Facts and Events
John Lockhart was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
John Lockhart's land (Beverley Manor SW, 202 1/2 acres, acquired from Robert Poage in 1743) as shown on the map meticulously drawn by J.R. Hildebrand, cartographer. This map is copyrighted©, used by permission of John Hildebrand, son of J.R. Hildebrand, April, 2009.
Acquisition of Land from Orange County, Virginia Records:
- Pages 411-413. 27 June 1743. Robert Poage of Augusta County to John Lockard of same. For ₤15 current money. 202 1/2 acres, part if 118,491 acres granted by Patten to Col. Wm. Beverley, Sir John Randolph of City of WilliamsBurg, John Robinson of King and Queen County and Richard Robinson of King and Queen County and Richard Randolph of Henrico County, Gent., 6 Sept. 1736... Sir John Randolph, John Robinson and Richard Randolph by deed 18 Sept. 1736 relinquished unto Wm. Beverely all their interest... Col. William Beverley did sell unto Robert Poage 202 1/2 acres 24 July 1740 for ₤6.1.6 current money... Robert Ramsey's line... Robt. Poage. Wit. Thos. Lewis, John Trimble, John Poage. Plat of 202 1/2 acres. 25 Aug. 1743. Acknowledged by Robert Poage. [Orange County Deed Book 7, pg. 64].
Disposition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 442.--21st August, 1751. John Lockhart and Rebecca, to David Hayes, 202-1/2 acres in Beverley Manor; Robert Ramsey's line.
Records of John Lockhart in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley's Augusta County Records:
- Page 330.--13th August, 1747. Wm. Beverley to Helen Mitchell, widow, £6.8.6; 200 acres in Beverley Manor; Brackenridge's line; corner to Teat's line; corner to David Doak; John Lockhart's corner; John Teat's land. Witnessed and proved as above.
- Page 24.--Wm. Beverley to Nathaniel Steel, Beverley Manor; corner John Teat and Geo. Brackenridge, Jno. Lockhart and Ramsey, David Steel, James Fulton, 17th June, 1748.
- Page 217.--5th April, 1749. Wm. Beverley to John Teat, 344 acres in Beverley Manor. Corner James Linn, Steel's land. Corner Jno. Lockhart, Brackenridge s line.
- Page 446.--21st September, 1750. John Greer's vendue. Sold to John Lockhart. John Roseman, Sarah Lynn, John Teat, John Mitchell, Christopher Kelly, George Breckinridge, Thos. Scott, James Lynn, Thos. Teat, Francis Beaty, John Mitchell.
- Page 198.--20th November, 1759. Helenor (Helander) ( ) Mitchell to Robt. Mitchell, £5, 200 acres in Beverley Manor, Robt. Wilson s line; corner Jno. Teate (Tate), David Doack's land; Jno. Lockart's corner. Teste: James Kowan.
Help fund new features!