Facts and Events
John Lapsley was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
John Lapsley, Probable Brother of Joseph Lapsley
John Lapsley is being placed as a probable brother of Joseph Lapsley, who migrated to Augusta County, Virginia and settled in the "Borden Tract", which is located in what is now Rockbridge County, Virginia. The records of John Lapsley are presented below. Additional research is necessary to prove any relationship.
Processioning List of 1767-68
- "Processioning" was the periodic review and agreement of property lines between settler's lands. Processioning Lists are useful in determining the general area of a settlers lands and their neighbors at specific time periods:
- Page 449.--1767-68: Processioned by Jon. Lapesly, Robert Moore, all lands in their bounds except, viz: William and James Hall, Daniel Evans, Samuel Todd, James Davis, Jno. McMurtrey, James McMath, John Young. Processioned by James Craig, James Patterson: For Henry Reburn, Wm. Lam, John King, Robt. Craige, James Givens, Saml. Bell, Jno. Givens, Philip Harless, Thos. Storrey, John Stewart, Hugh Allon, Timothy Call, Edward Rutledge, James Care, Wm. Patterson, Saml. Henderson, Wm. Roberson, Wm. Scillarn, James Anderson, Wm. Hindes, Thomas Turke, David Mack, Neiley Christian Clemons, Robert Steon, James Craige, Thomas Raferty.
Records of John Lapsley in Augusta County, VA
- Page 30.--20th March, 1754. Drury Bealy's (Bailey) appraisement, by John Lapsley, Saml. McClure, John Paxton.
- Page 309.--15th May, 1756. James Young and Sarah, Patrick Young and Isabell to Andrew Hall, £50, 110 acres being the tract where James Young now liveth, including James Young's mill in the Fork of James River, crossing Whistle Creek, cor. Patrick Young. Teste: Jno. Lapesley, Samuel McCluer. Delivered: Wm. Bowyer, August, 1758.
- Page 356.--11th November, 1756.: Alex. McClure and Susanna ( ) to Thomas Dredin, £38, 163 acres on North Branch of James, cor. James Moor. Teste: John Lapslie, Wm. Lapslie, Moses McCluer, James Thompson.
- Page 274.--15th November, 1758. John Lyle's appraisement, by John Lapsley, Robt. Lusk, Jno. Mahey, Robt. Huston.
- Vol. 1 - MAY AND NOVEMBER, 1759 (A). - Fitzpatrick vs. Peggs.--Signatures of William and John Lapslie.
- Vol. 1 - AUGUST 20, 1765. - 437) Henry Aulford exempted from County levy. John Lapsley exempted from County levy. Gilbert Campbell exempted from County levy. Commission for private examination of Mary, wife of Hugh Hays.
Help fund new features!