m. 22 October 1687
- John Jost Merten1691 - 1758
Facts and Events
Johann 'Jost' Merten was one of the Early Settlers of Germanna Colony
Immigration to Germanna Colony
Johannes Hoffman was listed among the first group of settlers to Germanna Colony in Virginia in April 1714:
- Jost Martin, 23, was also a bachelor, a year older than John Kemper.
Records in Virginiia
- F-263: Peter Hitt the Younger, son of Peter Hitt of Prince William County, 276 acres in said County. Surv. Mr. James Genn. Adj. Joseph Martin, Mr. Richard Buckner, the Great Run, Peter Kemper, Willis, Henry Martin, Rosser's Run. 13 Feb. 1746. [Virginia Northern Neck Land Grants, 1742-1775, Vol. 2, Gertrude E. Gray, pg. 14].
Information on Johann Merten
From Rootsweb.com post:
John Joseph Martin, b. 24 May 1691 in Muesen, Nassau-Seigen, Germany who married Marie Cathrine Utterbach. I have 12 children for them. I have his son Jacob married to a Sarah ??? but no other information Jacob.
This is my dad's fathers side of our family. Here are the notes I have on John Joseph Martin.
(from the book Fauquier County in the Revolution)John Joseph Martin, had been one of those stalwart German Pioneers, who had headed one of the twelve families that had setteled Germantown in 1720. Through thrift and imagination the Martins had prospered, but they had never held public office or taken much interest in public appairs. They were always interested in the militia, though, and most early rosters contain their name.
- ↑ Board.FBC.FBK.FTW.
Date of Import: 14 May 2004
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Ancestry.com/Ancestry Family Trees: Public Members Trees.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 International Genealogical Index. (LDS Church, 1999-2005).