Facts and Events
He moved with his parents from North Carolina to Parke County, Indiana, in 1829.
Mahaska County, Iowa, 1856 state census:S5
- Myers, John L. 34 yrs 4 yrs in state b. North Carolina Farmer
- Welthy 27 yrs 4 yrs in state b. Ohio
- Syrena A. 3 yrs b. Iowa
- Mary A. 2 yrs b. Iowa
Mahaska County, Iowa, 1860 census:S6
- Myers, John L. 38 yrs Farmer (real estate = $3,600; personal estate = $600) b. North Carolina
- Welthy 31 yrs Housewife b. Ohio
- Serena A. 7 yrs b. Iowa
- Mary A. 6 yrs b. Iowa
- Roena M. 4 yrs b. Iowa
- Oliver J. 1 yr b. Iowa
Mahaska County, Iowa, 1870 census:S7
- Myers, J. L. 47 yrs b. North Carolina Farmer (real estate = $4,800; personal estate = $900)
- W. [Welthy] wife 42 yrs b. Ohio
- M. [Mary Ann] dau 16 yrs b. Iowa
- R. E. [Roena] dau 13 yrs b. Iowa
- J. [Joseph Oliver] son 11 yrs b. Iowa
- S. [Sarah Jane] dau 9 yrs b. Iowa
Mahaska County, Iowa, 1880 census:S8
- Myers, J. L., sen. 58 yrs Farming b. North Carolina (parents, b. North Carolina)
- Welthy 51 yrs Keeping House b. Ohio (parents, b. Pennsylvania)
- O. Jos. 20 yrs Telegraph operator b. Iowa (father, b. North Carolina; mother, b. North Carolina [sic; WRONG])
About 1890, he rented out his farm in White Oak Twp, Mahaska County, and moved into Rose Hill to retire.
Mahaska County (Rose Hill), Iowa, 1900 census:S9
- Myers, John L. Head 78 yrs (b. May 1822) (marr. 48 yrs) b. North Carolina (parents, b. North Carolina)
- Welthy Wife 71 yrs (b. Mar 1829) (5 children, 3 living)b. Ohio (parents, b. Pennsylvania)
- Whitaker, Elmer "Gran Son" 21 yrs (b. Jun 1878) Single b. Iowa (father, b. Indiana; mother, b. Iowa)
- ↑ Portrait and biographical album of Mahaska County, Iowa: containing full page portraits and biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens of the county, together with portraits and biographies of all the Governors of Iowa, and of the Presidents of the United States. (Chicago: Chapman Brothers, 1887).
Farmer & stock-raiser; owns 160 A.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Mahaska, Iowa, United States. Deaths, Bk. 2, p. 80.
Retired farmer, aged 79 yrs, b. NC, married, d. Rose Hill (of kidney trouble), bur. Wymore Cem.
- ↑ Cordelia (Myers) Smith, Family History Notes.
- The History of Mahaska County, Iowa: containing a history of the county, its cities, towns, &c., a biographical directory of citizens, war record of its volunteers in the late rebellion, general and local statistics, portraits of early settlers and prominent men, history of the Northwest, history of Iowa, map of Mahaska County, Constitution of the United States, miscellaneous matters, etc. (Des Moines: Union Historical Co., 1878), pp. 668.
He moved to Mahaska County, Iowa, in 1852, within a few months of his marriage.
Farmer; 200 A. (valued at $40/acre)
He served at various times as a Justice of the Peace, County Tax Assessor, Constable, & County Trustee; also served as Weighmaster (mostly a sinecure) at the stockyards in Rose Hill in his later years.
In the 1880s he was an active member of the Greenback Party.
- Mahaska, Iowa, United States. 1856 Iowa State Census, p. 1174, house/family 98/109.
- Mahaska County, Iowa. 1860 U.S. Census Population Schedule, p. 213, house/family 1489/1506.
- Mahaska County, Iowa. 1870 U.S. Census Population Schedule, White Oak Twp, p. 468.
- Mahaska County, Iowa. 1880 U.S. Census Population Schedule, ED 177, 389A., house/family 3/3.
- Mahaska County, Iowa. 1900 U.S. Census Population Schedule, ED 80[?], p. 3A, house/family 57/57.
- Docket Bk 7, in Mahaska, Iowa, United States. Probates, p. 569 (Box 630).
Will admitted to probate, 13 May 1901 (Record Bk P, p. 125)
Welthy Myers, admx. ($1,000 bond)
Joseph Myers, exec. (no bond required)
Final report, 28 Mar 1912 (Record Bk 12, p. 620)