Rev. John Montgomery
b.5 DEC 1752 Virginia
d.10 FEB 1818
m. 2 JUL 1738
m. JAN 1772
Facts and Events
Rev. John Montgomery was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
Rev. John Montgomery (ca. 1753-1818) He was born in the bounds of the New Providence congregation in Rockbridge County, Virginia, son of John Montgomery and Esther Houston. He graduated at Princeton in 1775, was a tutor and student at Liberty Hall Academy under Rev. William Graham and was licensed by Hanover Presbytery, October 28, 1778, with Benjamin Erwin. He was ordained April 27, 1780 and in October, 1781, given calls to Bethel Church, Washington Co., Virginia, concord and Providence in Campbell and Louisa counties, Reed Creek in Montgomery Co., and to the united congregations of Opequon, Cedar Creek and Winchester. He accepted the last and served there until May 24, 1789, when he informed Lexington Presbytery he had removed to Wahab and Rocky Spring Churches on Calf Pasture River. He owned land there and there he remained to his death on February 10, 1818. His wife was Agnes Hughart.
John Houston, father of Esther, and John Montgomery, her husband were the prime movers in the organization of the New Providence Church; Esther H. Montgomery, sister of Rev. John, married Rev. Samuel Doak , pioneer Presbyterian minister and founder of Churches and colleges in Tennessee.