Facts and Events
John Mays was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Records of John Mays in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records: (not sure if this record is for this John Mays)
- Vol. 1 - MARCH 20, 1770. - (65) John May took the oath of an attorney.
Will Abstract of Wife Mary
- Mays, Mary. Will probate March 1822.
- Names Children: Susannah Tate, Mary Cross and James Mays.
- [Source: Early Marriages, Wills and some Revolutionary War Records, Botetourt County, Virginia, Compiled by Anne Lowry Worrell, pg. 59].
Information on John Mays
- From Genforum.com post:
- From: CountryG@aol.com
- Subject: Mays PA VA KY TN MO TX
- Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 17:48:29 EDT
- John Mays Sr. b 1733-1740 Lancaster Pa?Married Mary Rusk 1762 in PA. Served in Capt Fishborne's 4th Pa Reg. Died 1785 in Botetourt Co Va. John's farm was between Eagle Rock and Fincastle Va. The Mays cemetery is across from the farm up on a hill, overlooking the James River. John's stone is unmarked. John did not leave a will. Don't know when he died or where.
- Matthew Mays b 1-1-1774 Lancaster Pa Died 1-16-1841 Boteoturt Co Va. Married 1-8-1799 Boteoturt Co Va. Esther Reid
- Robert Mays b 3-20-1766 Lancaster Pa died in Green Co KY married Margaret McClanahan 12-2-1790 Augusta Co Va.
- James Mays Sr. b 6-13-1764 Lancaster Pa died 6-30-1853 Boteoturt Co Va married Mary Reid (sister of Esther) 10-30-1795 Botetourt Co Va
- Susanna Mays married John Tate
- Mary Polly Mays married John Cross 9-24-1795 Botetourt Co Va
- John Mays Jr. no other info on him it is believed he moved somewhere down south.