d.May 1773 Glendermott, Ireland
Facts and Events
The Rev John Holmes, a Licentiate of Lanark Presbytery, he was ordainded at Donegal 27 Sep 1715. He was called to Ardstraw in 1731, but the Derry sub-Synod refused to transport him. He resigned in 1744 and was installed at 2nd Glendermott on 19 April 1744. Being the first minister of Second Glendermott, he had the responsibility of building the first church and as well as settling a congregation after an unpleasant division. However Mr Holmes proved he was capable and the new church was erected at the crossroads near First Glendermott and was completed in 1744. Mr Holmes’ name appears on a tablet at the front of the building. This building was used as a church hall after the reunification of the two churches, but is used for commercial purposes now. Rev Holmes died in 1773 and was succeeded by the Rev Henry Miller M.A.