Facts and Events
John Osborne was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Records of John Osborne in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley's Augusta County Records:
- Vol. 1 - OCTOBER, 1765 (D). - John Hopes (Hapes) vs. Daniel Harrison.--Chancery. Spa. issued September, 1763. Bill states that orator was some years ago employed as Deputy Sheriff under Robert McClenachan, and continued so for two years. Thomas Harrison, Daniel Harrison and John Cravens were his securities. As the end of orator's term drew near he became fearful that he would be behind in his accounts, and withdrew himself to Carolina, leaving his Sheriff's books and effects for the satisfaction of his bondsmen. His effects were immediately attached by Daniel Harrison, who was appointed Deputy Sheriff in orator's place. After some time orator returned to Virginia and sold a tract of land for £47, which he paid to his securities, expecting to have an account rendered to him by defendant, but orator waited a long time for an accounting, and then applied for one, but has never gotten one yet. Prayer for acconuting. Daniel Harrison's answer states that: Claims that orator is still in his debt. Account follows: Downes's fees--William Carrel, David Johnson, James Scott, John Dunbar, William Longin, Mathy Thomas, John Griffeth, John Megil. Adam Bracen Righ's book (boock)--Alen Sculps, Alen Jackson. John Bumgardner's book--Jonathan Duglis, Aorgin Jones, John Crage, Thos. Dwode, Ben Inman Gouge, John Harrison, Henry Netherentine, Samuel Lonard, Renell Macdannel, Jeremiah Orsburn, Jr., Samuel Pattron, James Rutledge, Samuel Samples, Edward Shankling, Hugh Duglis, Wm. Ewing, David Crage, John Griffeth, James Gray, Reuben Harrison, Samuel Henderson, Francis MacBred, Richard Marling, John Phillips, John Pattron, Valentine Seveor, Mathew Ship, John Walker, Thomas Holing, Mung Price, Hugh Camel, John Davis, Jacob Glashe, John Holmes, Joell Hornback, Thomas Loin (Lain), Peter Mate, John Orsburn, Josiah Parrent, Edward Rutledge, James Scot, Mathous Sulcer, Richard Tictum.
- Page 438.--9th October, 1784. Adam Broabacks' will--To wife, Elizabeth, farm until children come of age; to son, Philip, homeplace, 85 acres; to daughter, Sarah; to John Osburn, deed to be made by executors for land sold to him in Bedford; deed to be made to the purchaser for the place whereon father lived. Executors, wife and Conrad Slusher. Teste: Samuel McCutchan, Jno. McCutchan, Lawes Geldmaker. Proved, 21st December, 1784, by Jno. McCutchen and Hilmaker. Executors qualify.
Information on John Osborne
2. REV. JOHN A.2 OSBORN (JEREMIAH1 OSBORN(E)) was born Abt. 1739, and died 1806 in GREENBRIER COUNTY, VIRGINIA. He married ELIZABETH CLAYPOOL Unknown,daughter of JAMES CLAYPOOL and JANE BYRD. She was born Abt. 1739 in Cedar Branch, Rockingham, VA, and died Bef. 5-May-1805 in Greenbriar, WV.
- Children of JOHN A. OSBORN and ELIZABETH CLAYPOOL are:
- i. SARAH3 OSBORNE, b. 1761, Rockbridge County, VA.; d. Unknown; m.GEORGE ALDERSON, 1781, Marriage performed by , Rev. John Alderson,Jr.; b. Abt. 1762, Augusta County, VA.; d. Unknown.
- ii. ELIJAH OSBORN, b. Abt. 1770, Lost River, Hardy County, Virginia; d.Abt. 1840, Casey Co., KY.
- iii. DAVID OSBORN, b. Abt. 1774, WV; d. Unknown.
- iv. DEBORAH OSBORNE, b. Unknown; d. Unknown; m. EDWARD JOHNSTON, Unknown; b. Unknown; d. Unknown.
- v. ELIZABETH OSBORNE, b. Unknown; d. Unknown; m. JOHN DUNBAR,10-Feb-1783, Ceremony performed by Rev. John Alderson, Jr.; b. 1730,VA; d. Jun-1794, Greenbrier Co., VA.
- vi. HULDAH OSBORNE, b. Unknown; d. Unknown; m. SAMUEL KINCAID,Unknown; b. Unknown; d. Unknown.
- vii. JAMES OSBORNE, b. Unknown; d. Unknown; m. MARTHA JOHNSTON,Unknown; b. Unknown; d. Unknown.
- viii. JANE OSBORNE, b. Unknown; d. Unknown.
- ix. JEREMIAH OSBORNE, b. Unknown; d. Unknown; m. LUCY MCDONALD,Unknown; b. Unknown; d. Unknown.
- x. JOHN OSBORNE, JR., b. Unknown; d. Unknown.
- xi. JOSEPH OSBORNE, b. Unknown; d. Unknown.
- xii. LEVI OSBORNE, b. Unknown; d. Unknown; m. NANCY JOHNSTON, Unknown; b. Unknown; d. Unknown.
JOSEPH3 OSBORNE (JOHN A.2 OSBORN, JEREMIAH1 OSBORN(E)) was born Unknown,and died Unknown. He married WINIFRED MCKINNEY Unknown. She was born Unknown, and died Unknown.
Child of JOSEPH OSBORNE and WINIFRED MCKINNEY is:
i. LEMUEL A.4 OSBORNE, b. 10-Jul-1818, Champaign Co., OH; d. 9-Mar-1874, Hanging Grove Twp., Jasper Co., IN.