Facts and Events
John McFarland was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Acquisition of Land in Virginia:
- LAND: 1763-1764 VIRGINIA, Bedford County. John McFarland, 1763, purchased 100 acres on a branch of the Otter River in Bedford County from Edward Mannion. The next yerar, 1764, he purchased 212 1/2 acres at the head of Meadow Creek from Joshua Early. Bedford County, Virginia Deed Book 2, pp 228, 443.
Disposition of Land in Virginia:
- John McFarland and Mary, May 4, 1763, of Bedford County sold 106 acres, patent on Branch of Reed Creek to Hugh Montgomery for 52.10 pounds, by patent, 30 Oct 1752 on a branch of Reed Creek. Teste: Robert Mountgomery. Delivered H. Montgomerie May 1765. Augusta County, Virginia Deed Book 11, pp 328,329.
- LAND: 1767 VIRGINIA, Augusta County. John and Mary McFarland, 29 Oct 1767 of Bedford County sold 98 acres on a branch of Reed Creek, a branch of New River, to James Holles for 40 pounds. Land lying between said John McFarland ad the cove, patented to John 20 Jun 1753. Teste: Israel and William Christian, Daniel McNeill, Robert Breckenridge, Samuel Black, William Wright, William Bates, and George Dair. (Chalkley vol 3:461; Augusta County Deed Book 14:88).
- LAND: 1768 Botetourt County: John and Mary McFarland of Bedford county, Virginia and Robert and Martha McFarland of County of Orange, North Carolina, to David Doak for L156, 1,020 acres at Black Buffalo Lick on water of Wood (New) River. Annals of Southwest Virginia 1769-1800, by Lewis C. Summers, Kingsport Press, Kingsport, Tn, 1927 Vol 2, page 531.
- LAND: 1777 VIRGINIA, Bedford County. John McFarland, Sr.sold to son Benjamin 100 acres on a branch of the Otter River and 5 slaves and other personalproperty. Bedford County Deed Book 5, p 516.
- LAND-LINKS: 1778 VIRGINIA, Montgomery County 20 Oct 1778 from John McFarland Sr. of Russell Parish, Bedford County to John McFarland Jr. of Montgomery County, 367 acres on Reedy Creek (Montgomery County Deed Book A:234).
Information on John McFarland
Information on John McFarland
4. John MCFARLAND (Robert , Unknown Male ) was born about 1708 in Ireland. He died in 1784 in Bedford, Virginia.
John married Mary MONTGOMERY daughter of John MONTGOMERY about 1728 in (prob) Lancaster, Pennsylvania. Mary was born about 1712 in Scotland. She died about 1782 in Bedford Virginia.
John and Mary had the following children:
- + 12 M i Robert MCFARLAND
- 13 F ii Nancy MCFARLAND was born on 26 NOV 1731 in (prob) Lancaster, Pennsylvania. She died in 1798.
- Nancy married Andrew EVANS. Andrew was born on 26 NOV 1731 in Lancaster, Pennsylvania.
- 14 M iii James MCFARLAND was born on 10 FEB 1732/1733 in (prob) Lancaster, Pennsylvania. He died on 07 JUL 1755 in New River, Augusta, Virginia. [Notes]
- + 15 F iv Rachel MCFARLAND
- + 16 M v John MCFARLAND
- 17 M vi Arthur MCFARLAND was born on 19 JAN 1740/1741 in (prob ) Augusta, Virginia. [Notes]
- + 18 F vii Mary MCFARLAND
- 19 M viii Joseph MCFARLAND was born on 30 MAR 1745 in Russell Parish, Lunenburg, Virginia. He died before 1780 in Montgomery, Virginia. [Note
- + 20 M ix Benjamin Anderson MCFARLAND