archibald Alexander, Felix. Gilbert, Samuel McDowell, Sampson Mathews, Alexr. Robinson, John Hays, James Craig, John Lewis, Charles Campbell,* John Dickinson, Daniel Smith,* John Poage,* Abraham Smith, George Moffat,* Michael Bowyer, John Gratton, Thos. Huggart,* Elijah McClenachan, Alexander St. Clair,* John Kinkead, James Tate.* (Those marked (*) qualified.)
- Vol. 1 - FEBRUARY 17, 1778. - (261) Ordered to be certified to the Governor that the following Justices are recommended for appointments as Justices will fall in the new Counties, viz: In Augusta--John Dickenson, John Christian, John Poage, George Moffet, Sampson Mathews, Alexr. McClenachan, William Bowyer, George Mathews, Michael Bowyer, Alexr. Robertson, Thomas Huggart, Elijah McClenachan, John Lewis, Alexr. St. Clair, John Kinkead, James Tate, William McPheeters, James Steel, John McCreery, Joshua Humphreys, Joseph Bell, Peter Hanger, James Craig--the two last to be left out for refusing to take the oath of allegiance.
- Vol. 1 - OCTOBER 20, 1778. Page (361) New Commission of the Peace, viz: Thomas Adams, John Christian, George Moffet,* Alexr. McClenachan, Michael Bowyer, Thos. Hugart, John Lewis, John Kinkead,* Wm. McPheeters, John McCreary,* Joseph Bell, Samuel Vance, David Henderson,* James Trotter, Jr.,* Jonas Friend, Smith Tandy, John Dickenson, John Poage, Sampson Mathews,* William Bowyer, Alexr. Robertson,* Elijah McClenachan, Alexr. St. Clair, James Tate,* James Steele,* Joseph Humphreys, Pat. Hanger, John Wilson, James Tremble, Benj. Wilson, John Davidson, Wm. Lowther, Andrew Davidson. (Those marked (*) qualified.)
- Vol. 1 - NOVEMBER 19, 1779. - (165) John Poage qualified Justice.
- Vol. 1 - 16th December, 1780.-- John Poage gives this public notice: That the following persons propose making inclusive surveys, viz: Leonard Bell, round the land where he lives in the Cow Pasture; Jacob Doran, round the land he got of Ludwick Shaddow, near William Mathews; John Archer, round the land where he lives on north side Middle River; Samuel Henderson and James Crawford, joining the land formerly Thomas Stevenson's.
- Vol. 1 - 1781-2. - Howard's Creek, June 4, 1782. Hugh McWilliams was committed by John Poage on suspicion of being unfriendly to the State, but now orders his release. Hugh has cousins in Carolina, who are tories of the same name. John Moffett.
- Vol. 1 - MARCH 16, 1785. - (9) John Poage refuses to act as Justice on account of age, &c.
- Vol. 1 - OFFICE JUDGMENTS. - NOVEMBER, 1788. - Rennick's Assignee Vs. Poage.--Writ 15th April, 1788. Wm. Rennick of Greenbrier County, 14th February, 1787.
free pages the following should be replaced with an independent text. It's temporary use here should be considered as "fair use" while the article is being developed.
John Poage first appears in the Orange County records in June 1739 as head of a commission which viewed and located a road from the North Mountain in Beverley Manor to the top of the Blue Ridge and thence to the bounds of Goochland County. His older brother, Robert Poage, first appeared in records of Orange County Court on May 22, 1740 to "prove his importation" with the view of taking up public lands. The record notes that Robert and his wife, Elizabeth [sister of Wm Preston] and nine named children came from Ireland to Philadelphia and "thence to this colony". John is said to have been twelve years younger than his brother Robert and to have had but two children before 1740.
JOHN POAGE was born in Ireland ca 1715 and died October 1802 in Rockbridge County. He married (1) "Miss Bogess". She died ca. 1739, probably in childbirth. John married (2) Jean Beggs/Boggs. She was born ca. 1717, probably in Ireland, and died July 1802 in Rockbridge Co. VA. Both John and Jean are reported as buried in the graveyard at High Bridge Presbyterian church, but are not named in a printed list of burials there.
Dr. Diehl’s Founders of Falling Spring, Rockbridge Notebook: "John Poage seems to have been married twice. His first wife, by whom he was the father of a son, John, Jr. was a Miss Bogess. . . second marriage was to Jane Boggs/Beggs . He bought a 214 acre tract of land in 1749 in the "Fork of the James" about the same time as Alexander Beggs (Boggs, Baggs) and the men may have been brothers-in-law. "
" a purchaser of 250 acres on Falling Springs was "Alexander Beggs, or Boggs, or Baggs -- the spelling of names in the early records of the frontier was always by sound... It may be surmised that Poage and Beggs were brothers-in-law." Spelling was a bit creative; variations of Poage include Poague, Pogue, Poage--sometimes within the same document. But it's also easy to see by looking at old ledgers, that a bigger problem is poor handwriting and fading ink make it difficult to distinguish an e from an a or o. It's also helpful to keep in mind that double ss was often written f , or ff.
Rockbridge Country Roads Directory, courtesy of Mike Gardebled. In 1749 early settler John Poague bought a 214-acre farm on a small tributary of North River (now Maury River) known as Poague's Run. He and his descendants built a home place on what they called their Oak Bank Farm, a mill on Poague's Run, and a store on the old Valley Road. Poague Lane is about 1 mile south of Alexander Beggs' homestead on Forge Road. Poague Run is a small stream and traverses a winding path of about 10 miles. This area
is just east of Glasgow near the George Washington Nat'l Forest.
CAPTIVES OF ABB'S VALLEY, 1942 edition, p. 13:
- John Poage was a farmer and his house stood along the old Valley road, somenine miles southwest of Lexington in the Fancy Hill district to thesouth side of Poague Run, the place now called Oak Bank, the name ofthe voting precinct. The old road passed in front of the house whichfaces eastwards but is now a hundred and forty yards southeast of theValley Pike, US Route 11. . . a
structure of hewed logs laid skin-to-skinand weather-boarded with a mateal (sic) roof and a stone chimney topped withbrick... There are other old Poage homes in the Fancy Hill district and many ofthis line and name sleep in the graveyard of the Falling Spring church, as well as in the old graveyard at Old Providence church.
Sampson, Mrs. -- KITH AND KIN, p. 139 -- names Jean Somers as the wife of John Poage of Rockbridge. Miss Caroline Poage Allen, in a letter written from Liberty, Indiana in 1893,
She states that he married first .... Bogess (first name unknown) by whom he had one child, John, and secondly to Jane Boggs; that Jean Summers was the mother of Martha Beggs, and sister of Jane Summers who was her owngrandmother on her Allen side; and that she was positive John Poage was only a half brother to her grandfather, Robert Poage.
[Ed. Note: I’m still puzzling over the tidbit above, but will share it anyway.]
Chalkley’s Chronicles of the Scotch-Irish: (Court Records of Augusta County, VA 1745-1800):-
August 19, 1751- Qualified as Capt of Troop of Horse. (Militia)
August 19, 1757- Robert and John Poage to be summoned to say whether either will administer on
estate of Robert Renix, decd., they being nearest of kin....
Aug 16, 1759- John Poage and Saml. Henderson qualify adms. of Elizabeth Robinson, decd,
Mathew Robinson, heir-at-law refusing...
Nov. 23, 1762- John Poage, gent., took the usual oaths to his Majesty, &c., which were ordered
to be certified....
June 21, 1763- Member of new commission (33 members) ...John Poage.
The following minutes for the meetings of the Vestry, would indicate the John was a very active--and possibly a very opinionated--member. This is not the only time he objects to the actions of another who differs on religious or political issues.
AUGUSTA PARISH VESTRY BOOK. ADMINISTRATORS' BONDS:-
21st November, 176 7 Page 427--
Vestry met. Following have subscribed a declaration in Vestry to be conformable to the Doctrine
and Disciplin of the Church of England according to Law, viz: Col. John Buchanan, Mr. George
Mathews, Mr. James Lockhart, Mr. Jno. Buchanan, Mr. John Archer, Mr. Sampson Mathews,
Mr. John Poage, Mr. Wm. Fleming. £3 levied for Robt. Shanklin, Clerke at Cap. Harrison's in
yeare 1763 be paid to John Shanklin. Daniel Perse and wife appointed to take care of the poor
at the poor house for one year.
Clerk ordered to make up an account of expense of keeping the poor prior to 1765 (before
erection of the poor house), and since that time, so that it may be determined whether the poor
house is a burden or not. George Skillern resigns as Vestryman and John Madison chosen
in his stead. Following Vestrymen object to Israel Christian's signing the proceedings because
he refused signing the Declaration in Vestry, viz: Sampson Mathews, James Lockhart, John Poage,
George Mathews, Mr. John Buchanan.
May 15, 1770- Qualified vestryman...
17th August, 1762.- John Poage enters 200 acres on south side of South Branch, opposite Shelton's tract on Earhart's Branch.
17th August, 1762- Same enters 1,000 acres on head branches of Wolf Creek and Sinking Creek, branches of Greenbrier and New River.--John Archer
16th November, 1762- John Poage entered 3 full entrys of land on a branch of Back Creek
called the Valley, opposite to Jno. Miller's on Jackson River.--James Lockhart.
17th November, 1772 (DEED BOOK NO. 19.ADDITIONAL MEMBERS OF THE EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE)---John Poage to Rev. John Craig, John Anderson,
Robert Poage, Alexander Blair, James Allen, Sr., Alexander Walker, Michael Dickey, James Henderson, Andrew McComb, James Allen, Jr., George Moffett, being the session and regularly chosen for the Congregation of Augusta or Stone Meeting House and appointed as Commissioners to act in behalf of said congregation and to accept and take a title for a tract of 27 acres for the sole use of a Dissenting Presbyterian Congregation as a place of Public Worship. Patent to John Poage, 14th July, 1769, corner old brick kiln. [p.527]
1783 - Tax Assmt. Lexington, VA
John Poage Household: 2-free white males 1-slave, Fillis (over 16 yrs. old); 4-horses; 16 cows.
March 16, 1785- John Poage refused to act as Justice on account of age. John served for over 20 years as a justice. One of his early official letters provides some insight to his personality and wit:
Jean Beggs Poage died in July 1802, and John Poage died in October of the same year.
Both have been reported as buried in the graveyard at High Bridge Presbyterian cemetery,
but neither are named in a printed list of burials there. John had ten children. This list of them,
with dates of birth and names of spouses, comes from Samuel Lattimore Houston, dated
Indianapolis, Ind, March 28 1915.
1. John POAGE b: 27 FEB 1738/39 in Augusta Co., VA
2 .Grizelda \ Grizel "Grace" POAGE b: 24 FEB 1740 in Augusta Co., VA
3. Martha POAGE b: 20 DEC 1742 in Augusta Co., VA
4. Robert POAGE b: 18 AUG 1745 in Augusta Co., VA
5. William POAGE b: 12 JUL 1747 in Augusta Co., VA
6. Ann POAGE b: 12 OCT 1749 in Augusta Co., VA
7. James POAGUE b: 17 MAR 1752 in Augusta Co., VA
8. Jonathan POAGE b: 4 OCT 1754 in Rockbridge Co., VA
9. Thomas POAGE b: 6 FEB 1756 in Rockbridge Co., VA
10. Rebecca POAGE b: 24 JUN 1764 in Rockbridge Co., VA.
From Rootsweb.com post:
John POAGE and Jane (BOGG), of Mill Creek, Rockbridge County,
had children: John, born January 27, 1738, married Elizabeth Mitchel;
Grizel, born February 24, 1740, married John McCROSKY; Martha
born December, 20, 1742, married James MOORE; Robert, born
August 18, 1745, married Peggy Mitchell; William, born July 12,
1747, married Ann (___); Ann POAGE, born October 12, 1749,
married John CARUTHERS; James POAGE, born March 17, 1752,
married Nancy Hogshead; Jonathan POAGE, born October 4, 1754,
married Martha Beggs; Thomas POAGE, born February 6, 1756,
married Lydia Cowen; Rebekah POAGE, born June 24, 1764,
married John Allen. [Kegley’s Virginia Frontier, 1938 (reprint),
by F. B. Kegley, pages 554-555]. Mill Creek empties into the
North River, a branch of the James River.