Facts and Events
John Hodge, Jr. was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Records of John Hodge, Jr. in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Vol. 2 - Page 99.--17th June, 1752: John Hodgh, son to John and Elizabeth Hodgh, bound to Samuel Newman.
- Vol. 1 - NOVEMBER 22, 1768. - (61) Robert Brown and James Sawyer, Jr., to view the nearest and most convenient way thro' Buffalo Gap to the road leading to Staunton. Thomas Hughart and Andrew Hamilton to view the most convenient way from John Hodges' to the Buffalo Gap road.
- Vol. 1 - NOVEMBER 17, 1773. - (225) John Hodge, vice Thomas Hughart, road surveyor.
- Vol. 1 - SEPTEMBER 15, 1778. - (356) James Gay appointed road surveyor from Jenning's Gap to John Hodge's house. Adam Bratton appointed road surveyor from the place above Andrew Hamilton's where William Matear leaves off to Col. Mathews's storehouse. Charles Donnelly appointed road surveyor from Col. Mathews's store to Leonard Bell's former bounds. Andrew Anderson appointed road surveyor from the Middle River to William Poage's, with tithables from William Wallace's down.
- Vol. 2 - Cathey vs. Brown--O. S. 184; N. S. 65--Bill 1811. In 1783 Jacob Holman made his will in Shenandoah and shortly afterwards died. Orator William Cathey married the widow in December, 1784. Jacob's daughter, Rebecca, married John Martin. Martin died and orator took the widow and children to live with him. Then Rebecca died. Orator moved to Kenawha. Defendants are, viz: Charles Brown, Wm. Whitaker, Joseph Brown, John Hodge and Elizabeth, his wife; Larkin Raines and Hanah, his wife, late Hannah Martin; John Martin; Elizabeth, Hannah and John being children of Rebeccah Martin. Will of Jacob Holman of Shenandoah County dated 26th October, 1783. Wife, Margaret; sons, Daniel, Andrew, Jacob Herod Holeman; daughters, Elizabeth Dobkin, Rachel Holeman; daughters, Rebecca, Mary Ann.
John Hodge, Sr married Elizabeth Winstead and died in Augusta Co VA in 1750 and his son John Hodge, Jr who married Hannah Elizabeth Newberry and died in Caswell Co NC in 1785. John Jr's daughter, Elizabeth married Ephriam Sargent in Caswell Co NC in 1792.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Ancestry.com/Ancestry Family Trees: Public Members Trees.