Facts and Events
John Man was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
- Not to be confused with contemporary John Mann (1725-1773/78), son of John Mann, Sr. of Ireland and Jackson River, Augusta County, Virginia.
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 377.--15th March, 1768. Barnet Man and Ann Margret ( ) to John Man, £10, 120 acres, part of 320 acres patented to Bamet, 12th May, 1759, on Stoney Run; corner George Mann's land. Teste: George Mallow, Jacob ( ) Man. Delivered: Jno. Mann, 31st May, 1773.
Processioning List of 1767/8
- "Processioning" was the periodic review and agreement of property lines between settler's lands. Processioning Lists are useful in determining the general area of a settler’s lands and their neighbors at specific time periods:
- Page 448.--1767-68: Processioned by Augustine Price and Frederick Armontrout, viz: For Peter Teasler, for Peter Seller, for Michael Shurle, for John Coutts, for Jacob Man, for John Man, for Jacob Herman, for Henry Long for George Mellow, for Anthony Aeiler, for Jacob Nicholas, for John Hetrick, for Henry Seller, for Alveness Roy(g)ers, for Christopher Deter for George Man, for Peter Miller, for George Miller, for George Fridle, for Peter Herman, Jr.; for Augustine Price, Anthony Aeiler present; for Jacob Arcebright, for Adam Heterick, for Adam Pens, for Jacob Miller, for James Fraiser, for Thomas Burke, for Peachey Gilmore for Charles Rush, for Fredk. Armentrout, for David Fraizer, for Jno. Craige.
Records in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Vol. 1 - Petition, 18th May, 1749, of inhabitants of North River and Picot (peaked) Mountain for a road beginning at John Man's smithshop on the south side of the Peaked Mountain, thence eastward to John M(W)igard's joining to the mountain road and from the smithshop westward to the Stone Meeting House, joining to the Court House Road, and that Jacob Rodger, Robert Scot and James Berd be appointed to lay it out. Jacob Herman, Feldy Pence, Mathew Shope, Jacob Maler, John Bomgardner, John Lynn, Jacob Rodgers, James Berd, Jacob Perer, Mathew Sharp, ____ Man, Jacob Man, William Milburn, Jared Chambers, Robert Scot, Robert Hooks, George Scot, William Craig, John Craig, Mathew Thomson, Mathew Thomson, Jr.
- Page 469.--21st May, 1766. Bamet (s/b Barnet) Man and Margret ( ) to George Man, £20, 100 acres, part of tract patented to Barnet, 12th May, 1759, on Stoney Run, corner Jacob Man's land. Teste: Jacob Parsinger, Steven Conrod, John Man.
Help fund new features!