Facts and Events
John Lowry was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
- From "History of the House of Ochiltree of Ayrshire, Scotland", pg. 131:
- THE LOWRYS
- The Lowrys, and Campbells, and the Todds to whom the Lowrys were related, and with whom they intermarried, were among the oldest families of the Valley of Virginia. The Lowrys came from Londonderry North Ireland, settling first in Pennsylvania. John Lowry was born in 1740, in that part of Augusta County which afterwards became Rockbridge County. He married in 1768, Mary Campbell, of Frederick.
- They died in Virginia. To them were born 5 children.
- A. James Lowry; m. Miss Snyder.
- B. Jennie Lowry; b. in Va.; died in Ind.; unmarried.
- C. Joseph Lowry; m. Nancy (or Ann) Ochiltree.
- D. Elizabeth Lowry; b. 1773; d. in Ind.: unmarried.
- E. Mary Lowry; b. 1774; never married; lived with her sisters, on a farm which they owned, in Indiana.