Facts and Events
Information on John McCampbell
Kit - #9122
Oldest Proven Campbell Ancestor: John McCampbell of Ireland
Summary: John McCampbell (variant in Ireland, Miscampbell, etc.) was born in Ireland about 1688. Deed of Lease dated 1st November 1714 made between Robert Gordon of Ballintaggart, County Down and James Gray, John McScamell and Andrew McScamell of the townland of Ballintaggart. Deeds of Lease and Release dated 10th May 1753 made between John McScamell (McSkamoll) of Ballintaggart, Co. Down, Farmer and Andrew McScamell of Drumgiven, Civil Parish of Kilmore, County Down to Thomas Kennedy of Dublin, Attorney at Law. John emigrated to Augusta County (portion that became Rockbridge County) Virginia in 1753 with all of his family except the family of his son, James, who came in 1754. John witnessed a will in Augusta County, VA in 1758.
John and his wife (name unknown) had seven children - (1) James McCampbell, born about 1720. Married Mary Shannon in Ireland. (2) John McCampbell, born about 1722. Married, about 1750, to Eleanor McCormick in Ireland. (3) Andrew McCampbell, born about 1724. Married Ann Gilmore in Ireland. His will was filed 1/3/1786 in Rockbridge Co. (4) William McCampbell, born in 1739 in Ireland. Married, 1768, to Jane Cooper. Died, 1822, in Rockbridge Co. (5) Grizelda McCampbell. Born in Ireland. Died, unmarried. (6) Hannah McCampbell. Born in Ireland. Married Moses Cunningham in Ireland. (7) Sarah McCampbell. Born in Ireland. Married Alexander Telford.
William (1739) had a son William (1783) who had a son David Taylor McCampbell. David Taylor McCampbell and Elizabeth McCullough born were born in Union County, Ohio. He fell from a tree and could not work, so moved to White County, Indiana near his daughter. Both of them died in White County, Indiana. Their son Zenas McCampbell was born in Union County, Ohio. His first wife was Jennie Porter; second wife was Lulu Carson; third wife was Florence Ormerod; fourth wife was Sarah Eliot (widow of a Greene County, Ohio McCampbell). He and his first three wives lived in Union County, Ohio. He died in Whittier, California. Harold Carson McCampbell was born in Union County, Ohio and married Anna Elizabeth Norsworthy who was born in Wabash County, Illinois. They married at Battle Creek, Michigan. Anna died in New York State. Harold married, second, to Vesta Reed Lewis. Both of them died at Dunedin, Florida.
Line to Present Day Participant:
1. John McCampbell (c1688- aft 1758) of Ireland and Augusta County, VA
2. William McCampbell (1739-1822) and Jane Cooper of Augusta County, VA
3. William McCampbell (1783 - 1853) and Elizabeth Porter. They moved to Greene Co., Ohio in 1832 and on to Union Co., Ohio in 1834.
4. David Taylor McCampbell (1823 - 1902) and Elizabeth M. McCullough of White County, Indiana.
5. Zenas Calvin McCampbell (1863 - 1939) and (1) Jennie Porter; (2) Lulu Carson and (3) Florence Ormerod. (4) Sarah Eliot. Died in Whittier, California.
6. Harold Carson McCampbell (1895 - 1993) and (1) Anna Elizabeth Norsworthy and (2) Vesta Reed Lewis of Dunedin, Florida.
Family Web Site: n/a