Facts and Events
||Capt. John Madison
||to Ann (add)
Records of John Madison in Virginia
- 1704 (S) VA Quit Rent Rolls: John Maddison, 300 acres in King & Queen Co., VA.
- 28 April 1714 - John Madison appointed as Justice of King & Queen Co.
- 20 February 1719 - John Madison, Jr., Esq.,” patented 400 acres on both sides of the North fork of the South River in St. Margaret’s Parish, King William Co., VA. (S) PB 11, P3.
- 24 March 1725/6 - John Madison received a 2,150 acre land patent in in St. Margaret’s Parish, King William Co., in which his father is said to be deceased. (S) PB 12, P390. [This became part of Caroline Co. in 1727.]
- 15 October 1725 - John & Ann Madison were godparents to Mary Camm. (S) Bible Rcd. of John Camm & Mary Bullock.
- 1726-1727 John Madison named in an account book.
- 28 September 1728 - Capt. John Madison of King & Queen Co., VA, received a land patent of 1000 acres in Spotsylvania Co., VA, at the foot of a great mountain. (S) PB 13, P350.
- 4 November 1734 - John Madison of Drysdale Parish, King & Queen, Co., VA, deeded 1,000 acres in St. Mark’s Parish, Spotsylvania Co., VA, to his niece, Elizabeth Madison, eldest daughter of my brother, Ambrose Madison, lately deceased. (S) Spotsylvania Co., VA, DB-C.
- 12 March 1741/2 - John Madison's brother Thomas ordered to lay off the most convenient way for a road from the place where the new church is to be erected. John Madison, … to assist the surveyors.
- 1748-49, 1752-54, John Madison a member of the Burgesses. (S) Leg. Journals of the Council of Col. VA, Waine, PP1036
Note: the source above claims that this John Madison was the father of George Madison, who became Governor of Kentucky and Bishop James Madison, who served as President of William & Mary College. This is incorrect, the father of Gov. George Madison and Bishop James Madison was John Madison who married Agatha Strother, who was a nephew of this John Madison.
Information on John Madison
The will of John Madison, brother of Ambrose and James, was not found but it is believed that he also gave James Stodgill 400 acres on Swift Run creek.