Facts and Events
John Hogshead was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 142.--16th March, 1768. David Hogshead and Margaret ( ) to John Hogshead, Jr., £26, 172 acres on Moffet's Branch, part of 285 acres patented to John Hogshead David 16th June, 1744, hiccory at the foot of the Little Mountain. Teste: George Moffett, Roger and Alexander Kilpatrick. Delivered: James Hogshead, 25th July, 1770.
- Page 396.--18th May, 1768. James Hogshead and Elizabeth ( ) to John Hogshead, Jr., 20 shillings. 45 acres on Moffet's branch being part of his father's tract of 400 acres bearing date 1st June, 1746,; corner said John's line. Delivered: George Moffett, Michael Hogshead, James Allen Delivered: James Hogshead, 25th July, 1770.
Will of John Hogshead
- Page 347 - - 22nd October, 1793. John (mark) Hogshead's will - - To wife, Rebecca; son, William; son, John; daughter, Agness; daughter, Jean; daughter, Mary; daughter, Rebecca; daughter, Martha; son, Gordon. Executors, brother Michael Hogshead and friend James Hogshead. Teste: David Hogsett, Francis Gulikson, Thos. Hogshitt. Proved, 19th February, 1799, by all witnesses. Executors refuse, also widow. Eldest son William is not a resident of Virginia. Administration granted to son John.
- FEBRUARY 19, 1799 - (464) John Hogshead's will proved, and widow Rebecca refuses to administer. William Hogshead, the eldest son, is not an inhabitant of this State. Son, John Hogshead, qualified.
Records of Archibald Hamilton in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley's Augusta County Records:
- Page 472.--22d January. 1747-8. £75. William Anderson to Robt. Gilkeson, 400 acres on a branch of Cathey's River called Anderson's branch granted to Wm. Anderson by patent, 1st December, 1740; corner to James and John Hogshead. Teste: Samson Archer, John Francis, George Anderson. Acknowledged by William, 16th March, 1747, and dower released by Elizabeth.
- NOVEMBER 27, 1751. - (206) John Hogshead's improvements to be valued.
- AUGUST 20, 1755. - (465) John Hogshead, qualified Lieutt. of Foot.
- Page 499.--20th March, 1764. Alex. Blair and Jean (Jany to John Blair his son, £10, 102 acres on Long Glade, part of 400 acres on which Alex. lives; corner James Blair's land, joining James Anderson. Teste: John Hogshead, Isaac Carson.
- Page 142.--16th March, 1768. David Hogshead and Margaret ( ) to John Hogshead, Jr., £26, 172 acres on Moffet's Branch, part of 285 acres patented to John Hogshead David (?) 16th June, 1744, hiccory at the foot of the Little Mountain. Teste: George Moffett, Roger and Alexander Kilpatrick. Delivered: James Hogshead, 25th July, 1770.
- MARCH 17, 1772 - (329) Hugh McGlaughlin, orphan of Hugh McGaughlin, aged 14, to be bound to John Hogshead, he teaching him the trade of a currier, farmer and shoemaker
- Page 240.--217 acres patented to John Frances, 5th April, 1748. 100 acres patented to John Hogshead, 16th August, 1786. Teste: Zachariah Taliaferro.
- ORDER BOOK No. XIV - DECEMBER 18, 1798 - (443) Margaret Hogshead, orphan of John Hogshead, over 14, chose John Hogshead her guardian
Information on John Hogshead
Family Group Record FamilySearch® Ancestral File™ v4.19
John HOGSHEAD (AFN:KW87-53)
Born: Abt 1724 Place: Pennsylvania
Died: 1798 Place: Augusta Co., Virginia
Buried: Place: Old Aug. Ch. Cem, Augusta Co., Virginia, Ch. On Not
Father: John HOGSHEAD (AFN:KW7P-VJ)
Mother: Nancy WALLACE (AFN:KW7P-WP)
Born: < 1728 Place: <Pennsylvania>
1. Sex Name
F Sally HOGSHEAD (AFN:KW87-4W)
Born: < 1750 Place: <Pennsylvania>
- Ancestry Family Trees. (Online publication - Provo, UT, USA: The Generations Network. Original data: Family Tree files submitted by Ancestry members.), Ancestry Family Trees.