John Miller, of Albemarle County and the Calfpasture, VA
Facts and Events
||John Miller, of Albemarle County and the Calfpasture, VA
John Miller was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Acquisition of Land in Orange County, VA Records:
- Pages 131-134. Indenture 16 July 1745 between James Patton and John Lewis, of Augusta County, and John Miller of same.. for five shillings.. sells 316 acres in Augusta County lying on both sides of the Great River of the Calf Pasture.. beginning.. Samuel Hodges.... (signed) James Patton (Seal), John Lewis (Seal). Witnesses: David Kinkead, Robert (B) Bratton. Sum of £10.10.6½ paid.. release acknowledged. Recorded Orange County 25 July 1745. [Orange County Virginia Deed Book 10, Dorman, pg. 41].
Records in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Undated, appears to be about 1750-1751. Inhabitants of Bull Pasture and head of Cowpasture petition for a road from Walles Asten's Mill to the road on the head of the Calfpasture: Robert Carrolile, Richard Bodkin, Thomas Wright, John Miller, James Hall, Horcklas Willson, John Carrolile, Samuel Forgerson, Michael Harper, Wm. Price, Philip Phegan, William Carrolile, Loftus Pullen, Mathew Harper, Hance Harper, James Anglen, John Shaw, John Carrolile. Wallas Aston to be overseer.
- MAY 28, 1751. (580) Road ordered to be cleared and kept in repair on the cowpasture by these inhabitants: Wallace Estill, Robert Carlile, John Carlile, Loftus Pullen, Richd. Bodkin, Saml. Ferguson, Mathew Harper, Thomas Wright, Michael Harper, Hance Harper, John Miller, William Price, James Anglen, James Hall, Philip Phegan, John Shaw, Herculus Wilson, William, and John Carlile.
- Page 394.--19th August, 1760. Loftus Pullen to James Shaw, £9, 240 acres on Great River Calfpasture, conveyed to Pullen by James Patton and Lewis, 17th July, 1745; cor. land formerly in possession of John Miller and now in posession of Jno. Ramsey; cor. Robert Bratton. Delivered: Jno. Bodkin by your order, October, 1765.
- Page 366.--31st March, 1768. James Shaw to John Ramsey, £45, 240 acres on Great Calfpasture, conveyed to Loftus Pullen by James Patton and Jno. Lewis, 17th July, 1745. and to James Shaw by Loftus, 19th August, 1760; corner land formerly in possession of John Miller, now in possession of Jno. Ramsey; corner Robert Bratton. Teste: James Crockett, John Stewart. Delivered: John Ramsey, August, 1770.