Facts and Events
John McKinney was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 68.--20th August, 1748. Henry Downs, Gent., and Jane, to John McKemey farmer, 388 acres on north branch Shanando at end of Buckhill. (See infra, last entry from this book.) Teste: Ro. Rennick.
- Page 2.--Back of book reversed. Henry Downs to John McKearney, 20th August, 1748, conveyed to Thos. Chew, George Taylor, Benj. Cave, Justices of Orange, to take privy examination of Jane, wife of Henry, 25th May, 1749. Executed 15th August, 1749. See supra, p. 69. (refers to previous record).
Disposition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 404.--21st August, 1771. John McKemey and Agness to William McKemey son to said John, £100, 107 acres, part of tract conveyed to John by Henry Downs, on branch of North River of Shanando, at end of Buckhill. Teste: Thomas Woddall, John Hogshead, Alex. Kilpatrick. Delivered: William McKemy. 19th June, 1772.
Will of John McKinney
- Page 189.--20th August, 1789. John McKemey's will (Sr.), farmer-- To wife. Agness; to son, James; to daughters, Jean, Agness, Margaret, Elizabeth; to children, viz: William, Jean, John, Agness, James, Margaret, Elizabeth; to son Robert's son; John; "Each grandson named after testator, viz: William McKemey's son, John; John McKemy's son, John; John James McKemy's son, John, and John Cooper, John Bradshaw, John Montgomery, John Woodle." If daughter Jean's part be not demanded before her death, then to her children. Executors, sons William and John McKemy. Teste: Thomas Waddell, John Cooper, Richard Roche, Chas. Hogshead. Proved, 15th December, 1789, by Roche and Hogshead. Executors qualify.
- Page 77.--John McKemey's appraisement taken 22d September, 1792, by Robert Cooper, Robt. Harris, John Berry.
Processioning List of 1760
- "Processioning" was the periodic review and agreement of property lines between settler's lands. Processioning Lists are useful in determining the general area of a settlers lands and their neighbors at specific time periods:
- Vol. 2 - Page 272.--1760: Processioned by John Malkem and Alex. Blair, viz: For John Young, for Robert Young, for James Anderson, for Alex. Blair, for John Anderson, for John Francey, for Wm. Cunningham, fnr John McKemy. for Walter Trimble, for Hugh Dever, for John Davies, for _____ Doughlas, for Daniel Smith, for Bigham's land formerly known by the name of Gragg's, for Gabriel Pickens, for Robert Poage, for Abraham Smith, for Isaiah Shipman, for David Robiston, for Silas Hart, for John Cunningham, for Henry Smith, for Widow Ramsey, for Thomas Woodal, for Moses Hall, for Andrey McCown, for James Bell, for Edward Erwin, for Alex. Craig, for Wm. Frame, for Thos. Waterson, for Francis Brown, for John King, for John Searight, for John Kear, for Hugh Campbell, for Alex. Kile, for Robert Fowler, for James Gamble, for James Leeper, Sr. and Jr., for James Blair, for Edward Erwin's land formerly known as Brownlee's place, for Adam Stevenson, for Umphrey's place on North River, for Stevenson's place they live on, for Jacob and Christian Roleman, for John Malcom, for William Flimen, for Charles Campbell, for Robert Campbell, for William Brown, for Widow and John and James Alexander, for Michael Dickey, for James Young, for James Patterson, for Andrew Erwin, for John Erwin, for Edward Erwin, for Francis Erwin, for Hugh Campbell, Jr., for James McGill, for Robert Brown, for James Young.
Records of John McKinney in Augusta County, VA
- Page 45.--15th November, 1758. David Hogshead, farmer, and heir of Wm. Hogshead and Margrit to Charles Stewart, shoemaker, £7, 54 acres on head drafts of Moffet's Creek patented to William, 16th August, 1756. Teste: James Bell. Sampson Archer, Jno. McKemey.
- Page 46.--17th October, 1778. John Logan's estate appraised by John McKemy, Robt. McNutt, James Montgomery, David Rusel.
- Page 461.--28th August, 1782. Thomas Cunningham's estate appraised by Jno. McKeemy, Robt. M. D. Nall, James McClung.
- Page 295.--17th August, 1784. Robert Leister and Sarah to Abraham Bellow. Teste: John McKemey. Robert McGwillan, William Anderson. William Morrow, Robert Cooper, Robert Cooper.
- Page 305.--Hanse Patton and Phebe ( ) to Jacob Patton, 10th March, 1786. Teste: Jno. McKemey. Samuel McCutchan, Jr., Hanah Martin (Mardin), Jesse Martin.
- Page 530.--18th March, 1786. Robert Rusk's will--To wife, Elizabeth Rusk; to sons, John (oldest son) and James, infants; to son, John, plantation on Brown's Creek, 358 acres; to daughter, Rachel, under 13 years; 420 acres on Naps Creek to be sold; to oldest daughter, ____, under 18; to nephew, James Rusk, Sr.; to nephew, Robert Rusk; to nephew, Robert O'Dear; to brother, David Rusk; to mother, Margaret Rusk, and brother, Samuel Rusk, land left by father's will; to John Whitman, a debt to be paid; to daughters, Margaret, Jean, Hannah Rusk. Deed to be made to John Wilson, of Rockbridge, for land sold him. Executors, wife Elizabeth, brother John Rusk, and brother-in-law James Moore. Teste: John McKemy, Jno. O'Dair, Elizabeth Adaer, Margaret Rusk. Proved, 18th July, 1786, by Jno. McKemy and the Adairs. Executors qualify. (The name is several times spelled Risk.)
- Page 74.--9th March, 1787. David McCoskry's will--To wife, Grisel, until son John arrives to 21 years, executrix; to son, John, testator's plantation; to daughters, Elizabeth, Jean, Martha, Ann, Esher, Agness; to oldest daughter, Elizabeth, daughter, Esther; to wife and children, land on Licking Creek in Kentucky. Executors wife Jonathan Poage, James Tedford. Teste: Jno. McKemey. Wm. Morrows, Robert Cooper, Henry Venus. Proved, 17th June, 1788, by Morrow and Cooper. McKoskry and Poage qualify. Tedford appears and declines to qualify.
Information on John McKinney
14. John3 MaKemie (John2, Robert1) was born 1710 in Augusta County, Virginia, and died Bef. 1789 in Augusta County, Virginia. He married Agness Waddell Abt. 1735.
Children of John MaKemie and Agness Waddell are:
40 i. Capt. John4 McKemy, born Abt. 1728; died 1792 in Augusta County, Virginia. He married Elenore Cooper.
41 ii. James McKemey, born 1735; died Bef. March 27, 1818 in Augusta County, Virginia. He married Agness Francis; born Aft. 1802.
More About James McKemey:
Lived: Bet. 1787 - 1792, "...settled in Blount County, Tennessee about 1787-1792, and applied for his Revolutionary War pension there..."
Will: March 27, 1818
Notes for Agness Francis:
There is some controversy regarding Agness' surname. Many researchers have indicated Agness Cooper. However, Jim McKamey (jimrose01@@earthlink.net) has proven very nicely that her name was Agness Francis, the daughter of John Francis. Refer to LTR 152 for additional information.
42 iii. William McKemy, born 1740; died Aft. 1796 in Augusta County, Virginia. He married Isabella Cooper 1770 in York County, Pennsylvania; born 1730; died 1810 in Harriman, Roane County, Tennessee.
More About Isabella Cooper:
Emigration: 1798, "accompanied her so William C. McKamey, to that part of Knox County, Tennessee that became Roane County in 1801"
43 iv. Jean McKemy, born Bet. 1737 - 1758; died 1781. She married (1) James Cooper; born Abt. 1750; died 1781 in Rockbridge County, Virginia. She married (2) John Ferrell Bet. 1781 - 1787.
44 v. Robert McKemy, born Bet. 1740 - 1748 in South Carolina; died in Charleston, South Carolina. He married Sarah Jane Cunningham; born Abt. 1745; died Abt. 1817.
45 vi. Isabella Nancy McKemy, born Bet. 1742 - 1761 in Parnassus, Virginia; died 1829 in Pocohontas County, West Virginia. She married John Bradshaw Bet. 1782 - 1783 in Pocohontas County, West Virginia; born February 02, 1759 in England; died January 16, 1835 in Pocohontas County, West Virginia.
More About Isabella Nancy McKemy:
Burial: Old Huntersville Cemetery, Pocohontas, Virginia
More About John Bradshaw:
Burial: Old Huntersville Cemetery, Pocohontas, Virginia
Emigration: Moved to Augusta County, Virginia, now Highland County, Virginia
Military service: 1781, Drafted and served under Capt. Thomas Hicklin and others
46 vii. Elizabeth McKemy, born 1744; died April 06, 1820. She married Lt Joseph Wooddell; born 1752 in near Sangerville, Augusta County, Virginia; died July 26, 1834.
More About Elizabeth McKemy:
Burial: Warwick Graveyard,
More About Lt Joseph Wooddell:
Burial: Warwick Graveyard,
Military Info: Served as a Lieutenant in the American Revolutionary War
47 viii. Margaret McKemy, born Abt. 1746; died Abt. 1840. She married John Montgomery October 18, 1797.
48 ix. Agnes McKemy.
Help fund new features!