m. BEF 1719
Facts and Events
John McCampbell was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
John McCampbell's land (Borden Tract NW, # acres not determined, part (or perhaps all) of Andrew Hays' 250-acre tract that Hays patented in 1754) as shown on the map meticulously drawn by J.R. Hildebrand, cartographer. This map is copyrighted©, used by permission of John Hildebrand, son of J.R. Hildebrand, April, 2009. (Note: From the records of adjoining landholders, Charles and Andrew Hays, it can be determined that the tract that Andrew Hays sold at least part of was the 250-acre tract patented in 1754. This was apparently the only tract that adjoined land of both Andrew and Charles Hays, both of which adjoined the land of John McCampbell, according to the record of 8th October, 1765, listed below).
Records of John McCampbell in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
Information on John McCampbell
Kit - #10139
Oldest Proven Campbell Ancestor: John McCampbell (c.1688) of Ireland.
Summary: The earliest record our family has is a family register written in the 1850s by the Rev. John McCampbell of Jefferson County, Tennessee. It is an amazing document in which he names all his aunts, uncles, their children, and information on his parents and grandparents. Very few errors have been discovered in this register. The earliest record in Virginia is a deposition made by William McCampbell who testified in an Augusta County, Virginia, disputed land court suit that he had come on the Borden Grant in 1756. Most genealogists assume that John I as mentioned in Rev. John McCampbell's register came to Virginia with his family; however, there is no documentation to prove that fact. Several of his sons were Revolutionary War pensioners and from their pensions we know that they were born in County Down and County Derry, Ireland, in the 1720s.
Line to Present Day Participant:
1. John McCampbell b. ca 1688 (name of wife unknown)
2. John McCampbell I b. ca 1722 Ireland d. 1786 Rockbridge County, Virginia. Married Eleanor McCormick in Ireland.
3. John McCampbell II b. ca 1761 Rockbridge County, Virginia. Married Martha Bennett 25 May 1786 in Rockbridge County.
4. Benjamin Bennett McCampbell b. 1803 possibly Mercer County, Kentucky. Married Margaret Anderson on 30 January 1823 in Knox County, Tennessee.
5. Samuel Shannon McCampbell b. 1842 Knox County, Tennessee. Married Sarah Prudence Smith on 1 September 1868 in Knox County, Tennessee.
6. Bruce Philip McCampbell b. 1883 Knox County, Tennessee. Married Mary Isobel Rankin on 4 June 1913 in Knox County, Tennessee.
7. Bruce Rankin McCampbell b. 1916 Knox County, Tennessee. Married Irma Faye Williams of Bruce, Mississippi, on 12 October 1941 in Bruce, MS.
Family Web Site: N/A