Facts and Events
John Matthews was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
John Matthew's land (Borden Tract NE, 295 acres, 1742) as shown on the map meticulously drawn by J.R. Hildebrand, cartographer. This map is copyrighted©, used by permission of John Hildebrand, son of J.R. Hildebrand, April, 2009.
Acquisition of Land from Orange County, Virginia records:
- Pages 135-139. 10-11 June 1742. Benjamin Borden of Orange County, Gent., to John Mathews of same, yeoman. Lease and release; for ₤8.18.5½ current money. 297 acres 2 rood 10 pole, part of 92,100 acres paten (patented) 6 Nov. 1739.. on a hill called Timber Ridge corner to John Greay's land... (signed) Benjamin Borden. Wit: Alexa. (O) McCary, Robt. Hustan, Charles Quill. 26 Aug. 1742. Acknowledged by Benjamin Borden, Gent. [Orange County Virginia Deed Book 8, Dorman, pg. 73].
- John Matthews received a patent for 335 acres "on the North River" on 7 March 1745. [Orange County Virginia Deed Book 10, Dorman, pg. 54].
- John Mathews, Sr., had a grant of 1,600 acres on Mill Creek of James River. Part of the tract Robert Poage obtained from George Robinson and James Wood by Caveat. (Orange County, Virginia records). He sold several portions of this land (1,036 acres) from 1750-1756, as listed below. This land is described in the following record:
- Captain John Mathews, commissioned Captain in 1742, took up by Royal Grant, 1,600 acres of land. This tract, roughly an oblong diamond shape, extended from near Buffalo Forge to the rear of and beyond "Hickory Hill". It was three miles long and one and one-half miles wide in the middle. The Falling Springs Church and cemetery are on the tract near the Northeastern corner. (Source: Colonel C. N. Feamster, Rockbridge County, Virginia Bi-Centennial 1738-1938)
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 515.--19th March, 1755. Robert Poag' (Poage, Poague) and Elizabeth to John Mathews, Gent., £30, 194 acres on Mill Creek joining John Poage. Delivered: John Mathews, son of Richard, March 6, 1773.
Disposition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 505.--18th May, 1748. 165. John Mathews, yeoman, to William Carruthers, yeoman, 297 acres, 2 R., 10 P., part of Borden's 92,100, and conveyed by Borden to John, 11th June, 1742, on a hill called the Timber Ridge; corner to John Gray. Teste: Benj. Borden, Richard Wood, Alexander McCoskey. Acknowledged, 19th May, 1748.
- Page 805.--25th August, 1750. John Mathews, Gent., and Ann, 296 acres, to John Berrisford, farmer, James River, North Branch of James; Philip Weaver's Bottom; McDowell's Meadow Creek; corner McDowell. Teste: Edward Boyle, Joshua and Richard Mathews.
- Page 388.--12th April, 1753. John Mathews and Ann to James Huston 140 acres on Back Creek of Roanoke; place called Turkey Bottom. Teste: John Mathews, Jr., and Joshua Mathews.
- Page 439.--16th August, 1753. John Maxwell and Mary to John Mathews, Jr., 381 acres on a branch of Mill Creek; Ann Salling's hill. Sold to John by Ewin Patterson, 1750. Delivered: James Lockhart, June, 1757. (Note: this references John Matthews and Mary, perhaps a mistake? His wife Ann was listed in later deeds (listed below))
- Page 335.--16th August, 1756. John Mathews Sr., and Anne ( ) to Richard Mathews, £10, 300 acres in Forks of James upon Mill Creek, joining George Mathews. Jno. Maxwell's line, cor. Jno. Mathews, Sr. Teste: Jno. Mathews. Jr., Geo. Trout, Ann Mathews, Jr. Delivered: James Lockhart, June, 1757.
- Page 337.--16th August, 1756. John Mathews, Sr., gent., and Ann to George Mathews, £10, 300 acres in Forks of James on Mill Creek, joining Jno. Poage. John Maxwell's line, cor. Richard Mathews.
Will of John Matthews, Sr.
- Page 205.--20th April, 1757. John Mathews' will, of Forks of James River, Gent.--To son John, tract where on son John lives; to son Joshua, tract whereon son Joshua lives for life with remainder to Joshua's 2 children, Anna and Elizabeth, both infants; if they die in infancy, then to their uncle George, and Archer, and William; son Richard, 1 shilling; to son Sampson, tract called Kelley's entry on Borden's Branch, 350 acres; to son George, 1 shilling; daughters, Jane, Anne, Rachel, 1 shilling each; daughter Elizabeth, infant; sons William and Archer, infants; wife, Anne; to poor of Augusta Parish provided it is not divided before testator's death. Executors, sons Sampson and George, who are to convey to Wm. Bradshaw a tract sold to Bradshaw. Teste: Mathew Campbell, Anna Kelley, Jno. Poage. Proved, 16th November, 1757, by Campbell and Poage. Executors qualify with John Poage, John Mathews.
- Page 255.--1st March, 1758. John Mathews' appraisement, by Alex. Beggs, Jno. Maxwell, James Simpson.
Records of John Matthews, Sr. in Augusta County, VA
- Page 209.--19th March, 1746. Benj. Borden & Co. to Mathew Gyle (Lyle). Testator agreed to sell in his lifetime, 451 acres, 2 R., 17 P., for £13.10.0 current money Virginia, part of 92,100, grantee's old survey; Thomas McSpadon's line; John Mathews' line; John Gray's corner. Witnessed and acknowledged as above.
- Page 436.--18th November, 1747. £5. Benj. Borden to Samuel Gray (sold in testator's lifetime), 175 acres, part of 92,100; corner to Jno. Mathews on the timber ridge; corner to Moses Trimble; John Huston's line. Teste and acknowledged as above.
- Page 505.--27th February, 1749. Deed for the Glebe. Robert Campbell, Gent., to James Lockhart and John Madison, Church Wardens, and the other vestrymen, viz: James Patton, John Buchanan, Patrick Hays, John Christian, John Buchanan, Robert Alexander, Thomas Gordon, John Archer, John Mathews, John Smith, 200 acres in Beverley Manor. Corner James Clarke. 350 acres conveyed to Robert by Beverley, 24th July, 1740. Teste: Patrick Cook, John Risk, Matthew Wilson, Nathan Patterson, Samuel Walker.
- Page 361.--23d May, 1751. Improvements valued of William Henderson's plantation on North Branch of James River, by John Mathews and John McClure. (Sworn by John Mathews, Sr.)
- Page 165.--Same date (28th November, 1751). Same (From James Patton) to John Berrisford, 120 acres by patent as above. McDowells Meadow run in Forks of James. Survey of John Mathews; McDowell's line.
- Page 30.--15th March, 1754. Valuation of improvements on John Mathews' place in Forks of James River, by Jno. Poage, Jno. Maxwell, Jno. Hargar.
- Page 75.--10th November, 1754. Robert Armstrong's will--Daughter, Hannah Kircum. 1/3 of tract he now lives on bought of Col. Patton; daughter, Catherine Finney, 1 English shilling; sons, John and Robt., tract on Mill Creek bought of John Allison; sons (and daughters), infants, viz: James and Benjamin; daughters (under 18); to son, James, entry on head of McClure's Run; wife, Martha, executrix; daughters, Martha, Alice and Agnes, infants. Teste: John Mathews, Sr., William Woods, John Mitchell. Proved, 21st November, 1754, by Mathews and Mitchell, and Martha qualifies executrix, with sureties John and Joshua Mathews.
- Page 447.--21st November, 1754. Robert Poage and Elizabeth to John Poage, £25, 300 acres on Mill Creek of James River; corner John Mathews, corner Joseph Walker.
- Page 280.--13th March, 1756. William Coruthers and Margaret ( ) to John Macky, £115, 361 acres, part of Borden's 92.100 and conveyed to William by John Mathews, gent., 18th June, 1748. Cor. John White in James Greenlee's line; cor. Samuel Gray's new survey; said Coruthers' old survey.
Help fund new features!